Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-04-2019, 12:55 AM   #57
TrickracenLS3

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
I understand what you’re trying to say but your logic is fatally flawed. The vast majority of people don’t replace their cars like they replace their CDs. Nor do they replace their perfectly functioning garage door motor units because a model came out that has WiFi.

And while garage door openers may feature WiFi it’s not in the majority of openers and it isn’t a standard feature for most of them. It’s an upgrade. Homelink is nowhere near obsolete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You can add a $50 item to make your garage up to date
Current: 2016 Tahoe LT
Current: 2018 Mini Countryman S
TrickracenLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #58
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickracenLS3 View Post
You can add a $50 item to make your garage up to date

The vast majority of people aren’t investing in WiFi garage door openers whether they’re replacing the entire motor unit or purchasing an add-on like the MyQ Gateway from Chamberlain. It’s not something that gets a lot of thought nor time yet they’re used nearly every day and often times multiple times per day. The add-on isn’t $50, if you’re talking the Chamberlain, it’s more like $80, but if you need the bridge that’s an additional $70 and if you have two motor units for separate doors you’ll need a $40 sensor for each extra door.

The point is Homelink isn’t obsolete, but I understand the point you’re making which is that there are ways to still have your door open without Homelink.

And this is coming from a proponent of the Chamberlain MyQ. I’ve used them in every home I’ve had since 2013 and bought one for my Dad. They have their benefits and their faults, and while they’re useful additions, they’re no replacement for Homelink.

ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #59
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithias View Post
That's completely false. It was removed because they added the frontal collision warning system, which imo is way better, and the home link was removed due to power usage constraints.

And auto dimming mirrors are still there too.
This is entirely inaccurate. There are other alpha chassis vehicles that can combine all of these features without power usage constraints, not to mention the fact that the algorithm would be well aware that the likelihood of a collision event during usage of the homelink function is next to nil. Also homelink has a battery backup function.... so many reasons why this is false.

The good news is that you can very easily add it with a $20 Ford part off of EBAY...
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:10 AM   #60
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
This is entirely inaccurate. There are other alpha chassis vehicles that can combine all of these features without power usage constraints, not to mention the fact that the algorithm would be well aware that the likelihood of a collision event during usage of the homelink function is next to nil. Also homelink has a battery backup function.... so many reasons why this is false.

The good news is that you can very easily add it with a $20 Ford part off of EBAY...
Actually, this raises a very interesting point.
  • CTS (Alpha platform, bigger than Camaro) offers both HomeLink and Camera Mirror.
  • ATS (Alpha platform, similar size to Camaro) offers HomeLink but does not offer Camera Mirror. At least I haven't been able to find it in the build options.
  • Camaro (Alpha platform, similar size to ATS) offers Camera Mirror but does not offer HomeLink.

The people I have talked to at GM told me it was an issue of what could fit in the overhead console and that based on that, HomeLink had to go. So is the overhead console on the CTS larger than the overhead consoles in ATS and Camaro?
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:03 PM   #61
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Actually, this raises a very interesting point.
  • CTS (Alpha platform, bigger than Camaro) offers both HomeLink and Camera Mirror.
  • ATS (Alpha platform, similar size to Camaro) offers HomeLink but does not offer Camera Mirror. At least I haven't been able to find it in the build options.
  • Camaro (Alpha platform, similar size to ATS) offers Camera Mirror but does not offer HomeLink.

The people I have talked to at GM told me it was an issue of what could fit in the overhead console and that based on that, HomeLink had to go. So is the overhead console on the CTS larger than the overhead consoles in ATS and Camaro?
That the only thing it can be, as the overhead console only has 3 pockets, and as all the new mirrors don't have onstar in the mirror for the camaros the swich had to go some where.

It went in the overhead console, next you have the seat belt lights and there in the overhead console to.

That left only one spot, and that needed to be held for you guys with sunroofs or convertibles, and that's why no Homelink, or if your wanting it bad like me you do this.
Attached Images

2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:04 AM   #62
Gizmo NYC

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
That the only thing it can be, as the overhead console only has 3 pockets, and as all the new mirrors don't have onstar in the mirror for the camaros the swich had to go some where.

It went in the overhead console, next you have the seat belt lights and there in the overhead console to.

That left only one spot, and that needed to be held for you guys with sunroofs or convertibles, and that's why no Homelink, or if your wanting it bad like me you do this.
Let me know when is ready
Gizmo NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:36 AM   #63
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Yeah it would be great if someone would make a small, battery operated homelink opener that would clip on to the visor, and optionally remove the clip so it could be stored in the center console or something like that.

But seriously if you have a '19 and really want homelink, go get one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/p/Gentex-85ADFM...4731031&chn=ps
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:58 AM   #64
ecko04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Yeah it would be great if someone would make a small, battery operated homelink opener that would clip on to the visor, and optionally remove the clip so it could be stored in the center console or something like that.

But seriously if you have a '19 and really want homelink, go get one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/p/Gentex-85ADFM...4731031&chn=ps

They would be sacrificing the screen for backup camera that is integrated into the rear view mirror if they got the mirror you linked. That’s not a good trade off.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:17 AM   #65
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
They would be sacrificing the screen for backup camera that is integrated into the rear view mirror if they got the mirror you linked. That’s not a good trade off.
Maybe not, but personally I couldn't swing the depth of focus change, since with my old school eyes my near sight sucks and I need reading glasses to see anything inside of 3 feet. I'd rather have the homelink. And rear view isn't an issue when the top is down

That mirror isn't the only option. You can go buy a headliner mount homelink from elsewhere, like this (plenty more to choose from with more buttons and different prices):
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-KtpPxK...kaAvS4EALw_wcB

..or just use that little battery powered visor clip-on opener that came with your garage door...
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:11 AM   #66
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post

That looks like something I want.
I have the remote and the app, but it's not the same as a Homelink in the overhead console.
Is the wiring harness still in the overhead console if the car does not have HL?
I purchased my car from a private owner that did not opt for this option and would like to add it.
Is the face plate you show a GM part...sure looks OEM.
This would be a pnp if the wiring harness is up there tucked away

I as well as others would like to know more about this DIY of yours...please inform/educate us on this!
Old 04-02-2019, 08:06 AM   #67
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldman View Post
Well why then does my 2015 Impala have frontal collision warning and still have Home Link?
Probably because it's an Impala and not a Camaro and they don't share the same platform or much else for that matter.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #68
ecko04

Home Link on 19's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Maybe not, but personally I couldn't swing the depth of focus change, since with my old school eyes my near sight sucks and I need reading glasses to see anything inside of 3 feet. I'd rather have the homelink. And rear view isn't an issue when the top is down

That mirror isn't the only option. You can go buy a headliner mount homelink from elsewhere, like this (plenty more to choose from with more buttons and different prices):
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-KtpPxK...kaAvS4EALw_wcB

..or just use that little battery powered visor clip-on opener that came with your garage door...

The whole purpose behind this thread was for 19 owners to find a way to integrate the homelink availability. I’m positive they know they could use a clip on visor but that’s not what they want. They desire the clean stock look without the clutter.

We get that it’s a convenience thing but if that’s what they want, without sacrificing their backup camera to do so, who are we to tell them any different?

And the button that you linked has a 3” depth, good luck finding 3” of available depth anywhere in the headliner that’s not behind the overhead console...oh wait, that’s also taken.

We’re glad you have a vert but once again, this isn’t about you.

Let the 19+ folks innovate and integrate. They don’t need us 16-18 folks telling them to remove options (i.e., their backup camera), buying Homelink buttons that won’t fit, or using a clicker that came with the garage door.

That’s unnecessarily trolling them.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:11 AM   #69
oftenimitated

Drives: 2004 Honda Civic+2011 Camaro 2SS
Just buy GarageMate. $50 and is controlled by app on your phone. Better than homelink IMO because if you don't take your car you will still have it available on your phone. Works on any garage door and install takes maybe 10 mins.
oftenimitated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:55 AM   #70
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oftenimitated View Post
Just buy GarageMate. $50 and is controlled by app on your phone. Better than homelink IMO because if you don't take your car you will still have it available on your phone. Works on any garage door and install takes maybe 10 mins.
I'd still rather just reach up and touch the Homelink button rather than fumbling with my phone to open an app to open the garage.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote