Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-10-2018, 05:32 PM   #85
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleSS View Post
Got 28000 miles on the stock RF's hated the tires in the rain and not being able to drive on a nice cold day due to being summer tires since day one. Purchased the COOPER ZEON RS3-G1's to replace them. They are quieter and seem smoother riding than the stock RF's. So far (500 miles) they are a great all season tire.
Interesting discussion.
I'm only in my first few hundred miles on the Goodyear RF summer tires and I find the handling excellent. If I was going to do nothing but summer performance driving, or if I was never going to be driving in the rain or cold they would be swell.
But that ain't the plan.
We're hoping to travel with the Camaro and weather changes could be an issue. Case in point, we unexpectedly encountered snow in August in Yellowstone and snow last month in West Virginia while in our Silverado. Weather's not an issue in a truck. I'm going to need something besides the summer tires for the Camaro.
I'm always been a Cooper tire fan as a replacement for OEM tires. Any additional opinions on them are most welcome.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #86
at7000ft

Drives: 2016 2SS
24 degrees and snowing in Denver this morning and very glad to have a set of DWS AS installed. One other thing I have noticed after driving the DWSs for a while is that steering effort is slightly decreased, which I like. If I want steering effort increased I can always set the steering to sport or track mode.
at7000ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #87
NobleSS

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS 50th Anniversary Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado57 View Post
Interesting discussion.
I'm only in my first few hundred miles on the Goodyear RF summer tires and I find the handling excellent. If I was going to do nothing but summer performance driving, or if I was never going to be driving in the rain or cold they would be swell.
But that ain't the plan.
We're hoping to travel with the Camaro and weather changes could be an issue. Case in point, we unexpectedly encountered snow in August in Yellowstone and snow last month in West Virginia while in our Silverado. Weather's not an issue in a truck. I'm going to need something besides the summer tires for the Camaro.
I'm always been a Cooper tire fan as a replacement for OEM tires. Any additional opinions on them are most welcome.

The Goodyear RF's are a great DRY handling tire. They are not a rain tire, they hydroplane very easy and leave you wanting to leave the car at home when it rains. The Coopers make it enjoyable to drive in the rain. Went out this morning to the store. The temp out was 28 degrees and dry not able to do that with the RF's!
Old 11-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #88
Silverado57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Snow or no snow, summer tires suck on cold rainy days, and by "cold" I mean below 50 degrees or so.

I wish all seasons were an option from the factory on SS cars. I put all season tires on and never going back. They even do OK at the drag strip.
Yesterday was the first time I drove under 50 degrees - it snuck down to 36 before I got home! - and the tires felt like rocks. I don't want to do that again.

Did I see the Coopers are made in China or is that incorrect?

I'm thinking I'd want to mount the all-season tires on new rims. Any recommendations?
Old 11-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #89
Zboy136

Drives: Red Hot 17 1LE
I installed the Nitto nt 555 g2 on mine a couple weeks back and so far I can say in wet weather, they do very well.
Zboy136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:11 PM   #90
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zboy136 View Post
I installed the Nitto nt 555 g2 on mine a couple weeks back and so far I can say in wet weather, they do very well.

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:30 AM   #91
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
I've been looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport 3+ All seasons.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #92
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
I took the kids to school this morning in my SS 1LE with the OEM tires. The outside temperature was 33 degrees. I keep the car garaged, and my garage tends to stay about 10 degrees above the outside temperature. When I cranked her up she initially showed the tire temp as 'normal'. Within about 2 minutes of pulling out that dropped to 'cool'. About ten minutes later they came back up to 'normal' even though the temp outside was still 33. Steering seemed to take a bit more effort, but other than that I couldn't tell a difference. Does the tire temp show 'Cold', 'Warm' and 'Hot', or is 'Cool' and 'Normal' all you get?
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #93
Silverado57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
... Does the tire temp show 'Cold', 'Warm' and 'Hot', or is 'Cool' and 'Normal' all you get?
I was wondering the same. I'm guessing "Hot" would be a very bad thing.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:20 AM   #94
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
a friend had generals and they were on the noisy side.
You can't just say one manufacturer makes noisy tires. The noise mostly comes from the tread block pattern, which will vary from model to model. And there are always compromises made by the manufacturer related to noise, grip, wear, etc. Best to look at the reviews for the particular tire you are considering rather than exclude a model based solely on the manufacturer.
I have the generals, like them, and actually posted some noise level measurements vs. the stock run flats.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:28 PM   #95
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
I put the General tires on my car. Had the Conti's on and older BMW and they started to hydroplane with around 25K miles and were never anything great in the snow anyways. Next car I put the Goodrich Comp 2/AS. They had great cold weather grip even in cold wet weather better then average in the snow also. HOWEVER on a front wheel drive car (Civic Si) they lost easily half of their life after like 8K miles. This put me in the Generals which seemed to be a tad all around better so we will see how they end up. Another thing with either the Conti's but especially the Comp 2/AS they were very noisy.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:14 AM   #96
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
DWS'6 is one of the best tires i owned, at least after 2 years on the Camaro i see nothing negative about them. Even after a 4000 mile road trip past spring they were nothing but great.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #97
HighIron

Drives: 2024 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt fe2o3 View Post
Just ordered a set of those. Went for them as they seemed to have the best balance of dry and wet roadholding, and snow use, and are made in the US. Will give my impressions as soon as they are mounted on my car.
HighIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #98
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt fe2o3 View Post
Get them! Good tires.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote