Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 01-22-2019, 09:15 PM   #15
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by oklahomaguy View Post
OP, get 2000 and 3000 grit sandpaper. Use a hole punch to punch a hole in painters tape. Take the 2000 grit sandpaper, a small piece that fits inside the hole. Apple soapy water to the effected area. Rotate the 2000 grit sandpaper in a clockwise/counter clockwise direction with your index finger until smooth. Apply alcohol to the effected area to clean. Replace another piece of punched painters tape over the effected area. Mix a small amount of paint with clear coat. (I mix with the stick part of a ear swap). Apply paint to effected area and let dry. Replace another punched piece of painters tape over the effected area. Apply soapy water Take your 2000 grit sandpaper and repeat the clockwise/counter clockwise motion until smooth. Finish sanding with 3000 grit. Then apply wax. I have done this for small areas such as rock chips, etc and you cannot tell where the effected area is located. The hole in the painters tape will keep you focused on the effected area and minimize the sanding area on your clearcoat.
No one could even ask for a better first post, thank you I have a similar small scuff on my hood, once the weather gets warmer, I'll try to attack it this way.

One quick question, though, don't you need to polish after the 3000 grit? That wax will not remain there for long.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #16
oklahomaguy

Drives: camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
No one could even ask for a better first post, thank you I have a similar small scuff on my hood, once the weather gets warmer, I'll try to attack it this way.

One quick question, though, don't you need to polish after the 3000 grit? That wax will not remain there for long.
Yes, I would also polish to finalize the job, but I think the wax would be fine without.
oklahomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:23 PM   #17
oklahomaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8minus4 View Post
Thanks oklahomaguy. I saw a YouTube video with a very similar technique. I just might give that a try. If done properly, I think it should look pretty good.
By the way OP, beautiful car; colors are superb.

Last edited by oklahomaguy; 01-22-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #18
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Quote:
By the way OP, beautiful car; colors are subperb.
Thank you sir. Excellent tutorial. I appreciate the help!
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:30 PM   #19
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8minus4 View Post
Thanks oklahomaguy. I saw a YouTube video with a very similar technique. I just might give that a try. If done properly, I think it should look pretty good.
Man, I hate to see a nice car get a chip.. Just remember take your time on the touch up.. I'm bad about wanting to rush buffing the fresh painted area

Good Luck
Old 01-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #20
SSShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Man, I hate to see a nice car get a chip.. Just remember take your time on the touch up.. I'm bad about wanting to rush buffing the fresh painted area

Good Luck
Thanks MemphisSS and thanks to everyone!
Old 01-22-2019, 09:42 PM   #21
oklahomaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post

Good Luck
Normally I would wait to put polish or wax on, for a large freshly painted area. But for small chips I go ahead and apply after the paint is dried and wet sanded, due to the small size.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:44 PM   #22
SSShark

Quote:
Normally I would wait to put polish or wax on, for a large freshly painted area. But for small chips I go ahead and apply after the paint is dried and wet sanded, due to the small size.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #23
RomanB

Drives: 2LT RS Yellow Convertible
I had a chip on the A pillar, maybe 3 mm. I used Dr ColorChip and applied several layers. The result looks pretty good. If you have no clue that there was a chip, you won't see anything. I guess if I would have sanded it a little bit, it would be much much better. Otherwise I was pretty happy with the result. Better than repainting and paying $500.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:03 PM   #24
SSShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanB View Post
I had a chip on the A pillar, maybe 3 mm. I used Dr ColorChip and applied several layers. The result looks pretty good. If you have no clue that there was a chip, you won't see anything. I guess if I would have sanded it a little bit, it would be much much better. Otherwise I was pretty happy with the result. Better than repainting and paying $500.
Definitely going to give it a go. Looking forward to seeing the end result.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:33 PM   #25
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
I got a chip from a rock kicked up by a truck a few months back. It was the first blemish on mine and it made me absolutely sick. The chip was on the nose above the headlight. It was like yours where the plastic bumper material distorted and caused a ridge. So first step was to flatten that out. I used the abrasive tip of the GM OEM Touch-Up Paint and it worked nicely. What I like is that the tip is small, so if you're careful, you can flatten the rough edge without touching any area outside the chip.

Once I had it smoothed out, I used a 000 artist brush with the touch-up to fill the chip, waited half a day or so, and then used the Langka Blob Eliminator to level off the touchup. It's the same idea as Dr. Colorchip, and both are good DIY solutions for chips IME. I'm super-fussy, like you , so I actually did the process daily for almost a week until I was satisfied with the results - the Langka solution is essentially paint thinner, so if you don't like it, you can remove all the paint and start over.

Once I was satisfied with the repair, I used the clear coat that comes in the Touch-Up bottle, sealed it, and that was it. The repair is decent, and only visible if you get close to the area and are looking for it.

To me, it makes a lot more sense to do the spot repair rather than repaint the whole bumper.

Good luck.
Attached Images

Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:58 PM   #26
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
OP, get 2000 and 3000 grit sandpaper. Use a hole punch to punch a hole in painters tape. Take the 2000 grit sandpaper, a small piece that fits inside the hole. Apple soapy water to the effected area. Rotate the 2000 grit sandpaper in a clockwise/counter clockwise direction with your index finger until smooth. Apply alcohol to the effected area to clean. Replace another piece of punched painters tape over the effected area. Mix a small amount of paint with clear coat. (I mix with the stick part of a ear swap). Apply paint to effected area and let dry. Replace another punched piece of painters tape over the effected area. Apply soapy water Take your 2000 grit sandpaper and repeat the clockwise/counter clockwise motion until smooth. Finish sanding with 3000 grit. Then apply wax. I have done this for small areas such as rock chips, etc and you cannot tell where the effected area is located. The hole in the painters tape will keep you focused on the effected area and minimize the sanding area on your clearcoat.
Have to agree with the others and praise you for this excellent tutorial. First time I've heard of using painters tape to avoid sanding the surrounding area. That's genius!

I'm guessing the abrasive tip on the OEM touch-up bottle I mentioned above might be 2000 grit, but not sure. Do you know?
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:55 AM   #27
SSShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
I got a chip from a rock kicked up by a truck a few months back. It was the first blemish on mine and it made me absolutely sick. The chip was on the nose above the headlight. It was like yours where the plastic bumper material distorted and caused a ridge. So first step was to flatten that out. I used the abrasive tip of the GM OEM Touch-Up Paint and it worked nicely. What I like is that the tip is small, so if you're careful, you can flatten the rough edge without touching any area outside the chip.

Once I had it smoothed out, I used a 000 artist brush with the touch-up to fill the chip, waited half a day or so, and then used the Langka Blob Eliminator to level off the touchup. It's the same idea as Dr. Colorchip, and both are good DIY solutions for chips IME. I'm super-fussy, like you , so I actually did the process daily for almost a week until I was satisfied with the results - the Langka solution is essentially paint thinner, so if you don't like it, you can remove all the paint and start over.

Once I was satisfied with the repair, I used the clear coat that comes in the Touch-Up bottle, sealed it, and that was it. The repair is decent, and only visible if you get close to the area and are looking for it.

To me, it makes a lot more sense to do the spot repair rather than repaint the whole bumper.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Have to agree with the others and praise you for this excellent tutorial. First time I've heard of using painters tape to avoid sanding the surrounding area. That's genius!

I'm guessing the abrasive tip on the OEM touch-up bottle I mentioned above might be 2000 grit, but not sure. Do you know?
Learning so much here. The last time I tried touching up some nicks on my previous car, I made a mess. Both techniques are pretty similar, meaning you guys know what you're doing.
Such a nice car wjones14, I know how you feel!
Old 01-24-2019, 07:00 PM   #28
Mike J

Drives: 2015 Topless Btch RS
Great touch up video

https://youtu.be/6xi3xmeO6C4
Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote