Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 01-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #15
JonD

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
It's ok to be wrong sweetie.
I’m absolutely ok being wrong... the issue is that #1 I’d like to see a bolt on graph with the stock manifold vs MSD only. No heads, cam or other added items

Also posts from guys like you are exactly why most forums are full of trash comments and not worth sifting through to dig up factual content so I’ve asked Pray to clarify and even shoot me a PM with those graphs so I don’t have to see your Barbie comments
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:01 AM   #16
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonD View Post
I’m absolutely ok being wrong... the issue is that #1 I’d like to see a bolt on graph with the stock manifold vs MSD only. No heads, cam or other added items

Also posts from guys like you are exactly why most forums are full of trash comments and not worth sifting through to dig up factual content so I’ve asked Pray to clarify and even shoot me a PM with those graphs so I don’t have to see your Barbie comments
All I have ever done here for the most part is post factual information...read my post history. You were wrong and it's ok...no need to try and spin it around on me and get mad because you are too lazy to search.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #17
JonD

Quote:
All I have ever done here for the most part is post factual information...read my post history. You were wrong and it's ok...no need to try and spin it around on me and get mad because you are too lazy to search.
Again, your comments is what brought you the response.
I wasn’t rude at all in posting yet received some kid like responses so you felt the need to be that guy and now you don’t like the response?

Your interpretation of Lazy is whatever benefits you so why don’t you just stop responding without benefiting the question I asked.

Do you have a good Bolt on Dyno graph with the only change being a stock intake manifold compared to the MSD?

Quote:
It's ok to be wrong sweetie.
AND just for the record... I was not wrong to say gains are to be had going from the stock manifold to the MSD.

Last edited by JonD; 01-23-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #18
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Real quick bud where did I mention ported stock to ported MSD? So your saying you will not notice upper gains going from the stock manifold to an MSD... unless you port the manifold OR at least add the 95mm TB/Ported as well? Bolt on car, not Heads...etc

Help me understand what you’re saying as No I do not search the forums for past threads like some people with endless time.

That’s cute, I fully expect flack on stuff so he can answer questions without bandwagon support as it’s clearly not needed with his history

My last comment was that you will see gains up top over stock. No doubt. But what will they gain you in the 1/4 over stock is the question I can't answer. Top end gains don't always translate our to E.T. especially on a stock converter since the MSD loses a bit down low. You will gain mph though.

I always have budget in mind since these cars are so costly to modify. I always try to present the options and what you will gain for the money laid out. I took from your post that budget may be a concern.

My illustration was meant to demonstrate the marginal gains for the price. And to show what the other mods required to make it viable. So I took the best case scenario with ported heads and converter to make the MSD shine. It just didn't happen. At this point I have not back to backed stock IM/TB to stock MSD at the track. But ported to ported should be the same comparison.

It is unanimously agreed upon that the MSD needs porting out of the box. And the stock TB needs to be ported to accommodate the higher airflow demands of the MSD. Or to do it right, a ported 95mm. I don't have the time either to post everything from the past to make a point. So I went with the simplest, quickest comparison I had on hand to answer what I thought was your question.

Buddy was a term of endearment, not an insult.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #19
JonD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
My last comment was that you will see gains up top over stock. No doubt. But what will they gain you in the 1/4 over stock is the question I can't answer. Top end gains don't always translate our to E.T. especially on a stock converter since the MSD loses a bit down low. You will gain mph though.

I always have budget in mind since these cars are so costly to modify. I always try to present the options and what you will gain for the money laid out. I took from your post that budget may be a concern.

My illustration was meant to demonstrate the marginal gains for the price. And to show what the other mods required to make it viable. So I took the best case scenario with ported heads and converter to make the MSD shine. It just didn't happen. At this point I have not back to backed stock IM/TB to stock MSD at the track. But ported to ported should be the same comparison.

It is unanimously agreed upon that the MSD needs porting out of the box. And the stock TB needs to be ported to accommodate the higher airflow demands of the MSD. Or to do it right, a ported 95mm. I don't have the time either to post everything from the past to make a point. So I went with the simplest, quickest comparison I had on hand to answer what I thought was your question.
Thank you for the response as that’s exactly why I was asking. So gains are to be had but won’t fully be obtained unless the port is done in combination.

I have a hand ported 95mm TB in my cart so would you recommend getting the MSD ported or would that cost not really benefit me as I’m not going to be opening up my motor anytime soon?
Old 01-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #20
PRAY

Quote:
Thank you for the response as that’s exactly why I was asking. So gains are to be had but won’t fully be obtained unless the port is done in combination.

I have your hand ported TB in my cart so would you recommend getting the MSD ported or would that cost not really benefit me as I’m not going to be opening up my motor anytime soon?

Yes, porting the manifold is worth 10-15rw on bolt on cars. I have indipendant testing as high as 23rw from just porting the MSD on a bolt on car. It also greatly reduced the tq loss down low. That number was proven out on the street to be legit. Two of my customers raced on the street multiple times with the ported MSD coming out 2+ cars every time. Once the porting was complete to both cars it was like one car length or less in multiple back up races.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #21
JonD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
Yes, porting the manifold is worth 10-15rw on bolt on cars. I have indipendant testing as high as 23rw from just porting the MSD on a bolt on car. It also greatly reduced the tq loss down low. That number was proven out on the street to be legit. Two of my customers raced on the street multiple times with the ported MSD coming out 2+ cars every time. Once the porting was complete to both cars it was like one car length or less in multiple back up races.
Thanks for taking the time to trailor your response to my application!
Old 01-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #22
PRAY

NP.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #23
KingLT1

Quote:
Again, your comments is what brought you the response.
I wasn’t rude at all in posting yet received some kid like responses so you felt the need to be that guy and now you don’t like the response?

Your interpretation of Lazy is whatever benefits you so why don’t you just stop responding without benefiting the question I asked.

Do you have a good Bolt on Dyno graph with the only change being a stock intake manifold compared to the MSD?

It was just a joke...quit taking the internet so serious.

Pray does on his Facebook page.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #24
18ss376

Drives: Camaro
I have a 95mm TB but just can't pull the trigger on the black lettering MSD IM.
Does this need a tune after install?
18ss376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:49 PM   #25
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Does not need a tune. If you have a auto the car is begging for a tune. Get hptuners
Old 01-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #26
18ss376

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
Does not need a tune. If you have a auto the car is begging for a tune. Get hptuners
I have a hard time paying that price with 8 credits & pay each time I need a different tune, really starts to add up. Right now I'm just trying to put bolt-ons that do not need a tune. I have some Kooks 1-7/8 headers with hi-flow cats that I've had for 6 months now, but to afraid to put them on because if I get some CEL's I'm going to go crazy...
18ss376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #27
PRAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18ss376 View Post
I have a hard time paying that price with 8 credits & pay each time I need a different tune, really starts to add up. Right now I'm just trying to put bolt-ons that do not need a tune. I have some Kooks 1-7/8 headers with hi-flow cats that I've had for 6 months now, but to afraid to put them on because if I get some CEL's I'm going to go crazy...
If you are getting charged for retunes you are getting robbed. That is the issue of not doing remote tuning.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:19 PM   #28
KingLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18ss376 View Post
You can tune the ECM without unlocking or tuning TCM. They are separate controllers.