Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #1
Camaro #5

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS (2LT, V6)
Trade the 6th gen RS for a 5th gen SS?

So I love my car, but have been dealing with the BS A8 transmission shudder issue recently. I don't have a lot of confidence that the new "fix" will work. I'm considering alternatives if it doesn't.

I really like the creature comforts of my 2LT and I want an automatic, so another sixth gen is basically out since I can't afford a 2019 2SS or any ZL1. For similar cars, I have been looking at the Challenger and Mustang as well. I'm put off the Challenger by the old platform and Chrysler quality. On the Mustang, the V6 in recent models is pretty weak, and I don't think you can get the Premium trim on it, which just leaves the Mustang Premium (Ecoboost) and the Mustang GT Premium. I don't really like the sound of the Ecoboost, so that's probably out. I don't think I'll be able to afford a GT Premium, unless I get an older one. That may be an option.

Another thought I've been kicking around is going to a 5th gen. With that, I could even afford to go to a decently low mileage 2SS. The power is great on the V6 in my car, but I figure if I'm going to a 5th gen, I might as well go 2SS. Though I have lots of experience with 4th gens and now a 6th gen, I've never drove or been in a 5th gen. I was hoping those of you that have driven both the 5th gen and 6th gen can compare them and give me an idea if I might be happy with a 5th gen. I gotta say, the 6th gen really spoils me. I would definitely miss push-button start with the 5th gen. I guess my biggest concern is ride quality and interior quality.
Camaro #5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:22 PM   #2
Camaro 79

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
So I owned a 5th Gen SS, and I really didn't like it. While I loved the way it looked, it didn't drive nearly as well as the 2016 Mustang GT I replaced it with.

After driving my 6th Gen, I really don't think there is a more enjoyable/fast car to drive for the money. This blew my last Mustang out of the water which was a very enjoyable car. I would never go back to a 5th Gen from here.

Past -
2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack
2015 Camaro SS
2010 Ford Mustang GT
Camaro 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
I had the same idea as you. In the end, I found a used 6th gen 2SS in my price range. It took 4 month of searching. I set alerts with all the used car apps. When I got the alert that there was a car in my price range, I called the dealer immediately and was at the dealership within 2 hrs. I had missed out on a couple of others by waiting.

Be patient, save more money for a down payment, find a better interest rate and keep searching. Be tough with your trade. Be willing to leave and wait for a better deal. The 6th gen is worth it.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
if you really like the creature comforts of your 6th gen you won't like the 5th gen. I never owned a 5th gen, but I did have a 4th gen Z28 for 8 years and never upgraded to the 5th because it honestly felt no better on the inside that my car - it looked different, but same quality. The 6th gen finally felt like a leap forward.
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
Camaro #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro 79 View Post
So I owned a 5th Gen SS, and I really didn't like it. While I loved the way it looked, it didn't drive nearly as well as the 2016 Mustang GT I replaced it with.

After driving my 6th Gen, I really don't think there is a more enjoyable/fast car to drive for the money. This blew my last Mustang out of the water which was a very enjoyable car. I would never go back to a 5th Gen from here.
Why did it blow the Mustang out of the water, out of curiosity?
Old 01-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
Camaro #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
I had the same idea as you. In the end, I found a used 6th gen 2SS in my price range. It took 4 month of searching. I set alerts with all the used car apps. When I got the alert that there was a car in my price range, I called the dealer immediately and was at the dealership within 2 hrs. I had missed out on a couple of others by waiting.

Be patient, save more money for a down payment, find a better interest rate and keep searching. Be tough with your trade. Be willing to leave and wait for a better deal. The 6th gen is worth it.
Well, the only thing is, to have an automatic and not have the transmission shudder (and still have the features I want) I would have to get a 2019 2SS, and I don't see that happening with a $30k budget.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
Camaro #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroChriSS View Post
if you really like the creature comforts of your 6th gen you won't like the 5th gen. I never owned a 5th gen, but I did have a 4th gen Z28 for 8 years and never upgraded to the 5th because it honestly felt no better on the inside that my car - it looked different, but same quality. The 6th gen finally felt like a leap forward.
Really? I figured it would still be a world of improvement over the 4th gen. I loved my 4th gens at the time, but no way would I go back to that, especially for a daily driver like mine is.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
Camaro #5

I really appreciate the brutal honesty, guys. It sucks, but I need to hear it. Keep it coming!
Old 01-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #9
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I came from a 2016 Mustang V6 to my now 2018 1LT V6. Minus the trans issues on the A8 I like my Camaro better. Since you like the creature comforts, you might wanna consider the new Ecoboost Mustang with the A10. It's basically just as quick as your Camaro, and you can get all the modern bells and whistles for less than the 2LT V6
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:53 PM   #10
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro #5 View Post
Well, the only thing is, to have an automatic and not have the transmission shudder (and still have the features I want) I would have to get a 2019 2SS, and I don't see that happening with a $30k budget.
I got a 2016 2SS manual for $27,000.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #11
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
So I love my car, but have been dealing with the BS A8 transmission shudder issue recently. I don't have a lot of confidence that the new "fix" will work. I'm considering alternatives if it doesn't.

I really like the creature comforts of my 2LT and I want an automatic, so another sixth gen is basically out since I can't afford a 2019 2SS or any ZL1. For similar cars, I have been looking at the Challenger and Mustang as well. I'm put off the Challenger by the old platform and Chrysler quality. On the Mustang, the V6 in recent models is pretty weak, and I don't think you can get the Premium trim on it, which just leaves the Mustang Premium (Ecoboost) and the Mustang GT Premium. I don't really like the sound of the Ecoboost, so that's probably out. I don't think I'll be able to afford a GT Premium, unless I get an older one. That may be an option.

Another thought I've been kicking around is going to a 5th gen. With that, I could even afford to go to a decently low mileage 2SS. The power is great on the V6 in my car, but I figure if I'm going to a 5th gen, I might as well go 2SS. Though I have lots of experience with 4th gens and now a 6th gen, I've never drove or been in a 5th gen. I was hoping those of you that have driven both the 5th gen and 6th gen can compare them and give me an idea if I might be happy with a 5th gen. I gotta say, the 6th gen really spoils me. I would definitely miss push-button start with the 5th gen. I guess my biggest concern is ride quality and interior quality.
No warranty for the shuddering or are you just bored with what you've got?

I think you will eventually regret going from a 6gen to a 5gen, even if ss.
It's subjective and all but I found the 2SS overrated in the 6gen. The Bose stereo isn't much of an upgrade, the leather seats are meh compared to the cloth, HUD was pretty cool but the other stuff (multi color int, wireless charger..)is "gimmicky" imo... Premium in the GT IS worth it however. I don't know your budget but I'd go with a per-owned 6gen 1SS if I was in your situation. You will also get the rev matching in the 6gen m6 which is awesome.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow

Last edited by L99BEN; 01-09-2019 at 03:50 PM.
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #12
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
I don't think I could ever go back to the 5th gen even if it was a ZL1 or Z/28 I would miss the creature comforts too much.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #13
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
Quote:
Really? I figured it would still be a world of improvement over the 4th gen. I loved my 4th gens at the time, but no way would I go back to that, especially for a daily driver like mine is.
Yeah, I mean the layout was arguably worse (but that's subjective). It had "cool"gauges, but a sea of just plain plastic - the passenger side was mind-numbing to look at. At the least the 4th gens had some swoops and lines to it. Everything was hard plastic, and maybe I got lucky with my 4th gen, even after aging 15+ years everything felt at least as good. 5th gen has the center screen, but in 5 years will look outdated anyway.

It's just my opinion, and I never owned one (drove about a dozen, though), but the interior was literally the only thing that kept me from upgrading.
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #14
7speed

Drives: 21 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99BEN View Post
No warranty for the shuddering or are you just bored with what you've got?

This right here, you have 5yr/100k warranty on mechanical so why rush the decision.