Thread Closed

Old 11-25-2018, 08:39 PM   #1
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Arrow GM Closing Oshawa, Other Plants

Very sad news...

Quote:

General Motors are set to end their operations in Oshawa, affecting almost 3,000 union and salary positions.

According to General Motors, the plant has been in operation in Oshawa since 1953 and has built models for Pontiac, Chevrolet and Buick. Currently, the plant builds the Cadillac XTS, the Chevrolet Impala, the Chevrolet Silverado and the GMC Sierra.

The company is scheduled to make the announcement Monday morning.

Oshawa NDP MPP Jennifer French spoke to the reports of the closure and says this is a heavy blow for the city and says the decision must be fought.

“I have seen the same reports as many in my riding, which claim GM may be closing their operations in Oshawa, and I find these reports gravely concerning,” said French. “If GM Canada is indeed turning its back on 100 years of industry and community — abandoning workers and families in Oshawa — then this is a callous decision that must be fought.”

“Words cannot fully describe the anxiety that my community is feeling at this moment.”

Bill Macklem has worked at the plant for 31 years and says he learned about the end of operations after his mother-in-law called him and told him to turn on the news.

“Its absolutely horrible, we’re all here to make a living and feed our families,” said Macklem. “Its bad news.”
https://globalnews.ca/news/4697468/g...wa-operations/
Old 11-25-2018, 08:54 PM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I hope they find a way to avoid this somehow....What a shame. Sounds pretty drastic. Perhaps some production can continue in the meantime and avoid closing altogether.

Good luck to the Canadian employees....Most of my new vehicles were built in Canada,,,,'88 GMC dually, '11 Camaro, and '17 Impala....

This can't be good for GM, either...Wonder what the big picture looks like...
Old 11-25-2018, 10:45 PM   #3
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
GM to close Oshawa plant, leaving 2,800 people out of work

Just another example of "The Incredible Shrinking GM" ? Will Lordstown be next? ...

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...a-plant-report

Oshawa assembled the fifth gen. Camaro.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:31 AM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The writing has been on the wall for years. GM announces that its killing off nearly every model built there and there is nothing said about anything else going into the plant. Gee ... I wonder what'll happen to the plant?

The big picture is that Canada is likely to follow Australia in ceasing automobile production. We'll be fine for at least a decade. Maybe even two. But at this rate, I doubt we'll be making cars here in the 2040s. For every new product announcement, it seems like there are two for product lines getting cancelled. Sometimes that closes a plant, sometimes it 'only' means hundreds of layoffs. Of course, those now under-utilized plants cost a lot more to operate so they then shoot up the list for the next round of plant closures. And with fewer product lines, it makes less sense for a supplier to base themselves nearby. So they pull out too. That, in turn, has a tendency to drive up costs in the remaining assembly plants -since parts need to come from farther. Its a downward spiral that requires a massive change to break. I thought that our slightly weak dollar would be enough to at least staunch the bleeding, but that clearly isn't even enough.

I'd say more, but we are a no politics site.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-26-2018, 12:59 AM   #5
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
Didn't they just started to build the new Silverado there? What a shame for all the hard workers
Old 11-26-2018, 02:24 AM   #6
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
bad news.they did a great job on my 5th gen camaro.before long toyota,hyundai,and honda will be the new "big 3"...
Old 11-26-2018, 03:21 AM   #7
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Sad..hate people losing employment. Went through this in lordstown.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:22 AM   #8
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
No announcement from GM yet.
Just second hand info for now.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:14 AM   #9
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
My understanding from the media films is this is GM planning and part of this is competing the UAW in Canada for jobs against the UAW in the USA.

The tooling and planning take a long time. Once a cost structure is reached the plan is executed. I know UAW in Canada is bitter and UAW in the USA is happy -but really this is job shifting, not job elimination.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:08 AM   #10
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
"GM is expected to announce it will cut the Chevrolet Volt, Impala and Cruze, the Cadillac CT6 and XTS, and the Buick LaCrosse, according to a source familiar with GM's plans."
Old 11-26-2018, 09:13 AM   #11
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Not surprising...sedans are just not selling well, CUVs/SUVs are where the big sales are and have been for a while.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
Old 11-26-2018, 09:18 AM   #12
prod

Drives: HHR
And with recent trends in engine offerings, how much longer will St. Catherines powertrain facility last?
So sad....
Old 11-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #13
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Hope they keep the Camaro, Ford is keeping the Mustang. They are going to keep pushing electric but, with no infrastructure in place. Where is all this electricity going to come from? The grid is in poor shape, I worked in nuclear power for 30 years with a utility. Believe me, we have a developing problem.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #14
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
"GM is expected to announce it will cut the Chevrolet Volt, Impala and Cruze, the Cadillac CT6 and XTS, and the Buick LaCrosse, according to a source familiar with GM's plans."
Yeah, the pendulum is swinging away from cars. Remember when everyone had an SUV? Or for that matter a station wagon? Who knows what's next?
Closed Thread