Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-14-2023, 12:58 PM   #1
gankah

Drives: ‘21 ZL1, ‘17 F-150, 
Pop/Burble

Hey guys, I have a 6th gen ZL1 A10 post 2019 refresh.

I bought the car as a 2nd owner with 6,xxx on the odometer. It had no modifications except the 4 ZL1 Addons jack plates. I drove the car for a few weeks with no modifications. It never popped once, which I have heard extensive burbles from all of the SS’s and ZL1’s I’ve been around. And mine never would do it. I know you can add/remove w/ tuning, but I found it weird mine didn’t do it. So I added an MBRP race cat back (also did an intake.) Super loud, but no pops. Then, I took out the secondary catalytic converters. Now, it will pop, but only on upshift? Like if I’m in first, click the upshift paddle and give it gas (as it’s shifting, so I don’t really go anywhere) it will pop super loud. But never just letting out of the throttle, like it’s supposed to.

Why?
gankah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 01:40 PM   #2
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
It's the tune from GM but it doesn't make the car go any faster. It's only a sound. I wouldn't be concerned that your car isn't doing it.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 02:53 PM   #3
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gankah View Post

I bought the car as a 2nd owner with 6,xxx on the odometer. It had no modifications except the 4 ZL1 Addons jack plates. I drove the car for a few weeks with no modifications. It never popped once, which I have heard extensive burbles from all of the SS’s and ZL1’s I’ve been around. And mine never would do it. I know you can add/remove w/ tuning, but I found it weird mine didn’t do it. So I added an MBRP race cat back (also did an intake.) Super loud, but no pops. Then, I took out the secondary catalytic converters. Now, it will pop, but only on upshift? Like if I’m in first, click the upshift paddle and give it gas (as it’s shifting, so I don’t really go anywhere) it will pop super loud. But never just letting out of the throttle, like it’s supposed to.

Why?
So is it more like a misfire when you’re letting off the Excelerator and it up shifts, or during acceleration, and it up shifts? As soon as I added my Borla, I had cracking and popping more noticeable, but that was on deceleration letting off the gas pedal.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 03:12 PM   #4
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
It needs to be tuned in to pop like the newer ones. I can usually make them pop and crackle. It's harder to do on the 2018 and lower models though. I think GM has some hidden tables in there. I worked with someone to expose the DFCO delay table but I haven't had much time testing on the ZL1's yet. On the Z06's I know it affects the burbles.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 05:03 PM   #5
gankah

Drives: ‘21 ZL1, ‘17 F-150, 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
It needs to be tuned in to pop like the newer ones. I can usually make them pop and crackle. It's harder to do on the 2018 and lower models though. I think GM has some hidden tables in there. I worked with someone to expose the DFCO delay table but I haven't had much time testing on the ZL1's yet. On the Z06's I know it affects the burbles.
As stated, mine is post 2019 refresh. It is a 2021 model year. I just don’t understand why mine doesn’t do it. I like the sound.
gankah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 05:10 PM   #6
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
The dd tables can lower or remove the the pops and crackles if they are higher than they should be(negative values in that zone)

I just went through this as I spent the last three weeks revamping my vtt tables
Old 10-14-2023, 08:34 PM   #7
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
OP- are you sure you are comparing A10 to another A10? There is a significant difference in “pop and burble “ between A10s and M6.
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 08:54 PM   #8
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:

Why?
Try this, when in manual shift mode and while in 2nd gear really lay on the gas and accelerate hard, get the RPMs up to about 4000 or so and then let completely off the gas and let the car coast, doing that makes my 2020 SS pop and gurgle like made...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 01:06 AM   #9
ohsmily

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE A10 ShadowGrayMetallic
Pop? Burble? What is the allure of these sounds? Do these sounds mimic something else that people aspire for their cars to be? Does it signify a feature or attribute of the car? I'm interested in how it performs, not whether the exhaust makes popping sounds. So, perhaps someone can explain to me the allure of "pops" and "burbles" and the significance.
ohsmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 05:33 AM   #10
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Quote:
As stated, mine is post 2019 refresh. It is a 2021 model year. I just don’t understand why mine doesn’t do it. I like the sound.
If you know anyone with HPTuners, you can pull the tune(without paying for credits) and then compare it to a known stock file. There is always the chance the previous owner tuned it out.
Old 10-15-2023, 05:35 AM   #11
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
Pop? Burble? What is the allure of these sounds? Do these sounds mimic something else that people aspire for their cars to be? Does it signify a feature or attribute of the car? I'm interested in how it performs, not whether the exhaust makes popping sounds. So, perhaps someone can explain to me the allure of "pops" and "burbles" and the significance.
If you're into any sort of motorsports you may have noticed many of the race cars pop an gurgle due to overrun and lack of DFCO. Many of us think it sounds awesome.

Now I will say there is a difference between pop, gurgle and maybe crackles while entering DFCO vs the ridiculous non stop firecrackers that some due to get attention. I don't care for the latter at all. But that is what is great about America. The freedom to like or don't like what you want to.
Old 10-15-2023, 06:33 AM   #12
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
If you're into any sort of motorsports you may have noticed many of the race cars pop an gurgle due to overrun and lack of DFCO. Many of us think it sounds awesome.

Now I will say there is a difference between pop, gurgle and maybe crackles while entering DFCO vs the ridiculous non stop firecrackers that some due to get attention. I don't care for the latter at all. But that is what is great about America. The freedom to like or don't like what you want to.
As side bar response to the fire crackers… I agree, not a fan.

I just installed a Corsa axle back… the firecrackers are reduced by at least 90% and now a deeper tone, while retaining a nice gurgle.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 07:29 AM   #13
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

100% this. Mine pops a little bit (two or three pops) on decel, just as it should, no 10-second fireworks soundtrack here, thanks to Ted Jannetty's tune.

And yeah, everyone is free to enjoy what they have to the fullest 🇺🇸. I have no objections to "cracklers" either except when they're junkyard Civics with 10" stovepipe exhaust tips .

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 06:14 PM   #14
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Try this, when in manual shift mode and while in 2nd gear really lay on the gas and accelerate hard, get the RPMs up to about 4000 or so and then let completely off the gas and let the car coast, doing that makes my 2020 SS pop and gurgle like made...
That's how I get mine to do it. Funny never had my SS do it though. Maybe I just never tried hard enough.