Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-26-2018, 06:34 AM   #1
carlg

Drives: Ford Mustang
Possibly buying what to look for? Convertible

I finally may wind up breaking down and get a Gen 6 Camaro. I liked the Gen 5's, but could not stand the interior. The generation 6 interior is 10 times better!! Used prices for SS models are now under 30K. So maybe it's time?

So, what to look for on these cars? Any known problems that I should be watching for before I take a step?

Also, some of the models I see out there are convertible. I never had a convertible before. Any reason to not want one? They hold up well? etc?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks
carlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
There's a section in here for problems or warranty take it with a grain of salt. I personally love my Camaro and yes the vert is awesome quiet, love the sun love the hard tonneau. I bought the 6 sp. Coming from motorcycles, I love shifting my own gears so much fun no regrets. This thing gets 28 mpg highway and I'm averaging 21 ish driving this car not babying it lol 455 hp pure joy no regrets highly recommend the vert also sorry for the long reply
Attached Images

Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:10 AM   #3
carlg

Nice car!
Think I may look for an auto.
Currently have a stick and I'm getting sick of sitting at all the red lights with my foot on the clutch (or throwing it in neutral). Not fun for drive thrus either.
I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:11 AM   #4
carlg

BTW, any extra special care or anything like that you need to do because of the cloth top??
How do you wash your top?
Old 01-26-2018, 07:30 AM   #5
AmericanMike

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
Living where I do my car has only seen water once. I user various cleaners, dusters, and detailers to keep things clean and shiny. All the products I use I learned on this forum. I keep my car garaged so it doesn't see a lot of weather. I have a soft brush I use on the top to keep the pollen and other small things off it.
AmericanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #6
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Purchased my 17 SS Convertible back in April of last year, I always wanted a convertible and I am so glad I did.

Right now I have just a little over 2k miles, zero issues.

If you opt for a convertible or coupe go with either a 2LT or 2SS to get all of the creature comforts.

I love the color HUD, the ambient lighting, the seats are so much more comfortable then my 4th and or 5th gen.

IMHO the coolest feature for the convertible Camaro is the tonneau cover it completes the car.

Must have items no matter what NPP exhaust, IMHO Nav is not needed from the factory since the car has Apple Car play and the Android service.

I actually have used the heated steering wheel it’s a nice feature to have and the cooled seats are nice as well.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2018, 08:19 AM   #7
Jim50thSS

Drives: 50th SS Convertible
I would recommend a convertible. Never thought I would spend the extra money to have one. Local dealer convinced me that it was well worth it and I've been loving it ever since. I store my car in winter, garage it, and only drive it in good weather, so I am not so worried about the top. Definitely get the NPP exhaust. I went auto as well, even though I love banging through gears on my own. To me the car is to expensive for my reckless shifting. Seems like you have to defend your decision to go Auto in certain gear head groups.
Jim50thSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:22 AM   #8
carlg

Leaning towards 1SS right now.

2SS still a little more than I want to spend.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:53 AM   #9
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlg View Post
Leaning towards 1SS right now.

2SS still a little more than I want to spend.

Shop around even out of state you can pick up one well under MSRP. I picked up mine in Michigan and drove it home to Florida.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:56 AM   #10
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
The only issue I would caution you on is the reduced trunk space. Other then that there are no down sides. I treated my top with 303 Convertible Top protectorate. I also use a lint roller to remove dust/lint. The top is high quality and I like the sound of the NPP with the top down and the open air motoring. The cabin is quiet with the top up.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:01 AM   #11
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
The auto’s have a marred reputation for torque converter failures, as well as poorly timed shifts, particulary 1-2 and 3-1. I can attest to the shift issue in my car, its not that bad, just takes you by surprise sometimes. As well, the NPP Exhaust is nice, if it doesn’t rattle. If it does, pulling the fuse that actuates the valves will keep the tone the same nice sound ( except when V4 mode kicks in for the auto). Wind noise, rattling and creaking with the top up is another issue some have. There are fixes (some better than others) for all of the aforementioned. Make sure you have a good chunk of warranty time left and you’ll be good to go. I have the 1SS, I like the cloth seats because I don’t have to worry about burning my butt with the top down and the car sitting in the sun. On the other hand, the leather clearly looks better. I can tell you for certain that the 1SS’s speakers and amp suck. If you want to actually hear music with the top down while cruising at 80mph, think about putting some $$ aside for upgrades or buy a 2ss. I do love mine, even with some of the minor issues I’ve encountered.

Last edited by Chutzpah; 01-26-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #12
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
Thanks, for the top when I got the car i wiped down the top with Windex than treated with 303 tonneau cleaner protectant water now beads up when wet.for maintenance I blow off with an air hose accross the top any debris than after drying the car I use the damp towel to wipe down the top super easy and fast. For lights and traffic pop it in neautral it's easy just bump the shifter and it pops right in every time. Either way you'll enjoy it
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:25 PM   #13
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Loving the convertible. Just rolled over 20,000 miles this week. No problems so far. I used the RaggTopp product at first but most people here think the 303 stuff is better so I now use that.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:20 PM   #14
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
My vert is a summer car so it doesn't see much action, just 2000 yearly miles. I also used RaggTopp mostly for UV becuase the car doesn't see rain. You will absolutely need that good lint roller mentioned above. You can thank me later. Even though I have the Bose system I ended up upgrading all speakers, introducing a signal processor and amp becuase I wasn't happy with the sound.

This is my first convertible and I from here on I just can't imagine not having one.
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote