Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #141
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
It was still a Z/28 till 72 as you posted.

first the GT 500 is getting the new DCT its on a nob for the shiftier and yes the DCT will help out the ZLE, any thing that helps you shift faster helps, the tDCT was built for the pony car for some time now.

think your right i hope not.

Lets hope not.

+1
I thought we established the / was dropped from the Z/28 after 1969 but the 70 and 71 cars were still true to the original essence of the RPO but the emblem had changed to Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Every single Z28 or Z/28 carried the same RPO - Z28 on it's build sheet/sticker.
I agree but there are people here that believe GM knowingly knew the Z28 was no longer focused as a handling package in 72 so they changed the badge to Z28 in instead of Z/28 thats why the 5th gen car being so focused was a welcome return of the /. I have argued people just seem to leave out the fact that in 70 and 71 it was already Z28 lol
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:32 PM   #142
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I agree but there are people here that believe GM knowingly knew the Z28 was no longer focused as a handling package in 72 so they changed the badge to Z28 in instead of Z/28 thats why the 5th gen car being so focused was a welcome return of the /. I have argued people just seem to leave out the fact that in 70 and 71 it was already Z28 lol
While we are the same page, the funny about the people you mention is that they don't realize that the 3rd and 4th gen Z28s were also handling focused, only to get to the next level through the 1LE package.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #143
V8 Firebird

Drives: ⚡Electric TM3 ⚡
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
Gen seven refresh is on indefinite hold,no new product indentified at Grand River after 2022( the end of gen six production) Chances are Slim and none on a seven, let alone a Z/28. Slim could be boarding the bus..enjoy your cars fellers.
The CT6 has been confirmed to stay in American market, but it would produce in other plant. I guess that new plant would be the key about 7 gen Camaro.

There is too many tricky questions about letting Camaro die again. Not just the CT6 saving, upcoming CT4 and CT5 aren't canceled by GM.

Meanwhile, FCA is going to make electric Challenger in future. However, pure V8 era will be end.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:38 PM   #144
tbrennyZL1

Drives: Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
Agree. I'd never buy an AWD Camaro. If I need AWD, I have my truck and SUV.
One of the big 3 is going use their big hp engine and use AWD and have blistering acceleration and 1/4 mile times. Why not be the first instead of the copy cat.
tbrennyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:33 PM   #145
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
The Camaro is not dying
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #146
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I thought we established the / was dropped from the Z/28 after 1969 but the 70 and 71 cars were still true to the original essence of the RPO but the emblem had changed to Z28

My break off point with the Z28 has always been 1973 because it was the first year that you could get AC in a Z and HP started to go the wrong way . No matter what year Z they are all focused on handling , even if many was just a sticker package . With the 5th Gen Z/28 i always thought the / was added because that's the way it was on the 1969, and the 5th gen Camaro was modeled after 69 so it makes sense. The / itself has no meaning outside of a change in the emblem .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:32 PM   #147
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Those with AWD comments need to stop. Camaro has never been, and never should be AWD.

Before the long justification of AWD posts (I've owned AWD vehicles, and still do), I am NOT saying GM shouldn't make an AWD performance car...but IF they do, it should not be a Camaro - call it something else.
More then likely the new Mid engine Corvette will have an AWD version with tons of power to take on other AWD cars like the Audi R8, Acura NSX ,Lamborghini Huracan and Nissan GT-R among others , all being great track cars . The Z28 AWD would fit nicely in that mix since its DNA is all about getting around a track.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:47 AM   #148
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
More then likely the new Mid engine Corvette will have an AWD version with tons of power to take on other AWD cars like the Audi R8, Acura NSX ,Lamborghini Huracan and Nissan GT-R among others , all being great track cars . The Z28 AWD would fit nicely in that mix since its DNA is all about getting around a track.
Link to any rumour of AWD C8 besides individual speculation?

No Corvette or Camaro has ever been AWD, nor should they. Plenty of other names/brands they can market those types of cars under.

Same goes for Mustangs and Challengers, etc.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 01-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #149
Doin It For Dale

Drives: Bald Eagle,
Quote:

No Corvette or Camaro has ever been AWD, nor should they. Plenty of other names/brands they can market those types of cars under.

I've seen or heard nothing of it. The CAD drawings show no support for and AWD drivetrain, besides the fact that the frunk is pushed forward a bit more than you'd think. However, that's likely for the steering rack and front suspension to have wiggle room.

They already have an AWD V6 Challenger and you better believe that the next Mustang will have an AWD EB model.

AWD is not necessary in any Camaro. AWD is not ideal for a track car(talking about how enjoyable it is, not how quick it is. Y'all aren't racing for a world cup) and it requires the car to sit higher. AWD also makes the packaging in the car very tight, which means that you can't have an LT5 sitting on top of a front differential. Less weight will be the name of the 7th gen's game. Lighter=quicker, more agile, more efficient, and more fun.
Doin It For Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:08 AM   #150
Gen6_1Le

Quote:

There already is a AWD Challenger , V6 only tho.
At one time no Corvette was an V8 or fuel injection , disc brakes or anything else that makes the car what it is today,same goes for the Camaro. A AWD Corvette and Camaro is needed in the line up , not to putt putt your way to work on a snowy day but to dominate on track .
Old 01-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #151
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doin It For Dale View Post
I've seen or heard nothing of it. The CAD drawings show no support for and AWD drivetrain, besides the fact that the frunk is pushed forward a bit more than you'd think. However, that's likely for the steering rack and front suspension to have wiggle room.

They already have an AWD V6 Challenger and you better believe that the next Mustang will have an AWD EB model.

AWD is not necessary in any Camaro. AWD is not ideal for a track car(talking about how enjoyable it is, not how quick it is. Y'all aren't racing for a world cup) and it requires the car to sit higher. AWD also makes the packaging in the car very tight, which means that you can't have an LT5 sitting on top of a front differential. Less weight will be the name of the 7th gen's game. Lighter=quicker, more agile, more efficient, and more fun.
Quote:
There already is a AWD Challenger , V6 only tho.
At one time no Corvette was an V8 or fuel injection , disc brakes or anything else that makes the car what it is today,same goes for the Camaro. A AWD Corvette and Camaro is needed in the line up , not to putt putt your way to work on a snowy day but to dominate on track .
Forgot about the V6 AWD Challenger

Comparing disc brakes and fuel injection to an entire platform layout is laughable at best.

Have you driven an AWD sports car - or do you own one? If not, why not? There are already plenty of options for you besides desecrating the Camaro name with AWD.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 01-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #152
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Forgot about the V6 AWD Challenger

Comparing disc brakes and fuel injection to an entire platform layout is laughable at best.

Have you driven an AWD sports car - or do you own one? If not, why not? There are already plenty of options for you besides desecrating the Camaro name with AWD.
So first of all adding an AWD option to the Camaro lineup wouldn't "desecrate" it by any means. Secondly if you truly believe that my next point will probably fall on deaf ears: YES comparing the introduction of disc brakes and fuel injection is completely reasonable in this context. It's just new technology and application, AWD has proven to be a viable option for many sports cars/super cars so why couldn't it work on the Camaro or Corvette platform.

Now with that said I agree like others that the Camaro doesn't need AWD and the team knows that and therefor we most likely won't see an AWD Camaro until we reach the point in time when there is a 100% electric Camaro at which point of course it will be AWD with a motor at each wheel. The "rumored" AWD C8 Vette (IF IT IS REAL) won't be a traditional AWD car like the GTR or R8, it will be a hybrid setup much like the 918, TTV8 powering the rear wheels and electric motors powering the front. This will work well for a mid-engine platform, hence it's already been proven on the 918. I don't see such a setup working on the front-engine Camaro. So IMO, AWD is coming eventually... but not for a while so clam down everyone that's terrified of a little change.

As others have said I too think the Gen 7 will best benefit from being as light and nimble as possible, it will sit on the revised Alpha II platform so hopefully they will shed a few more pounds there and I'm really hoping they go for a mostly aluminum body that would be the most cost efficient way to save more weight across the lineup. And be prepared for more CF and composites and/or weight saving options on the higher trims (like the GT350R and 5th gen Z/28 did).

Thanks to the parts bin we will see stuff from the C8, I really don't understand why people are doubting this, just because an engine is developed mainly for the mid-engine Vette doesn't mean it can't work in the Camaro. The 7th Gen is almost certainly well into development, right along side the C8, and I believe we will see it release as a 2022MY right after the C8 for 2021MY. Just my 2 cents, rant over haha
Old 01-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #153
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
My break off point with the Z28 has always been 1973 because it was the first year that you could get AC in a Z and HP started to go the wrong way . No matter what year Z they are all focused on handling , even if many was just a sticker package . With the 5th Gen Z/28 i always thought the / was added because that's the way it was on the 1969, and the 5th gen Camaro was modeled after 69 so it makes sense. The / itself has no meaning outside of a change in the emblem .
I agree with you, but there was a whole thread here about the difference between / and non / Z cars lol.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #154
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
So first of all adding an AWD option to the Camaro lineup wouldn't "desecrate" it by any means. Secondly if you truly believe that my next point will probably fall on deaf ears: YES comparing the introduction of disc brakes and fuel injection is completely reasonable in this context. It's just new technology and application, AWD has proven to be a viable option for many sports cars/super cars so why couldn't it work on the Camaro or Corvette platform.

Now with that said I agree like others that the Camaro doesn't need AWD and the team knows that and therefor we most likely won't see an AWD Camaro until we reach the point in time when there is a 100% electric Camaro at which point of course it will be AWD with a motor at each wheel. The "rumored" AWD C8 Vette (IF IT IS REAL) won't be a traditional AWD car like the GTR or R8, it will be a hybrid setup much like the 918, TTV8 powering the rear wheels and electric motors powering the front. This will work well for a mid-engine platform, hence it's already been proven on the 918. I don't see such a setup working on the front-engine Camaro. So IMO, AWD is coming eventually... but not for a while so clam down everyone that's terrified of a little change.

As others have said I too think the Gen 7 will best benefit from being as light and nimble as possible, it will sit on the revised Alpha II platform so hopefully they will shed a few more pounds there and I'm really hoping they go for a mostly aluminum body that would be the most cost efficient way to save more weight across the lineup. And be prepared for more CF and composites and/or weight saving options on the higher trims (like the GT350R and 5th gen Z/28 did).

Thanks to the parts bin we will see stuff from the C8, I really don't understand why people are doubting this, just because an engine is developed mainly for the mid-engine Vette doesn't mean it can't work in the Camaro. The 7th Gen is almost certainly well into development, right along side the C8, and I believe we will see it release as a 2022MY right after the C8 for 2021MY. Just my 2 cents, rant over haha
I will agree to disagree - no point on further discussion since we are at opposite ends of opinion on this matter.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2