Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
Unbukwarrior

Drives: 1LT 2.0T A8
Automatic headlights won't work!

Hey I was wondering if anyone can tell me why my headlights, side markers and reverse lights will not go on when I start my car during the day. They do work at night or if I put them in the manual headlight position.
Unbukwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Cause it’s during the day and you’re not in reverse? Unless you’re talking about the LED accent lighting/DRL’s.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbukwarrior View Post
Hey I was wondering if anyone can tell me why my headlights, side markers and reverse lights will not go on when I start my car during the day. They do work at night or if I put them in the manual headlight position.
Most of the vehicles today have DRL's, which sense the amount of daylight available and do not always turn them on. At most, you may have a set of "dimmer" headlights that come on during the day. If they work fine at night, your lights are okay
Old 01-23-2018, 05:56 PM   #4
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Because its light out. Auto headlamps have a photo sensor that determines level of light and turns your headlights on at dusk.

Have you never had a car with them or heard of them????? They've been aroubd since Cadillac had the "autronic eye" in 1955. GM changed tye name to Twighlight Sentinel around '63 and Became standard on all Caddys by the mid-60s, were optional on most every GM car and truck by the 1990s, and became standard equipment on every car around 10 years ago.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:09 AM   #5
Unbukwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Most of the vehicles today have DRL's, which sense the amount of daylight available and do not always turn them on. At most, you may have a set of "dimmer" headlights that come on during the day. If they work fine at night, your lights are okay
I know the dimmer lights are supposed to come on during the day but the dimmers won’t turn on. No led lights in the front or side markers. I’m pretty sure the side markers are supposed to be on all day. Ugh I’m worried it might some of the wiring. Hopefully it’s just a fuse. If I have to take I’ll take it into the dealer but was hoping someone had some knowledge on the subject!
Old 01-24-2018, 12:46 AM   #6
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
On my Gen5 I used to just run the headlights on all the time. I thought the HID "eagle eye" headlights looked way better then the dumb incandescent DRLs that came on those. They definitely fixed that on the Gen6.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:57 AM   #7
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
I know the dimmer lights are supposed to come on during the day but the dimmers won’t turn on. No led lights in the front or side markers. I’m pretty sure the side markers are supposed to be on all day. Ugh I’m worried it might some of the wiring. Hopefully it’s just a fuse. If I have to take I’ll take it into the dealer but was hoping someone had some knowledge on the subject!
No, the side markers should not be on during the day. Only your LED DRLs. Is that what you mean by "dimmers"?

LED DRLs are the thin strip of lights around the headlights. Those should be on all the time. Nothing else should be.

Then at night, all lights come on including side markers.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:51 AM   #8
DanSnow

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT 2.0T
If your lights are working at night than everything is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
No, the side markers should not be on during the day. Only your LED DRLs. Is that what you mean by "dimmers"?

LED DRLs are the thin strip of lights around the headlights. Those should be on all the time. Nothing else should be.

If you do not have the RS package than I believe your DRLs are the 2 vertical lights below your headlights, they should be on during the day.
DanSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:36 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Side-markers don't come on unless it's dark out. Same with rear running lights (tail lights).

If you have the RS package, the LED "swooshes" come on as your daytime running light. If you don't, I believe the regular headlights come on, like most other cars.

If your "approach lights" (reverse lights, headlights, etc) don't come on when you unlock your car...it might just be the vehicle lighting settings in the computer.

Hope all this helps.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:57 AM   #10
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Your DRLs might not come on when you first start up the car, but then come on when you put the car in gear/start moving. I know my Mazda CX-5 does this, haven't really paid attention to it on my Camaro.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:35 AM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
DRLs only in daylight. No side markers.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #12
Unbukwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post

That thin strip that your referring to are the ones that are not going on. No light at all in the front. The setting is on auto when this occurs but then when I set it to manual all the lights turn on. Appreciate the help!
Old 01-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #13
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
With headlights in auto mode, use a magazine to alternately cover and uncover the ambient light sensor so you can observe behavior from outside.
Attached Images

ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #14
Bobkd

Drives: 2018 1ss, 2021 silverado HD
Have someone look at them when your in drive and the parking brake is off.
Bobkd is offline   Reply With Quote