Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-06-2018, 04:26 AM   #15
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Nothing to knock the current V6 Camaro it's a great vehicle plenty of power. I loved my 5th Gen 2LT/RS I drove that more than I drove my 4th Gen Z/28.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:17 AM   #16
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
My 2017 RS V6 with the A8 had plenty enough power for me- and it was good on gas too and took 87 octane fuel. I did not care about track or racing so for daily driving it was awesome. So much better than your average cookie cutter car.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:40 AM   #17
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevelleSS View Post
Well he did say 350 so I assume he is referring to the pre-LS LT1 350, In which case I would bet on the 6th Gen v6.
LS1 Fbody would most likely pull a 6th gen v6

No it was the first year for the LS1 in the Trans Am. Turns out after a search it was rated 320 hp 345 tq:
The Firebird Trans Am was powered by GM's 5.7-liter LS1 V-8. The WS6 package added a functional "Ram Air" hood-scoop that helped direct cool air into the engine, along with a freer-flowing exhaust system. These enhancements helped boost output to 320 horsepower at 5,200 rpm and 345 foot-pounds of torque at 4,400 rpm, which was an improvement of 15 horsepower and 25 foot-pounds of torque over the standard Trans Am. Buyers could choose between a four-speed automatic transmission or a Borg-Warner six-speed manual with Hurst shifter.
The WS6 package also added a power steering cooler and special 17-inch aluminum wheels with sticky Goodyear F1 GS tires. The Firebird employed a double-wishbone front suspension with a traditional live-axle setup in the rear. Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS came standard. Traction control was available as an option.
Performance

The Firebird Trans Am WS6's performance capabilities were quite strong for its time. It could accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in five seconds flat. A quarter-mile run took just 13.5 seconds at 107.4 mph. While straight-line speed was the main attraction, the Pontiac also put out very decent braking and handling numbers. It could decelerate from 60 to 0 mph in 121 feet, which was about 10 feet better than the Camaro Z28, its platform-mate equivalent from Chevrolet. On a 200-foot skid pad, it could achieve a solid 0.84G of lateral acceleration. Finally, the Trans Am WS6 could race its way through a 600-foot slalom course at 64.6 mph.

craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:41 AM   #18
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
I owned a 2002 Camaro Z28 for a decade. I've owned my current 2017 V6 for 20 months. I drove both of them like they're hot.

I can honestly say it would be a drivers race the F body had more torque. The V6 revs to 7000 RPM.

Where the V6 totally kills it is handling. I've never had a car that handles like that.

I loved both of the cars.
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:44 AM   #19
Bluecyclone

Drives: 2014 Cyclone mustang
If my 14 Cyclone mustang had 3.73:1 gear I'd not have sold it as I'd done a full suspension set up with Koni adj. and BMR suspension. It handled well. V6 ponies are to be respected.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:55 AM   #20
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Just keep in mind guys when I made my comparison comment I was not referring to the WS6 or SS packages, just the standard Firebird Formula/TA or Camaro Z28 with the base 305 hp. That's what I meant when I said "stock for stock"
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #21
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Just keep in mind guys when I made my comparison comment I was not referring to the WS6 or SS packages, just the standard Firebird Formula/TA or Camaro Z28 with the base 305 hp. That's what I meant when I said "stock for stock"
That is what I was referring to.
The Base Camaro Z28 and Firebird Formula just as well as every model of the LS1 equipped 4th Gen manufacturer rating is incorrect and was nerfed on paper by the manufacture as to keep LS1 F-Bodies from driving into Corvette sales. They DYNO AT THE WHEELS at ~ 300 RWHP. They are ALL rated at ~ 350 HP at the crank. The models, SS, Firehawk, base Z28, Formula...means nothing in the 4th Gen in terms of Horse Power... they ALL make the same Horse Power give or take a variance of at most 5 ponies given an intake or ram air kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
No it was the first year for the LS1 in the Trans Am. Turns out after a search it was rated 320 hp 345 tq:
The Firebird Trans Am was powered by GM's 5.7-liter LS1 V-8. The WS6 package added a functional "Ram Air" hood-scoop that helped direct cool air into the engine, along with a freer-flowing exhaust system. These enhancements helped boost output to 320 horsepower at 5,200 rpm and 345 foot-pounds of torque at 4,400 rpm, which was an improvement of 15 horsepower and 25 foot-pounds of torque over the standard Trans Am. Buyers could choose between a four-speed automatic transmission or a Borg-Warner six-speed manual with Hurst shifter.
The WS6 package also added a power steering cooler and special 17-inch aluminum wheels with sticky Goodyear F1 GS tires. The Firebird employed a double-wishbone front suspension with a traditional live-axle setup in the rear. Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS came standard. Traction control was available as an option.
Performance

The Firebird Trans Am WS6's performance capabilities were quite strong for its time. It could accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in five seconds flat. A quarter-mile run took just 13.5 seconds at 107.4 mph. While straight-line speed was the main attraction, the Pontiac also put out very decent braking and handling numbers. It could decelerate from 60 to 0 mph in 121 feet, which was about 10 feet better than the Camaro Z28, its platform-mate equivalent from Chevrolet. On a 200-foot skid pad, it could achieve a solid 0.84G of lateral acceleration. Finally, the Trans Am WS6 could race its way through a 600-foot slalom course at 64.6 mph.

Ignore everything you research regarding the manufacturer provided power rating regarding the LS1 F-Body. THEY ARE INCORRECT

The LS1 F-Body shares the EXACT same motor between the C5.
There is absolutely NO mechanical difference in the motor used in the C5 and 4th Gen V8, the heads and cam are exactly the same. The intake manifold is also exactly the same. The only difference is the accessory routing is different between the two cars and different exhaust / intake.

They are the EXACT same motor much in the same way the LT1 of the 6th Gen SS and current Base C7 share the same motor and produce the same power.

The LS1 F-Body of ALL YEARS and ALL TRIMS make ~ 350 Horses at the crank. It doesn't matter if its a Z28, SS, Firehawk, TransAm, or even when it was built.

The Horse Power ratings on paper by the manufacture are nerfed numbers and the LS1 F-Body was underrated from the factory.

They are mid 13 to high 12 sec cars depending on the specific car and driver.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-06-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #22
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
Performance

Actually, it wasn't really a double-wishbone front suspension. It was called a SLA (short-long arm) front suspension with coilover type front struts.

Too bad handling took a back seat on the 4th gen though. Most 3rd gens with the performance suspension package could achieve up to 0.92G lateral acceleration back in the day.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #23
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
I ran against my co-workers stock 17 A8 V6 on multiple occasions in my old mint 30k mile 02 Z28. My 02 had ls6 intake from factory, CAI and the 4l60e. It was a drivers race literally EVERY time. Whoever got the jump, held the lead. Didn't matter if it was a dig, a roll, or high speed.
Attached Images

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #24
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Anyone have any video of the 6th gen V6 vs the LS1? I tried searching but found nothing legit on stock vs stock
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:34 AM   #25
7speed

Drives: 21 SS
Yeah that V6 is a nice car. I had 1 as a rental once and felt lighter on its feet. If I was not into racing I would have picked that up instead. I drove a manual 4 also but it felt to similar to 2012 Regal GS I had.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #26
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Anyone have any video of the 6th gen V6 vs the LS1? I tried searching but found nothing legit on stock vs stock
I have one against a T/A, i'll upload it. Was my first run with T/C on and it bogged. 14.0 to his 13.9.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #27
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
That is what I was referring to.
The Base Camaro Z28 and Firebird Formula just as well as every model of the LS1 equipped 4th Gen manufacturer rating is incorrect and was nerfed on paper by the manufacture as to keep LS1 F-Bodies from driving into Corvette sales. They DYNO AT THE WHEELS at ~ 300 RWHP. They are ALL rated at ~ 350 HP at the crank. The models, SS, Firehawk, base Z28, Formula...means nothing in the 4th Gen in terms of Horse Power... they ALL make the same Horse Power give or take a variance of at most 5 ponies given an intake or ram air kit.
Don't forget the SAE revised horsepower rating calculations in 2003. After '03 the rating is far more accurate and reliable. The 350 "at the crank" you speak of is the old school, pre 1972, without accessory or transmission load, SAE Gross. SAE Net I after '72 was a bit more accurate but SAE Net II in 2003 is what cars are rated according to now.

The 330 that the current v6 is rated at is far more accurate to what it's putting to the ground, maybe within 2% of actual, than the rating calculations used for the 4th gen.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #28
Snrub

Drives: Gone: 2017 Camaro SS
The 6th gen Camaro is a great car. Who would have thought?

I don't know what there is to discuss when comparing a 4th gen SS to 6th gen V6. Compare the best car magazine quarter mile time and possibly other metrics for each. Based on this it's a wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Actually, it wasn't really a double-wishbone front suspension. It was called a SLA (short-long arm) front suspension with coilover type front struts.
That's the same thing. Ford has used the term "control blade" too.
Snrub is offline   Reply With Quote