Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-30-2019, 09:07 AM   #715
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I had the shutter flush back in July of last year on my 16 A8. It seemed to help but after 4000 miles it started coming back. As the air temperature increased it got even worse. I took it to dealer and they said the reading on the picometer was so bad that they didn't make it out the parking lot. They did the new flush and it made a world of difference. I'm only about 250 miles since the new flush...
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:13 AM   #716
T32803

Drives: Sold it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosozeppelin View Post
Yep, I essentially feel the same way as you. I enjoy driving my car...When it's not shuddering! It's ridiculous that our cars are nearly 40k and shake like we're driving on rumble strips constantly. I'm having to try again for mine at the dealer. It didn't read up to GM's standards for the picometer, even though it's shaking like a mofo. The dealer told me it's definitely there, but it's been taking two to three attempts for some people to catch it reading bad enough for GM to approve the new flush. It's a bunch of crap. Had I known this would have happened, I'd have most likely gotten a used 392 Charger or a used 2014-2015 5th gen SS. I worked my butt off to get two college degrees and my motivation the whole time was wanting to be able to afford a new Camaro. It's a beautiful car...But an extremely frustrating car.
GM [insert profanity here] sucks for dodging the problem they know
exists by saying "The Pico doesn't show that it's bad enough yet".

GM knows the problem exists!

If we waste 2-4 hours of our day to bring our new cars to a GM dealer
to get something fixed that bothers us then fauking fix it. Don't tell
us to go away and live with it. I can't understand why some people
on here give GM a free pass because it hasn't affected them yet or
why they say "I just spent $3,000 of my own money to fix GM's defect"

It's GM's problem and everyone needs to start putting pressure on GM
to fix it. I consider the crappy throttle response to be another defect that
GM should provide a tune under warranty to fix it. Instead people need
to pay $800 and void their warranty to have a custom tune performed in
order to fix the throttle response to remove the delay and make it as
responsive as any non-GM AT.

The A8 sucks but both issues can be fixed if GM bean counters weren't
dodging the warranty repair costs.

Last edited by T32803; 04-30-2019 at 09:24 AM.
T32803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:45 PM   #717
strickerj

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible 8A
Quote:
Yep, I essentially feel the same way as you. I enjoy driving my car...When it's not shuddering! It's ridiculous that our cars are nearly 40k and shake like we're driving on rumble strips constantly. I'm having to try again for mine at the dealer. It didn't read up to GM's standards for the picometer, even though it's shaking like a mofo. The dealer told me it's definitely there, but it's been taking two to three attempts for some people to catch it reading bad enough for GM to approve the new flush. It's a bunch of crap. Had I known this would have happened, I'd have most likely gotten a used 392 Charger or a used 2014-2015 5th gen SS. I worked my butt off to get two college degrees and my motivation the whole time was wanting to be able to afford a new Camaro. It's a beautiful car...But an extremely frustrating car.
Me too... and my 2016 2SS convertible stickered for over $50k. Of course, I didn't pay that much - but in hindsight, it's a bad sign when they're offering $10,000 cash back on a first year model.

I wouldn't mind swapping for a manual (at their expense), but I know that's not happening. I normally prefer stick, but it was kind of a spur of the moment, and my wife wanted to drive it too.
strickerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:34 PM   #718
Zosozeppelin

Drives: 2017 RS 50th Anniversary Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by T32803 View Post
GM [insert profanity here] sucks for dodging the problem they know
exists by saying "The Pico doesn't show that it's bad enough yet".

GM knows the problem exists!

If we waste 2-4 hours of our day to bring our new cars to a GM dealer
to get something fixed that bothers us then fauking fix it. Don't tell
us to go away and live with it. I can't understand why some people
on here give GM a free pass because it hasn't affected them yet or
why they say "I just spent $3,000 of my own money to fix GM's defect"

It's GM's problem and everyone needs to start putting pressure on GM
to fix it. I consider the crappy throttle response to be another defect that
GM should provide a tune under warranty to fix it. Instead people need
to pay $800 and void their warranty to have a custom tune performed in
order to fix the throttle response to remove the delay and make it as
responsive as any non-GM AT.

The A8 sucks but both issues can be fixed if GM bean counters weren't
dodging the warranty repair costs.
I should have figured something like this would happen. I loved my Saturn and drove that car into the dirt. But when the power steering issues initially developed on it, at first GM recalled it on the Cobalt but put out an extended warranty for Saturn owners. Thankfully that was pretty cut and dry and the dealer quickly fixed it for me. Can't really argue with it when the car lost power steering literally 15 seconds into any drive. I think they eventually expanded the recall for the Ion as well. Saturn was always their redheaded step child, so I figured that was why. All of these issues coupled with a horrible experience from the first dealer I went to with this Camaro, I don't think I'll be buying GM again. I did see that there's the class action lawsuit, so hopefully that'll give them a swift kick in the rear and they will recall it. I'm sure the reason they haven't is because there's so many A8s running around out there that it would be big $$$ for them to recall and flush all of them.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:38 PM   #719
Zosozeppelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by strickerj View Post
Me too... and my 2016 2SS convertible stickered for over $50k. Of course, I didn't pay that much - but in hindsight, it's a bad sign when they're offering $10,000 cash back on a first year model.

I wouldn't mind swapping for a manual (at their expense), but I know that's not happening. I normally prefer stick, but it was kind of a spur of the moment, and my wife wanted to drive it too.
Thankfully I did not pay sticker, either. RS Camaros quickly lose their value though, so if I wanted to trade this car in, I'd take a huge hit. I put 12k down when I bought it and nearly ended up upside down on it when we factored in taxes and extended warranty into the loan (which I'm glad at this point I got if it will cover anything later). I'm sure I could learn to drive a manual if for whatever reason they would offer us a swap, but I like the pre-refresh more and I'd rather just opt for a buy back if that slim chance of an opportunity ever presented itself. It's been in the shop for over a month total for various issues since I bought it, but I don't think it quite qualifies for lemon law.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:41 PM   #720
T32803

The 2019s are not selling well with Mustang on top and the Challenger
sliding into 2nd place now. Although this can't be blamed on the A8
because GM dealers keep the A8 abomination a strict secret from all
potential customers. I think it's part of mandatory 1st day sales training.

The recent fall in sales is said to be the new face that only a mother could love:
https://jalopnik.com/the-ford-mustan...nch-1828921644

I still want to know why GM can't give us proper dual-clutch auto transmissions
like other sporty cars have.

Last edited by T32803; 04-30-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:15 PM   #721
strickerj

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible 8A
Quote:
Thankfully I did not pay sticker, either. RS Camaros quickly lose their value though, so if I wanted to trade this car in, I'd take a huge hit. I put 12k down when I bought it and nearly ended up upside down on it when we factored in taxes and extended warranty into the loan (which I'm glad at this point I got if it will cover anything later). I'm sure I could learn to drive a manual if for whatever reason they would offer us a swap, but I like the pre-refresh more and I'd rather just opt for a buy back if that slim chance of an opportunity ever presented itself. It's been in the shop for over a month total for various issues since I bought it, but I don't think it quite qualifies for lemon law.
Yeah, same here - KBB shows mine worth somewhere in the upper 20s for private party sale (mid 20s for trade-in). I looked into my state’s lemon law, and it doesn’t apply since the problem wasn’t documented in the first year (it started getting bad enough for me to figure out what it was at around 13 months, naturally).
strickerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:18 AM   #722
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
I have posted on this thread before. I understand the frustration. Went through the same crap for months/years and different dealers. Ultimately GM swapped out the TC. Of course I did not trust that it would last so I took maters into my own hands and went with a tune to change the problematic shift points causing the shudder/shake. It was either that or hate diving the car. Now I may not have a warranty but I can enjoy driving the car. The A8 performs well with the tune. I wish you luck going forward.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:19 AM   #723
T32803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driski View Post
I have posted on this thread before. I understand the frustration. Went through the same crap for months/years and different dealers. Ultimately GM swapped out the TC. Of course I did not trust that it would last so I took maters into my own hands and went with a tune to change the problematic shift points causing the shudder/shake. It was either that or hate diving the car. Now I may not have a warranty but I can enjoy driving the car. The A8 performs well with the tune. I wish you luck going forward.
How much was the tune? Did it also take out the throttle hesitation also?
Was it done at a local shop or was it a remotely tuned car like Trifecta?

We need the details.. I am starting to considering it.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:09 AM   #724
Zosozeppelin

Quote:
Thank you for the well wishes, I might need them! Fortunately my dealer is really good, and they've said it's frustrating on their end dealing with these cars that don't read up to the vibration level on the picometer but knowing it's doing it. I took it out on a cruise yesterday to see if I could consistently replicate it, and I felt like I could. I'm off today as well, so I'm going to run some errands and see if I can confirm it again. It's getting worse with the warmer weather, which my dealer told me it would and to bring it back around now. I'd hate to void the warranty because this car has been in the shop for two other warranty issues unrelated to the transmission, plus I paid for that extended warranty. I feel like I'm just at the mercy of GM and praying that it doesn't cause permanent damage to the transmission.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:15 AM   #725
Driski

Quote:

Local shop (Jannetty Racing). Since I was going to loose the warranty anyway I had headers and E85 added. So now AFM is gone, Transmission shudder gone, worries gone, throttle hesitation reduced significantly (more so than any other attempts ie: ported TB, CAI, Range AFM Delete). $$ significant. Not sure exactly what the cost of tune alone was. Love the added HP and the sound of the headers. I hope this answers your questions.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:23 AM   #726
Driski

Quote:
Thank you for the well wishes, I might need them! Fortunately my dealer is really good, and they've said it's frustrating on their end dealing with these cars that don't read up to the vibration level on the picometer but knowing it's doing it. I took it out on a cruise yesterday to see if I could consistently replicate it, and I felt like I could. I'm off today as well, so I'm going to run some errands and see if I can confirm it again. It's getting worse with the warmer weather, which my dealer told me it would and to bring it back around now. I'd hate to void the warranty because this car has been in the shop for two other warranty issues unrelated to the transmission, plus I paid for that extended warranty. I feel like I'm just at the mercy of GM and praying that it doesn't cause permanent damage to the transmission.
I also have the extended warranty. It is very stressful what you are going through. I was considering selling or trading the car off for something else (ZL1, but could not afford it). Driving the car became NOT FUN. Yes, I may not have a drive train warranty but I was willing to take that chance so I could enjoy my car. IMO you are going the correct route. Get it fixed (as far as GM will go) and then either sell/trade or MOD the car and tune. Good luck!
Old 05-02-2019, 05:09 AM   #727
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

Quote:
Local shop (Jannetty Racing). Since I was going to loose the warranty anyway I had headers and E85 added. So now AFM is gone, Transmission shudder gone, worries gone, throttle hesitation reduced significantly (more so than any other attempts ie: ported TB, CAI, Range AFM Delete). $$ significant. Not sure exactly what the cost of tune alone was. Love the added HP and the sound of the headers. I hope this answers your questions.
Mine was done by Jannetty Racing, too, not exactly local but well worth the 2-hour drive. The trans is just about perfect after his tune, shifts are crisp in performance mode and smooth when cruising, no shudder whatsoever. The throttle lag is also gone (although I did also have them add the LT5 throttle body).

They are not cheap, but fair and transparent, and know full well what they're doing, you won't be disappointed. In other words, you do get what you pay for.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:52 AM   #728
T32803

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Mine was done by Jannetty Racing, too, not exactly local but well worth the 2-hour drive. The trans is just about perfect after his tune, shifts are crisp in performance mode and smooth when cruising, no shudder whatsoever. The throttle lag is also gone (although I did also have them add the LT5 throttle body).

They are not cheap, but fair and transparent, and know full well what they're doing, you won't be disappointed. In other words, you do get what you pay for.
They are too far away for me. What does the tune alone cost?