Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-16-2019, 07:56 AM   #771
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Newest release of the TSB doesn't require the dealer to replicate the problem. Only customer complaint is required.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #772
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Newest release of the TSB doesn't require the dealer to replicate the problem. Only customer complaint is required.
Can somebody confirm this? I know people in the forums have been saying this but no word on if it’s true or not.
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #773
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerlazer26 View Post
Can somebody confirm this? I know people in the forums have been saying this but no word on if it’s true or not.
This was confirmed by a service writer at the dealership I use. I spoke to him about the transmission needing to be warm to exhibit the problem, and that it would be warm when I arrived to drop the car off, and that I was happy to demonstrate the problem to a technician if they wanted me to. I told him that what I did not want was a tech trying to duplicate it later on a cold transmission and saying they could not duplicate the problem. He read a section of the TSB to me and said he reads it that they don't need to confirm, so not to worry about it. I also asked him to check on the p/n of the fluid they were going to use, and he did and when he read it off to me, it was the correct one. Needless to say, this made me happy.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:17 PM   #774
T32803

Drives: Sold it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
This was confirmed by a service writer at the dealership I use. I spoke to him about the transmission needing to be warm to exhibit the problem, and that it would be warm when I arrived to drop the car off, and that I was happy to demonstrate the problem to a technician if they wanted me to. I told him that what I did not want was a tech trying to duplicate it later on a cold transmission and saying they could not duplicate the problem. He read a section of the TSB to me and said he reads it that they don't need to confirm, so not to worry about it. I also asked him to check on the p/n of the fluid they were going to use, and he did and when he read it off to me, it was the correct one. Needless to say, this made me happy.
What years does this service bulletin cover? 2016-2017 like the previous bulletins or does it now include 2018 ? Better yet, could someone be kind enough to post it..
T32803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:40 PM   #775
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by T32803 View Post
What years does this service bulletin cover? 2016-2017 like the previous bulletins or does it now include 2018 ? Better yet, could someone be kind enough to post it..
+1 Do you think they would care that mine is a early 2018 build?
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #776
Orion89

Drives: 2010 2LT
Hey Guys, I'm in the market for a used SS and was looking at an A8 2016.

I was wondering if anybody might be able to provide insight as to whether this issue is being covered under the 3yr bumper-to-bumper warranty, or if it would fall under the longer power train warranty as well. I am hoping it would be the latter, since I am reading in the Chevrolet Limited Warranty and Owner Assistance Information that the torque converter is included in the 5-year warranty, but I was just curious if anybody might know for sure. I'm just concerned with the problem presenting itself if I end up buying the 2016 since it is fresh out of that 3 year window at this point, but it is a killer deal I am having a hard time passing up.

Thanks in advance to anybody that can help out!
Orion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #777
mrflorida

Drives: 18 - Camaro 2SS Garnet Red Tint
My car is a 2018 built in 10/17. Bought this car used with only 200mi on it and appears to have the issue. So I am starting down the road to see what the fix is. Based on the posts here starting on 2015 built cars, I can't believe this problem still existed in cars built in 2017! Does anyone know the root cause fault in the engineering of the car???

UPDATE= Had Transmission fluid changed and problem gone. Under warranty no charge. Not sure but appears they may have tweaked the computer car does not go into v4 mode as much. I am sure if GM wanted a quick fix they would rather re-program the computer (TCM) than replace fluid. Perhaps they can do a bit of both.

Last edited by mrflorida; 09-19-2019 at 11:14 PM.
mrflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:04 AM   #778
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion89 View Post

I was wondering if anybody might be able to provide insight as to whether this issue is being covered under the 3yr bumper-to-bumper warranty, or if it would fall under the longer power train warranty as well. I am hoping it would be the latter, since I am reading in the Chevrolet Limited Warranty and Owner Assistance Information that the torque converter is included in the 5-year warranty, but I was just curious if anybody might know for sure. I'm just concerned with the problem presenting itself if I end up buying the 2016 since it is fresh out of that 3 year window at this point, but it is a killer deal I am having a hard time passing up.

Thanks in advance to anybody that can help out!
Welcome to the forum!

I don't know if the warranty differs in Canada, but here in the states, the Service Writer at the Chevy dealership I use says it is covered under the longer powertrain warranty.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:15 AM   #779
T32803

Quote:
You will most likely encounter shudder and hate it.
All 2016+ A8 Camaros get it. It is a design flaw.
GM sucks for continuing to put this flawed A8 in year after year.

If I could do it all over again I would have bought the manual.

If GM were to offer to covert my A8 to a manual I would do it
in a heartbeat and eat the extra I paid for the A8 upcharge.
The A8 sucks and it will frustrate you.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #780
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T32803 View Post

Can we really say "all"? I am not so sure about that.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #781
Orion89

Drives: 2010 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I don't know if the warranty differs in Canada, but here in the states, the Service Writer at the Chevy dealership I use says it is covered under the longer powertrain warranty.

Thanks man appreciate it. That certainly helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T32803

I am really interested in grabbing the 2016 2SS with the A8 because of the price, but have done tons of reading and basically fear exactly what you said; that I'll just hate it. I drove two of them and while I didn't feel the shudder, I did feel the 'laggy' shift from 1st-2nd and sometimes from 2nd-3rd under regular driving and not slamming the pedal down.

The other vehicle I'm checking out is a 2019 1SS, brand new with the 6M. Every car I've owned has been a manual and I do love it, but I've recently moved to Toronto and drive in traffic frequently, so I was strongly considering the auto. I don't really feel like forking out the dough for the A10 2SS and there aren't any 1SS models with the A10 packaged out the way I want left on the market. I guess I'd probably be better off waiting for the 2020, but the 2019 is spec'd just how I want it, and I am eligible for the Costco preferred pricing promotion GM is running in Canada right now which saves me a few thousand bucks.

I guess I should probably just cross the 2016 off the list though if the transmission is really that bad.

Last edited by Orion89; 08-18-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Orion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #782
T32803

Quote:
The other vehicle I'm checking out is a 2019 1SS, brand new with the 6M
Get the 6M. I would. I will be the first in line if GM offers to convert A8s to 6M at no charge. I test drove 2 different 2LT V6s at different dealers and didn't notice anything weird at the time because a test drive is too short to know the car.

You will hear a few people who claim that shudder does not exist because they don't notice it on their cars. And some people are numb in the head and wouldn't notice an anvil falling on their head either. This goes deeper than the shudder. The A8 always upshifts as much as possible to get better "test MPGs" for the window sticker. In real life driving you are constantly tapping to the downshift paddle because the car lugs and won't go because the AFM always put the car into the highest gear possible at all times. You constantly fight with it. Or you learn to stomp on the gas hard every time you need to speed up after having a steady speed for 5 seconds. (which will piss off your passengers)

Buy the manual !!
Old 08-18-2019, 07:09 PM   #783
Tarbender62

Drives: 2018 2SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerlazer26 View Post
Have a look at this thread, I took this to my dealer and they did the TSB with the info from this.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...9#post10589629
Tarbender62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #784
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrflorida View Post
My car is a 2018 built in 10/17. Bought this car used with only 200mi on it and appears to have the issue. So I am starting down the road to see what the fix is. Based on the posts here starting on 2015 built cars, I can't believe this problem still existed in cars built in 2017! Does anyone know the root cause fault in the engineering of the car???
It's the fluid. Simple fix.