Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-09-2019, 06:24 PM   #365
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Drives: 2015 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Now, I could ask Ted to adjust the tune further, but if the reason is in the hardware design that results in input compression between 0% and 20-25% TPS, it may be hard to restore linearity in the tune alone, given the tiny margin to work with. Hope I understood your explanations correctly.
Please, ask. But all the tuner can do is calibrate for the air the TB you have admits. That is; you have a set geometry with a set flow area at any given blade opening %. That won't change. Other than that they can change the throttle map as throttle controllers do but that only exacerbates the non-linearity. They do have many tools and tricks at their disposal, but I don't see how you can scape something built into the hardware.
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:51 PM   #366
Mick0311

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Redline
So for shits and giggle I reinstalled my pedal commander. It was awesome.

Between the Soler TB and the electrical delay gone, it is fun to drive.
Mick0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #367
vidkidZ
Mobile/Embedded Architect

Drives: '16 2SS white convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Falcone View Post
Finally did the install this afternoon...

I actually received the Soler TB last week, the day before we left for a long weekend in Pennsylvania for a family reunion. (Great time, but was thinking about getting the install done the whole time!)

Anyway, BIG thanks to VidKidZ for his hints/hacks on making an easy install even easier. Getting all the bolts out then rotating the stock TB made it very easy to remove the cable. (Pull the grey locking tab, then gently wiggle it off. Then cable onto the Soler first. No prob.).

Then pre-threading the bottom right bolt first made the install of the Soler TB super quick.

So now it sits in my carport with the negative cable disconnected and the trunk resting closed but unlatched...

Cannot wait to take my little one to her summer day camp in the morning!
Good to know the install tips learned during my install helped to make the process easier. I'm looking forward to your assessment of the Soler TB on your vert.

One thing I've noticed with the top down, when flooring the 2SS vert at 40mph on the highway with the Soler TB, the cloud of black smoke left for the Prius in the rear view mirror has been noticeably reduced thanks to the additional airflow.
vidkidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:52 PM   #368
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC View Post
Please, ask. But all the tuner can do is calibrate for the air the TB you have admits. That is; you have a set geometry with a set flow area at any given blade opening %. That won't change. Other than that they can change the throttle map as throttle controllers do but that only exacerbates the non-linearity. They do have many tools and tricks at their disposal, but I don't see how you can scape something built into the hardware.
Indeed, and this is why I'm interested in your LT5 test results instead of pestering him to try and fix a characteristic that is actually more due to hardware design.

Now I admit I have little clue about tuning, but I think playing with the max throttle area further in the tune could shift the curve up and down, yet that wouldn't bring it closer to linear progression, trying to forcefully expand an overly compressed curve is sketchy in general and I'm afraid it would just make the pedal twitchy and the response inconsistent.

As I said, this setup is tangibly better than stock and the larger TB+tune did add some rwhp/rwtq, I'm not unhappy, but if there is an easy fix for that first 15%... I'll wait for your results and your ported/enhanced LT5 TB announcement

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:06 PM   #369
Marco Falcone

Drives: 2018 2SS Convertible MBM/Kal
VidKidZ: It really did help. It was scotch in one hand/ratchet in the other hand kind of easy with your tips. Thanks again.

Put about 50 miles on it today, after having the battery disconnected for about 11 hours.

Felt great! Much more responsive in both regular A8 and in manual shift mode. Actually jumps a bit off the line if you blip the throttle.

I like to drive around town/surface streets in manual shift mode, as the exhaust just burbles and chortles and crackles almost like an exotic. I usually bump it over to D on the freeway, since it keeps the gas gauge from visibly moving and is just a little easier for cruising.

Both felt much quicker in throttle response, and it was much easier to modulate speed with less pedal input.

And I think the exhaust sounds even better with the Soler TB in both modes.

I admit to hoonin’ a bit more than usual on the freeway today, with a few pedal-mashed 75 to 100 runs. It felt like the engine/drivetrain was much more connected to the accelerator than it was before. (Was also kind of hoping to help the ECM “get learned up.”)

Also, no CELS or any other issues. (The only other “mods” I’m running are a Range device and Fuse 51 pulled.)

Based on what I’ve read, I’m excited that as the ECM learns more over the next 50 miles or so it will likely get even better.

Thank you very much Soler!

Now, if only Soler would make a ported OEM intake manifold to match this...
2018 2SS Vert. MBM/Kalahari. MRR FS01’s with 285/305 MPS4S. Black Bow ties, A8, MRC, NPP, 6-piston Brembo’s w/ matching rears, OEM Ground Effects/Splash Guards, 8”/Nav. Borla S-type, Pray IM/TB, RotoFab.

Past DD’s of note:
2013 Caprice PPV. (“Company” car.)
1998 Cadillac STS
1996 Impala SS
1969 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1993 Corvette
1991 Mustang 5.0 LX
1973 Alfa Romeo Spider
1986 Mustang GT T-top
1964 Falcon Sprint Hardtop. (First car, still have the key!)
Marco Falcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:45 PM   #370
Risky Justice

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Installed today—perfect! Just what the car needed. That stock throttle response was really frustrating, but now it feels pretty close to a throttle cable setup. This is how they should come from the factory.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:31 AM   #371
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Sent my core back Monday and already got my refund yesterday. That’s great customer service!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #372
csmwilliamjohnson
Silver Bullet

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Soler Performance TB

I thought I would do a followup after nearly a week with my new TB. I have gone through the complete learning process with no real issues. I did notice a bit of a surge/deceleration at speeds around 45-60, when I tried to maintain the speed with rev match on. It's nothing to concerning because it goes away if I give it gas. I will keep ya'll updated if anything changes but so far I'm completely satisfied and Mike and team have already refunded my core charge!
csmwilliamjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #373
BurnOne

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Are there any discount codes??
BurnOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #374
vidkidZ
Mobile/Embedded Architect

Drives: '16 2SS white convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnOne View Post
Are there any discount codes??
Hmmmm. If you are looking for a discount code, other manufacturers of Modified Ported Throttle Bodies for the Camaro are more likely to offer them based on the dent Soler has made in their sales.

It's a great product, even without discount codes.
vidkidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #375
Racerman27410

Drives: 2016 SS 2SS
I like a discount as much as anyone but i'll be honest here and say i have zero buyer's remorse on this mod...... The way it changes the throttle response makes it worth every penny they are charging for it.... You have everything to gain and nothing to lose since Soler offers a moneyback guarantee including free return shipping if you dont like it.

You will like it.
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #376
BurnOne

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Thanks for the response...Not looking for a hand out...Soler's checkout has an option for a discount code, was just wondering if there was one!! Thanks again!!
BurnOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #377
chubs

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
I’ve been meaning to reply to this for a while but I’ve just been enjoying the car too much!

Can’t say enough about what a difference the Soler TB makes. I just traded in a 2015 Challenger SRT and my one complaint about my new 2019 2SS 1LE was the throttle response. I made comments like somehow I forgot how to drive manual in between cars. The hit or miss throttle was such a surprise when on paper the 2 cars seem to be very similar. The power in the Challenger was always right there, no hesitation. Thank you Soler for turning this into the car I had expected and wanted to be driving from the get go!

The install is as simple as everyone has described, took 15mins. I did the overnight battery disconnect and thank you to whoever mentioned the “not closing your trunk” trick as I’m sure at 4am when I finished I probably would have overlooked and been locked out the next morning. The difference is immediately noticeable and undeniably better and smoother. The relearn process is officially done and I’ve got about 1000kms to go until I’m finally out of the break in period for the car.

All I can say is that if you are reading this thread because you have anything less than stellar to say about your throttle response...JUST GET SOLER! Of all the mods I’ve done on multiple cars it’s the best quality of life mod I’ve installed just in the sense it makes daily driving so much more enjoyable.

And just one final note: I’ve had no issues at all with active rev matching on or off.
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:57 PM   #378
Spedee

Drives: SS
Here's my story. SS with 6 speed transmission.

I have been using the Tony Mamo for a year. It is a great unit until Soler came along. Mikes claims really intrigued me.
I still had my original OEM throttle body. Mike thought it would be better to rework it then the Mamo.
I also didn't have to do the battery disconnect since I was already running a ported throttle body. Just had to follow the red font instructions, so that was easier.
The tip in of the Soler is incredible. Instant throttle response, no lag. I'm still in the long term learning. But I am very pleased. I cant imagine what an owner feels starting with Soler first. But I can feel the difference of the Soler from the Mamo. Also no issues with rev match.
Spedee is offline   Reply With Quote