Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-05-2020, 02:53 PM   #15
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I said undiluted so what I referred to is 100%. You never need to mix IPA, as detailers call it , Stronger than 30% alcohol /70% water.
Ok, good to know, I'll further dilute mine down with more distilled water...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:11 PM   #16
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Ok, good to know, I'll further dilute mine down with more distilled water...

Don’t overthink it, leave your mix just as it is now… Remix with the new formulation later. You would have to leave 100% undiluted alcohol sitting on the surface for hours before it would make it Chalky. It’s not a big thing.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:18 PM   #17
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Don’t overthink it, leave your mix just as it is now… Remix with the new formulation later. You would have to leave 100% undiluted alcohol sitting on the surface for hours before it would make it Chalky. It’s not a big thing.
Sounds good, thanks!
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 06-05-2020, 03:25 PM   #18
GM Lifer

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS in Red Hot
Quote:
Keep in mind undiluted alcohol can do this, can turn clear coat milky white.
Interesting. As I mentioned, the car just spent two months in a body shop getting the rear bumper fixed. Is undiluted alcohol a common thing in a body shop? Maybe someone laid a rag soaked in it on that spot.
GM Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #19
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Lifer View Post
Interesting. As I mentioned, the car just spent two months in a body shop getting the rear bumper fixed. Is undiluted alcohol a common thing in a body shop? Maybe someone laid a rag soaked in it on that spot.
I wouldn't say undiluted alcohol is common in a body shop but lacquer thinner certainly is, likely would have the same effect (or worse) than alcohol...

Old 06-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #20
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:

Maybe, the only place that I’ve ever seen it is where a person has a bottle of alcohol they pour some out, it drips down the side of the bottle, then they set the bottle on a paint job and the ring that it creates causes it to be a milky ring. However Mike at auto geek has a few articles written on alcohol creating milky spots…

I doubt they use a Lot of alcohol in a body shop, they usually use other preps like prep-sol, etc.…
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:41 PM   #21
GM Lifer

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS in Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJR8402 View Post
Tough to tell from the photo whether that's a paint defect or surface contamination of some kind. Judging from your resolution with the cleaner wax, I'm betting it's the latter though.
Agree. I tried fixing shoddy clear coat on my previous car (not really understanding what was going on), and all I did was make it worse. If your clear is coming off, rubbing on it just takes off more of it. The fact that this stuff came off and there's no sign of it makes me think it was a surface contaminant. I'm slightly nervous that the cleaner/wax just covered it up, giving it the ILLUSION of being fixed, but I don't think that's the case. It looks for all the world like I got it off, whatever it was.
GM Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #22
EJR8402

Drives: 2019 Red Hot 1SS "Scarlett"
Quote:
Agree. I tried fixing shoddy clear coat on my previous car (not really understanding what was going on), and all I did was make it worse. If your clear is coming off, rubbing on it just takes off more of it. The fact that this stuff came off and there's no sign of it makes me think it was a surface contaminant. I'm slightly nervous that the cleaner/wax just covered it up, giving it the ILLUSION of being fixed, but I don't think that's the case. It looks for all the world like I got it off, whatever it was.
Easy enough to confirm- just use a wax remover (or IPA) and see if the defect is there.
EJR8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:18 AM   #23
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
To see if the cleaner wax only fixed it temporarily, apply some IPA on the area to see if the dullness comes back. If not, you're golden.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote