Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 08-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #113
2ss-booya

Drives: 2015 SS Sedan M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylftft View Post
That's me in the red ZL1, the GTR I was racing made 800awhp, I have less in my car than a used GTR! I've beat a few GTR's in the 1/4, 1/2 & 1 mile, honestly in a 1 mile race they don't stand much of a chance. An experienced shop can make the ZL1 perform, for alot less than your making it sound, a ZL1'S stock tranny & rearend will take 1000 rwhp, I know as a fact you have to put in close to an additional $100,000 into a GTR to get that, the stock stuff won't get there. I have friends that own them, I've driven them, very boring if you ask me, way to controlled, driver change makes hardly any difference in a GTR, just push the throttle & let the computer do its thing.
I like how BPG said your car was just a bolt on ZL1.... lol
2ss-booya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #114
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaslw View Post
Popped the fuses out for about three hours. Put them back in and took a drive. Put it in manual left the paddles alone, traction control off that's it. From a dead stop. She will roll the tires and hit second but it doesn't hit second very hard at all. I did finally hear my SC whine. Third is where I feel the most pull. All in all not much change to me. I left the fuses out all last night maybe I didn't wait long enough.
Did you buy your car used? Or was it new?
Did you see my post about a possible previous tune? Maybe you're doing more and more damage to your car everyday by driving it.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #115
cam99

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPG View Post
I spent $5k+ on my '12 ZL1 and barely broke 11s. Could be my driving, or my builder, the track prep, tires, star alignment or any other laundry list of reasons (M6 car). But for a 620 rwhp car, it was complete garbage.
Sounds like it's a good thing you got an auto AWD car then, because you were doing it wrong

2012 ZL1 (sold)
JRE 75rwhp kit
catless
ported lsa TB

11.04 @ 128.35
on hoosier drs and skinnies
@ PRP with 1100DA
cam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #116
JackalopeZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Popped the fuses out for about three hours. Put them back in and took a drive. Put it in manual left the paddles alone, traction control off that's it. From a dead stop. She will roll the tires and hit second but it doesn't hit second very hard at all. I did finally hear my SC whine. Third is where I feel the most pull. All in all not much change to me. I left the fuses out all last night maybe I didn't wait long enough.

Something sounds wrong.. mine is bone stock, will melt the tires off the line if I nail it with the nannies off. It will get squirlly going into second.. but I must admit it feels slower than it actually going.. I have pulled a few high 11 runs and it feels much slower compared to the other cars I have run those times in.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #117
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackalopeZL1 View Post
I must admit it feels slower than it is actually going..
When I first bought mine I thought it felt like a total dog compared to the CTS-V I had traded...but when I looked at data it was actually faster. No one that rides in my car now would ever say it feels slow but when it was stock it was deceptively drama free at speeds that you couldn't match in other cars.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:07 PM   #118
2014CamaroZL1

Drives: 2014 CRT ZL1
The acceleration often feels slower than the actual pace.
Probably because the LSA delivers power at such a linear, electric motor smooth rate.
No lag , no waiting for the cam, just whooooooosh !
2014CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:04 PM   #119
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
Thanks for the clarification, wasn't sure if after shifting to M if it was required to downshift using the paddles.

Well I'm also in L.A. and I see fake ZL1s almost every day so...
Not to try to bash. I love both cars but there are tons of V6 and SS Camaros with ZL1 bumpers or rockers, not as many misbadged but they are out there.
Maybe you just didn't notice some of those ZL1s were not actual ZL1s.

Instead let's talk about how many Mustangs out there say GT, Shelby, Cobra and 5.0L and have single exhaust tips (;
Yeah people with 1LS's trying to clone ZL1's.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #120
dookie454

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
When I first bought mine I thought it felt like a total dog compared to the CTS-V I had traded...but when I looked at data it was actually faster. No one that rides in my car now would ever say it feels slow but when it was stock it was deceptively drama free at speeds that you couldn't match in other cars.
There is something about these cars that makes them feel slow... I think it's all the rubber isolation GM put in the drivetrain... And all the sound deadening... It's so smooth, and I can't tell when tires are just breaking loose.

My 96TA 580rwhp felt 2x faster, but it's just as fast as my 2010ss whipped.

Also the CTS-V we had for a week felt faster than the whipped SS.. But it wasn't.

Might be the heavy flywheel the use... I dunno.
dookie454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:42 PM   #121
DP Valentino

Drives: 2010 CGM Chevrolet Camaro LS
Quote:
How should I drive it. Its an automatic you push the pedal to the floor it should go fast. Teach me...

DP Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #122
jalloor

Drives: 2014 black zl1
Actually guys! I'm going through the same problem here. My Z does not want to run fast at the strip. I have done everything I can. I have a LIngelfelter stage 2 and I'm still running 12.4 @ 116.
I have to hear crap from my friends every time I go to work. The only thing she is good for is roll races. I spanked my friends c6 z06 by 4 cars the other day. I could not believe it. The car dynoed 457 or so stock and gained 100hp from the new setup.

Launch control causes serious wheel hoop I have to let off. I don't know what else to do.
But nevertheless I love the way it handles and looks. Complements everywhere I go. I just wish she gave me just one 11 second time. My friend is holding the faster quarter mile time at work with his c63AMG running 12.0 @ 118. I can't seem to touch that but I do beat him pretty bad on the streets. Probably around 5 cars or so. I run my car on pretty cool day too but no luck.

Hitting the gas off the line is all I can do to run that time after doing a burn out. I will buy an OBD scanner to see what my iat 2 is reading just like everyone else is doing. Heck I'm even scared to buy tires for fear I do not run a faster time. That is more stuff for my friends to pick on. I'm guessing it is probably heat soak like some of you are suggesting but until I buy the scanner I would not know. I actually have let the car sit for a while at the staging lane and still had no luck. Also tried Pulling the fuse and only gained 8hp, so I don't know what else.

Like I said earlier I love my Z, I just wished she gave me that 11s time slip.
jalloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #123
JackalopeZL1

116 should a little better than 12.4 but still should be higher than 116 with 100 extra HP..What were your 60'? What was your DA? Elevation?

From the stock HP numbers I assume it is a auto.. Here is one of my Best bone stock Time slips.. Not sure what the DA was but I know it was good, Nice cool night in november Elevation of less than 200'
Attached Images

Last edited by JackalopeZL1; 09-02-2014 at 09:47 AM.
JackalopeZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #124
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalloor View Post
Actually guys! I'm going through the same problem here. My Z does not want to run fast at the strip. I have done everything I can. I have a LIngelfelter stage 2 and I'm still running 12.4 @ 116.
I have to hear crap from my friends every time I go to work. The only thing she is good for is roll races. I spanked my friends c6 z06 by 4 cars the other day. I could not believe it. The car dynoed 457 or so stock and gained 100hp from the new setup.

Launch control causes serious wheel hoop I have to let off. I don't know what else to do.
But nevertheless I love the way it handles and looks. Complements everywhere I go. I just wish she gave me just one 11 second time. My friend is holding the faster quarter mile time at work with his c63AMG running 12.0 @ 118. I can't seem to touch that but I do beat him pretty bad on the streets. Probably around 5 cars or so. I run my car on pretty cool day too but no luck.

Hitting the gas off the line is all I can do to run that time after doing a burn out. I will buy an OBD scanner to see what my iat 2 is reading just like everyone else is doing. Heck I'm even scared to buy tires for fear I do not run a faster time. That is more stuff for my friends to pick on. I'm guessing it is probably heat soak like some of you are suggesting but until I buy the scanner I would not know. I actually have let the car sit for a while at the staging lane and still had no luck. Also tried Pulling the fuse and only gained 8hp, so I don't know what else.

Like I said earlier I love my Z, I just wished she gave me that 11s time slip.
You need the solid subframe bushings and that will completely eliminate the wheel hop. ADM sells them so do a lot of other vendors, don't let them try to sell you a complete suspension, solid isolators is all it takes to stop the wheel hop.

My car runs over a second faster on drag radials, no spin at all, complete hook. I would buy a set if you want to launch it better. Once you get the power to the ground then I would start to worry about intake temps.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #125
JackalopeZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
You need the solid subframe bushings and that will completely eliminate the wheel hop. ADM sells them so do a lot of other vendors, don't let them try to sell you a complete suspension, solid isolators is all it takes to stop the wheel hop.

My car runs over a second faster on drag radials, no spin at all, complete hook. I would buy a set if you want to launch it better. Once you get the power to the ground then I would start to worry about intake temps.

Just curious what drag radials you are running? What is your set up?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #126
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackalopeZL1 View Post
Just curious what drag radials you are running? What is your set up?
We recommend the Nitto 315s on the ZL-1 wheels.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote