Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 08-16-2023, 06:03 AM   #1
Camaro23423455

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Help Unhooking The Automatic Shift Cable (2017)

I am trying to remove this shift cable to replace the assembly (Shift To Park warning). I see for other cars you just pull the end of the cable towards the driver door and it pops off but is it the same for this car (17 Camaro; Auto trans). Anyone have instructions? Thanks!
Attached Images

Camaro23423455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 01:23 PM   #2
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Sorry never needed to do this yet so I can’t chime up but if you do figure it out, please let us know what the trick is. Maybe it’s a press fit and it’s just brute Force, can’t say one way or the other.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 01:30 PM   #3
Camaro23423455

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Sorry never needed to do this yet so I can’t chime up but if you do figure it out, please let us know what the trick is. Maybe it’s a press fit and it’s just brute Force, can’t say one way or the other.
Like everything else, you just get mad and pull it hard and it comes off (clips). I have seen videos from other Chevys where they just jam a screw driver behind it and pop it off but mine seems more secure and I do not want to buy a new cable. Thanks. I'll post later.
Old 08-16-2023, 07:11 PM   #4
Camaro23423455

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Update: Brute force always wins. It just pops off. Pull towards the driver side door. TY.

Now I will replace the assembly, test and put everything back to address the "Shift to Park" defect of the current shifter assembly.

If anyone is doing the same thing, DM me if you have any questions.

Summary:
1) Remove rear lower console screws under cap (in back near bottom of seat backs).
2) Pull off side knee guards, pull up, no tools needed.

3) Remove 4 screws holding from of lower console (near center AC vents)
4) Unclip the leather boot bottom by pulling up on it. (one piece separate from the painted metal trim around boot)

5) disconnect the leather boot top by moving the side clips out and pull down
6) Pull up on shift knob to remove (no clips). Use force but dont slam it into the screen.

7) Lift center console and move leather boot with frame in center console hole to allow you to remove lower console.

8) Unclip shift cable on driver side by pulling towards the drivers door. Just a pry tool or large flat screw driver is enough.

9) Unclip wiring hardness from Shift Assembly (4 pins, back of unit)

10) Replace assembly (New from GM $125+harness $7) and add additional harness as per TSB 21-NA-245.
11) Test by shifting to confirm ifs fixed and no message appears (engage parking brake, then hold start button without touching main brake pedal for 10 secs). Then you can do a test shift without moving the car.
12) If ok, reassemble parts.
13) Curse GM that they dont sell a $2 switch in the assembly to fix this issue.

GL.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2023, 07:40 AM   #5
Ricks2019

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro Rs v6
Camaro23423455,

Thanks for the helpful information and the step by step procedure, I'm going through the same problem right now. My 2019 V6 automatic is no longer under warranty so your instructions are very helpful.

I just have one question: What is the 85102841 harness mentioned in the TSB 21-NA-245) used for and do you really need it? (actually 2 questions)

Thanks again for any help with this,

Rick
Ricks2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 07:53 AM   #6
Camaro23423455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks2019 View Post
Camaro23423455,

Thanks for the helpful information and the step by step procedure, I'm going through the same problem right now. My 2019 V6 automatic is no longer under warranty so your instructions are very helpful.

I just have one question: What is the 85102841 harness mentioned in the TSB 21-NA-245) used for and do you really need it?

Thanks again for any help with this,

Rick

Im glad it was helpful.

Its part of the TSB and its $12? so if they think its important enough to add it, why not. The old harness plugs into it and the new one plugs into the port so its easy. Its 3 inches, roughly.

Also note my issue was resolved and has not returned after 2 months. If you dont fix it, the car will display the warning and not go to sleep so your battery may be drained in the morning. To fix it temporarily, press the button on the shifter several times until its starts working.
Old 10-06-2023, 08:00 AM   #7
Ricks2019

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro Rs v6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro23423455 View Post
Im glad it was helpful.

Its part of the TSB and its $12? so if they think its important enough to add it, why not. The old harness plugs into it and the new one plugs into the port so its easy. Its 3 inches, roughly.

Also note my issue was resolved and has not returned after 2 months. If you dont fix it, the car will display the warning and not go to sleep so your battery may be drained in the morning. To fix it temporarily, press the button on the shifter several times until its starts working.
Thank again!

I'll be buying the harness and take care of it this weekend.
i'm getting tired of playing with the button on the shifter.
Ricks2019 is offline   Reply With Quote