Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #1
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Thumbs up ZL1 1LE - Taking Delivery next week - Thoughts/Comments/Suggestions?

I am taking delivery of a New 2018 ZL1 1LE next week.

That being said, is there anything from a 'Prep' standpoint I should be asking from the dealer?

Any further inspections required?

I hope to active on this forum and share my thoughts, insights and knowledge from this ownership.

I am switching from a C7 Z06 so there will be a little learning curve associated to this.

I am a track rat and not a waxer. The intention with the ZL1 1LE is to hit tracks actively and not let it go to waste.
Checkmate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
fosterelli

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Welcome! Exciting times ahead for you! Check the tires for winter weather cracks, someone had them due to freezing temps on these R compound tires.

I had our dealer not touch ours...not even wash it. The dealership detailers have swirl-marked my brand new cars too many times so I don't let them come close to it. They love buffing and burning.

There are a few bits that get installed in the front bottom (air directional plastic parts) and rear LCA covers during PDI.

Make sure they don't try to install a front license plate bracket (unless you like that).

I also told them they better not put a dealership logo/sticker/decal/emblem on my car.

My dealer was kind enough to even leave all of the plastic on the seats, interior parts, etc.

Post up the pics when you get her...and get ready for a whole lot of love from people in random places.
fosterelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
SWZL11LE

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
There isn't much to ask if they are a competent dealer. But there has been some discussion of a few cars not having the proper finish on the side skirts. Double check that, some cars came with the incorrect gloss finish, while they were supposed to be matte.

As far as inspecting your new car goes, double check the front splitter, it is very low and can have some damage underneath from the car being transported.

Other than that, enjoy your new ride!
SWZL11LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #4
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Did you buy from Criswell in Gaithersburg?
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #5
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWZL11LE View Post
There isn't much to ask if they are a competent dealer. But there has been some discussion of a few cars not having the proper finish on the side skirts. Double check that, some cars came with the incorrect gloss finish, while they were supposed to be matte.
FYI I did some research on this myself because I was looking at a car that had the incorrect gloss rockers.

Turns out it was only 2019's, and only the first like 92 cars off the line, so it's a pretty rare issue and all the 2018's were good.
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
wnyzl11le

Drives: 2019 zl1 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterelli View Post
Welcome! Exciting times ahead for you! Check the tires for winter weather cracks, someone had them due to freezing temps on these R compound tires.

I had our dealer not touch ours...not even wash it. The dealership detailers have swirl-marked my brand new cars too many times so I don't let them come close to it. They love buffing and burning.

There are a few bits that get installed in the front bottom (air directional plastic parts) and rear LCA covers during PDI.

Make sure they don't try to install a front license plate bracket (unless you like that).

I also told them they better not put a dealership logo/sticker/decal/emblem on my car.

My dealer was kind enough to even leave all of the plastic on the seats, interior parts, etc.

Post up the pics when you get her...and get ready for a whole lot of love from people in random places.
I told my dealer not to PDI the car so they didn't ever drill out the wholes in the back for the license plate. Can you help me understand what you are talking about when you say "There are a few bits that get installed in the front bottom (air directional plastic parts) and rear LCA covers during PDI. "

Thank you.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #7
Jimabe

Drives: 2018 Red ZL1
A small one, but have them check (and take out) the front shipping spring spacers. They are orange. I bought my Z from a dealer that sells a lot of them and they still forgot to take them out. I drove it for about 500 miles before i noticed them. Make sure you have them when driving off the lot. If they are out they usually put them in the trunk.
Jimabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
I tell them no washing. I’ll wash it.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimabe View Post
A small one, but have them check (and take out) the front shipping spring spacers. They are orange. I bought my Z from a dealer that sells a lot of them and they still forgot to take them out. I drove it for about 500 miles before i noticed them. Make sure you have them when driving off the lot. If they are out they usually put them in the trunk.
This is a 1LE... different springs and no spacers. This car couldn't get any stiffer.

to the OP. Here's a pic of the small wind deflector. Just a couple of screws to install.

Like Urban Legend said... just tell them not to wash it.

Then get some DOT4 brake fluid before you track it.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 232
Size:  57.2 KB
Old 02-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #10
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I'm guessing you shopped at Criswell, they are pretty well trusted with the Camaros and Vettes. With that said you should let them do the PDI, all except for the license plates and tell them not to wash it either. As others have stated the only other stuff that really needs to be installed is the little air deflectors under the splitter.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #11
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
I tell them to deliver it to me nice and shiny. Lets face it, being anal about a car delivery is more than likely wasted effort. Lets be honest, 95% of the people that buy a ZL1 1LE or any high end GM or Ford sports car are not going to keep it forever. So the small microscopic clear coat scratches are going to be someone else's problem in 4 months to 2 years more than likely. The anal oil changes that people do before the car has 500 miles on it, if it helps at all, will more than likely help the 4th, 5th or 6th owner many years down the road, NOT the anal first owner that over spent on oil changes.

The $4k+ dollar ceramic coating and PPF that people install bring $0 in resale, but the next 2 or 3 owners might get some use out of it. But I doubt they will even call you to thank you.

I say relax, and take delivery of a properly cleaned/prepared car and drive it as much as you can, while you have it. Make sure they dont put the front tag on it, because that can leave damage that is costly to repair. The rest of the stuff is minor, and really not to be fret about.

FYI, my Chevy mechanic which is the highest level tech you can be at a Chevy dealer, says that this car does not need an oil change at 500 miles. He said follow the normal scheduled maintenance of 3000 to 5000 miles for the first oil change, unless you track the car primarily.

Thats my $.02.

/ / Katech TB // RotoFab Dry // Borla 60606 // ATI Super Damper / /
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:57 PM   #12
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE Red Dragon View Post
I tell them to deliver it to me nice and shiny. Lets face it, being anal about a car delivery is more than likely wasted effort. Lets be honest, 95% of the people that buy a ZL1 1LE or any high end GM or Ford sports car are not going to keep it forever. So the small microscopic clear coat scratches are going to be someone else's problem in 4 months to 2 years more than likely. The anal oil changes that people do before the car has 500 miles on it, if it helps at all, will more than likely help the 4th, 5th or 6th owner many years down the road, NOT the anal first owner that over spent on oil changes.

The $4k+ dollar ceramic coating and PPF that people install bring $0 in resale, but the next 2 or 3 owners might get some use out of it. But I doubt they will even call you to thank you.

I say relax, and take delivery of a properly cleaned/prepared car and drive it as much as you can, while you have it. Make sure they dont put the front tag on it, because that can leave damage that is costly to repair. The rest of the stuff is minor, and really not to be fret about.

FYI, my Chevy mechanic which is the highest level tech you can be at a Chevy dealer, says that this car does not need an oil change at 500 miles. He said follow the normal scheduled maintenance of 3000 to 5000 miles for the first oil change, unless you track the car primarily.

Thats my $.02.
I was following your thinking and then you got anal with the license plate hole. So there it is folks.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #13
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I was following your thinking and then you got anal with the license plate hole. So there it is folks.
You got me... Good catch... I'm guilty..

/ / Katech TB // RotoFab Dry // Borla 60606 // ATI Super Damper / /
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote