Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 02-22-2019, 11:04 AM   #15
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I think the grid only covers the back half of the seat cushion.
Size of the grid, wattage of the grid, and how deep it is buried in the foam all contribute to the perception of effectiveness.
Still, would not want to be without this gadgetry!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #16
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Interesting comment Juiced. In the Silverado, you could program it so that when you remote start the truck and it is below 40F, the drivers seat heat would automatically come on.

My 2019 Ram 1500 also does that. Wonder why the camaro doesn't?

My 2018 ZL1 is a 6M, so I don't get remote start.
Our cars do have a setting to enable seat heaters in the cold when using remote start (Vehicle > Comfort and Convenience > Remote Lock, Unlock, Start > Remote Start Auto Heat Seats), plus a similar option for seat coolers in hot weather. I used it and it does work as described in the manual.

The only gotcha is that seat heater/cooler LED's do not illuminate when this is used and the function reverts to "manual mode" upon pressing the engine start button, which is confusing and probably why people think this isn't supported.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:46 PM   #17
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
It would be nice if they turned on when you remote start the car. Maybe GM should put a button on your remote.
mine does this, it's an option for just the driver or both seats.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:08 AM   #18
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Our cars do have a setting to enable seat heaters in the cold when using remote start (Vehicle > Comfort and Convenience > Remote Lock, Unlock, Start > Remote Start Auto Heat Seats), plus a similar option for seat coolers in hot weather. I used it and it does work as described in the manual.

The only gotcha is that seat heater/cooler LED's do not illuminate when this is used and the function reverts to "manual mode" upon pressing the engine start button, which is confusing and probably why people think this isn't supported.
Agreed we have this capability but unless you warm the car for 4 minutes then those seats are not getting warm. I say this in 20 degree weather and in zero degree weather completely forget about it.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:20 AM   #19
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolbreezeNJ View Post
Agreed we have this capability but unless you warm the car for 4 minutes then those seats are not getting warm. I say this in 20 degree weather and in zero degree weather completely forget about it.
I usually let my car warm up for most of the 10 minute idle limit due to me being extremely close to the freeway onramp, both at home and at work. If I don't, then on a cold day, my car isn't up to temp before I hit the freeway. I don't like doing that. Not sure about you guys, but I have cheese heads that live around here that like to get on the freeway doing 35-40.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:31 AM   #20
Zigg L1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red Tintcoat A10
Never used the heated seats since my Z is stored for the winter. But the cooling of the seat work pretty good. But if my ass is in the seat for a while the cooling affect seems to fade. Not sure if it has anything to do with the ac but usually if u have that on ut works better. But i hate ac.
Zigg L1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:38 AM   #21
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigg L1 View Post
Never used the heated seats since my Z is stored for the winter. But the cooling of the seat work pretty good. But if my ass is in the seat for a while the cooling affect seems to fade. Not sure if it has anything to do with the ac but usually if u have that on ut works better. But i hate ac.
they aren't "cooled", just ventilated. the reason it seems to fade is because your seat is warming up due to your own ass-warmth

it makes a difference if you turn the floorboard vents on with ac, then it blows cold ac to under your seat, which in turn gets blown up to you to eliminate the swamp ass effect.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #22
TedJS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I think there is a service bulletin for this - you have to install an electron catch can on the positive battery feed to the heated seat control module. This makes the module run cleaner so the seat can get up to temperature faster. Just have to periodically empty out the bad electrons.

Sure there is a lot of debate on this but it works!!
TedJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:18 AM   #23
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
Wanted to add that my Subaru and 2ss both had/have really slow and weak heated seats. My gf's trail hawk heats up so fast and gets really hot. On hers it ha cloth in the middle where the elements are and the rest of the seat is leather. I'm sure that makes a difference. Probably the same thing with the vented seat, it probably makes the heating element less efficient since it has to have holes in it to be able to pass the air through
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #24
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish72 View Post
Wanted to add that my Subaru and 2ss both had/have really slow and weak heated seats. My gf's trail hawk heats up so fast and gets really hot. On hers it ha cloth in the middle where the elements are and the rest of the seat is leather. I'm sure that makes a difference. Probably the same thing with the vented seat, it probably makes the heating element less efficient since it has to have holes in it to be able to pass the air through
Maybe this is why my ZL1 seats heat up pretty quick, the center of the Recaros isn't leather, it is alcantara. The outer parts of the seats are leather.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:02 PM   #25
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I doubt it's the alternator. Actually if you monitor the voltage gauge you will see that the alternator is actually only employed about 60% of the time, the rest of the time the car is running directly off the battery. If they are so powerful as to activate and recharge the battery while they are not being used half the drive, they are definitely pretty stout alternators.

Issue is likely the heated seat mechanism. I use mine too but it's fairly rare that it gets cold enough that I use them. I have no complaints about them so far. In NJ and coming out of a car that had faster heated seats though I can see that being an issue.

I'm guessing you have an M6? I have an A8 and when I leave my car the night before I turn the temperature and fan all the way up just before I turn it off. Then in the morning I remote start it 5 minutes before I leave. When I come out for it, its typically very warm inside.
Most modern cars regulate voltage use much better. The battery really not used to run the car, outside the circuit loop during normal operation. The voltage is regulated so what you see when the charging gauge is lower than 14v is the actual consumer consumption. The battery is the starting and aux reserve and the alternator is the operating component.

Otherwise you would quickly deplete batteries through constant drain and charge. Remember your car, alternator and battery have no idea how long your operating cycles are and cannot project charging based on a battery drawdown. Hybrid and EV's manage power differently but for our regular vehicles it's the same as it ever was - with the inclusion of enhanced voltage consumer distribution via the charging system.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:54 AM   #26
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
they aren't "cooled", just ventilated. the reason it seems to fade is because your seat is warming up due to your own ass-warmth

it makes a difference if you turn the floorboard vents on with ac, then it blows cold ac to under your seat, which in turn gets blown up to you to eliminate the swamp ass effect.
I guess someone had to say this.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:59 AM   #27
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt fe2o3 View Post
Most modern cars regulate voltage use much better. The battery really not used to run the car, outside the circuit loop during normal operation. The voltage is regulated so what you see when the charging gauge is lower than 14v is the actual consumer consumption. The battery is the starting and aux reserve and the alternator is the operating component.

Otherwise you would quickly deplete batteries through constant drain and charge. Remember your car, alternator and battery have no idea how long your operating cycles are and cannot project charging based on a battery drawdown. Hybrid and EV's manage power differently but for our regular vehicles it's the same as it ever was - with the inclusion of enhanced voltage consumer distribution via the charging system.
Interesting.
When I first got my 2017 Silverado I wasn't aware of all this. The first time I saw the V meter drop below 14 to about 12.5 I was in a panic and pulled into a Chevy dealer. The service rep assured me it was all normal operation.

Last edited by Silverado57; 02-24-2019 at 05:24 AM.
Silverado57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:04 AM   #28
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
The seats are "ok"...my BMW will burn your ass hairs off....one thing that sucks IMO is the heated steering wheel, very very weak compared to other cars I've owned.
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote