Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-21-2019, 07:42 AM   #1
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
Poor Heated Seats??

So I have a 2SS and I'm not terribly happy with the heated seats. On average at say 25 degrees it takes about 4-5 minutes for them to warm up. By that time I'm getting heat out of the vents and frankly my seat is warm from my butt by then.

The real comparison though is against my 17 HD Silverado which takes maybe 2 minutes to get to the same temperature. Worse is that my wife's 10 year old Accord takes about the same 4-5 minutes to warm up.

Is this what I should be expecting? Is there programming of the BCM that could be done? Is the alternator on this car good enough? I ask about the alternator as my truck has the snow/plow package on it and it is a 220 Amp alternator.

Let me know and many thanks!!!
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
Move'n Up

Drives: 17 Z06/Z07, 17 2SS Fifty, Ram 2500
I completely agree, My Ram 2500 gets toasty hot in 1 minute so I have to turn it down a notch. In comparison to another Chevy, my Z06 takes a couple of minutes to get warm but, I wouldn't describe it as ever getting hot.

I think it has to do with the wattage of the seat heaters themselves. The Camaro and Vette are probably on the low side.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:17 AM   #3
dohvb1

Drives: 2018 Hot Wheels Camaro 2SS
I'm not a big fan of heated seats in general and don't use them unless it's really cold, but they same to be the same as my Subaru and VW. I do love the heated steering wheel tho.
dohvb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
They are pretty weak in comparison to other cars I have driven. I do like the heated steering wheel!
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
man0steel

Drives: 2016 2LT vert 2.0 R/S A8
Heated wheel is awesome and almost instantaneous. heated seats lack a lot to be desired. My Nitro and wife's Nissan are really fast to heat up and have to be turned down after a bit. Like has been said before my butt heats the seat faster than the seat itself.
man0steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
CompleteStreet

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 A10
They are a little slower, but I have never like been upset about it.
CompleteStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #7
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
Thanks for the replies. The difference between my Silverado and Camaro seats are night and day and I was assuming same design or manufacturer and maybe it was the alternator that couldn't cut it. Does anybody know the current rating of the 2SS Alternator??

The steering wheel works good, but ( not pun intended) I turn the heater off in the Silverado about at the same time interval as the Camaro starts getting toasty.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolbreezeNJ View Post
Thanks for the replies. The difference between my Silverado and Camaro seats are night and day and I was assuming same design or manufacturer and maybe it was the alternator that couldn't cut it. Does anybody know the current rating of the 2SS Alternator??

The steering wheel works good, but ( not pun intended) I turn the heater off in the Silverado about at the same time interval as the Camaro starts getting toasty.
I doubt it's the alternator. Actually if you monitor the voltage gauge you will see that the alternator is actually only employed about 60% of the time, the rest of the time the car is running directly off the battery. If they are so powerful as to activate and recharge the battery while they are not being used half the drive, they are definitely pretty stout alternators.

Issue is likely the heated seat mechanism. I use mine too but it's fairly rare that it gets cold enough that I use them. I have no complaints about them so far. In NJ and coming out of a car that had faster heated seats though I can see that being an issue.

I'm guessing you have an M6? I have an A8 and when I leave my car the night before I turn the temperature and fan all the way up just before I turn it off. Then in the morning I remote start it 5 minutes before I leave. When I come out for it, its typically very warm inside.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #9
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolbreezeNJ View Post

You are lucky that they fixed it in the 17 Silverado. My pervious truck was a 2014 Silverado LTZ. The heated seats never got warm. But the wheel did.

The heated and cooled Recaros in my ZL1 actually work 10x better than my 2014 silverado did. So, I cannot complain.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:00 AM   #10
Quix

Drives: 2016 2LT V6 Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohvb1 View Post
I'm not a big fan of heated seats in general and don't use them unless it's really cold.
If I lived in NC I'd never use the heated seats.

I haven't had an issue with the heated seats in my car, normally by the time I've cleaned off the snow the entire car is heated up. (including seats). Much better than the Mazda I had previously which took ages to heat up.
Quix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #11
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
I have no complaints with the heated seats. they're usually warm enough to feel them before I hit the main road. I often have to turn them down from 3 to 2 or even 1 on my commute, even on the almost freezing mornings I drive.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #12
SteveV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quix View Post
If I lived in NC I'd never use the heated seats.
So, you don't think it gets into the 20s and teens in NC? When was the last time you visited in January?
Old 02-22-2019, 09:11 AM   #13
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
It would be nice if they turned on when you remote start the car. Maybe GM should put a button on your remote.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #14
SteveV

Interesting comment Juiced. In the Silverado, you could program it so that when you remote start the truck and it is below 40F, the drivers seat heat would automatically come on.

My 2019 Ram 1500 also does that. Wonder why the camaro doesn't?

My 2018 ZL1 is a 6M, so I don't get remote start.