Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-26-2018, 02:11 AM   #1
Miami_1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
How to replace stock tweeters

As the title states, I wanted to see how I can get to the stock tweeters in my 2018 SS 1LE. I have some new tweeters that I am going to be replacing my stock ones with but don't know how to remove the dash or access the stock tweeters. I will be using the oem tweeter location. The car is a 1LE so I don't have an amp. Basic 6 speaker system. Any advise helps me out a lot. Complete overhaul of sound system will be posted soon.
JL Audio 750/1 amp
JL Audio Slash 300/4v3 amp
STEG ST650C components up front
JL Audio 12W7 sub ported
JL Audio FIX-86 Digital sound processor

Thanks again guys. This is my first post.
Miami_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
I'd like to tell you that it's relatively easy but, then I'd be lying. It's not difficult because of all the steps needed to remove them. That's actually the easy part. Pull off the pillars. Yes, just pull them off. No screws involved there, just clips. Once you get those off, you'll see exactly what needs to be unscrewed. The trouble is unscrewing it. The passenger side is a bit easier to manage but, unless you have a right angle screwdriver capable of working in such tight conditions, you're going to be fighting and swearing up a storm. The driver's side is horrible because of the dash molding being in your arm path. It was a very frustrating task. I didn't even replace the tweeters. I just wanted to disconnect them because I bought 2-way speakers for the doors and didn't want to cut wires going to the tweets. I should have just found them and cut them. Would have been easier. Good luck.
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
Miami_1LE

Thanks. Ill get onto doing this today. Ill probably use my ratchet wrench with a 6mm and Phillips head to get to those screws.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:36 AM   #4
flcusat

Drives: 2018 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_1LE View Post
Thanks. Ill get onto doing this today. Ill probably use my ratchet wrench with a 6mm and Phillips head to get to those screws.
How did this go?
Did you find the spot where the wiring to the doors and tweeters split?
flcusat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:40 AM   #5
Miami_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by flcusat View Post
How did this go?
Did you find the spot where the wiring to the doors and tweeters split?
Everything went well. Not too difficult. I made plastic brackes to fit the new tweeters. The install looks like it came factory like that. I'm very happy.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:12 AM   #6
flcusat

Drives: 2018 1LT
flcusat

Quote:
Everything went well. Not too difficult. I made plastic brackes to fit the new tweeters. The install looks like it came factory like that. I'm very happy.
How about where the wiring splits or you ran new wires?
flcusat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:43 AM   #7
Ssvertlife

Drives: 2017 Silver SS Convertible
Did u run new wiring for the tweeters?

Quote:
Ssvertlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:43 PM   #8
Noize

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE
I’ve been looking for a video for this online, but I’ve been unable to find one. Sorry for the Necro bump, but it’s a valid question still.
Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:07 AM   #9
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
5 star car audio has a full install video on a gen 6. They install tweeters in the factory location. They cut the stock tweeters out of the brackets and use them to mount the new ones
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:47 AM   #10
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr8000 View Post
5 star car audio has a full install video on a gen 6. They install tweeters in the factory location. They cut the stock tweeters out of the brackets and use them to mount the new ones
This is that video: Is that a 2017 Camaro in for a new stereo, why yes it is!! Installer Diaries 56. They don't show you very clearly how to pull off the A-pillar trim, though.

Here's another video that shows this, but with a big caveat: How to Install speakers, take apart interior, amp kit in 6th gen Camaro with OEM radio. The caveat: DO NOT CUT THE BUNGEE CORDS LIKE HE DOES!!! That bungee is there to keep the trim piece from becoming a projectile if your air bag goes off. For obvious reasons, that is important.
There's a clip to pry open so you can slip the bungee connection off and remove the A-pillar trim piece completely. The Five Start video sort of discusses it, but you can't really see what they're showing you very well. This is a picture of the clip:
Name:  A-Pillar airbag bungee clip.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  145.2 KB
The open end is facing down the pillar toward the dash, and you need to pry it open a bit and then slide the clip up toward the roof. It takes some muscle.

This video shows pretty well how the trim piece is popped off its clips, though. My advice here is to be really careful not to pull them too far off when they break loose, or else you'll pull apart the little microphone in the pillar that you need for voice commands and hands-free calls. Ask my how I know. Luckily, they are cheap to replace.

This video also gives a good sense of the one tough screw on the driver's side tweeter. It's the one closest to the windshield. But honestly, you just need a 7mm combination wrench and some patience. You just turn it 1/8-1/4 turn at a time, and in a minute or two you'll have it out. This is not one of the harder fasteners I've ever had to deal with. The other screw on this tweeter and the two on the passenger tweeter are not hard. A 1/4"-drive ratchet and shallow 7mm socket work fine.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:26 PM   #11
Noize

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE
Thanks guys!!!
Noize is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tweeter removal