Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 03-15-2017, 09:19 PM   #29
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Drives: 1Lap1LE | EV6 FE | 18 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa406079 View Post
I hope you guys aren't tracking your cars ... because they will not handle as well as stock since these are lowering springs for the softer SS suspension and are no longer matched to your 1LE shocks....
"you guys" - I'm the only one that did it - As I was willing to be the guinea pig.

And going in, I knew there was the possibility of the 1LE springs being stiffer than even aftermarket ones, but since the 1LE springs rates were not published (and to this day, still aren't) - It was obviously a leap of faith.

However I will say that saying someone cant track their car with softer springs is like saying you can't track your car because you wen't from R-Comp tires to one step down tires... You definitely can, however you have to drive within the new limits of the car. So your statement is not only obvious but a little short-sighted.

As I said before... time will tell with these cars.
'22 Kia EV6 First Edition
'18 RS3 (1 of 2) Cumulus Blue
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
'19 RS5 Sportback Sonoma Green | '07 Cayman S 6MT | '16 Audi S3 Prestige Viper Green (APR Stage 3+) | '19 Mustang Shelby GT350R | '17 SS 1LE MBM 575whp all-motor
RideZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:45 AM   #30
1LE caSSper

Drives: White 1LE
Very good!
1LE caSSper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:16 AM   #31
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
I hope you guys aren't tracking your cars ... because they will not handle as well as stock since these are lowering springs for the softer SS suspension and are no longer matched to your 1LE shocks....
Ehh yes and no. In theory, the lowering of cg may impact the camber curve and roll center but the lowering here seems really minimal. Then you go into the spring rate difference and while the factory springs are stiffer, I can assure you it's not hundreds of lbs difference in rate. So you're left at what the wheelrate difference really is and that we don't know yet. I'd speculate that for this small change, the driver will still be the largest variance around a race track. More than likely, the car will just be a little overdamped on Track mode.

Dropping the springs off at the shop today for testing. They're backed up due to race season so I'll see if they can speed the testing up.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:28 AM   #32
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
The SS and SS 1LE have the same MRC dampers...they just have different calibrations.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #33
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
The SS and SS 1LE have the same MRC dampers...they just have different calibrations.
I think he was referring to the spring rates not the dampers.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #34
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I think he was referring to the spring rates not the dampers.
He did say "shocks", so who knows lol...
Old 03-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #35
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Dropping the springs off at the shop today for testing. They're backed up due to race season so I'll see if they can speed the testing up.
Let's hope so - That info might be the most useful to the community will get in a little while.
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
'19 RS5 Sportback Sonoma Green | '07 Cayman S 6MT | '16 Audi S3 Prestige Viper Green (APR Stage 3+) | '19 Mustang Shelby GT350R | '17 SS 1LE MBM 575whp all-motor
Old 03-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #36
F1FTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideZX6R View Post
Let's hope so - That info might be the most useful to the community will get in a little while.
Dropped off at lunch. Could be a couple weeks according to RRT due to how busy they are right before race season. I'll call them back next week to check status. Hurry up and wait, guys. My apologies.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:04 PM   #37
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Dropped off at lunch. Could be a couple weeks according to RRT due to how busy they are right before race season. I'll call them back next week to check status. Hurry up and wait, guys. My apologies.
At least you're getting this done - Which is more than any other 1LE owner's have.

In other news, put some miles on the car today with the fiancee, it feels great in tour... More GT car than race car... but if you want race car, just put it in Sport and it feels like it did on stock springs.
I just wish the front fender gap was a little lessened.

I think the perfect spring for a 1LE is basically the stock spring rate or like 5% softer at max, and drops 1in all around....
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
Old 03-23-2017, 04:27 PM   #38
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Posting an update here to say that F1FTY has posted in another thread with the update that RRT will be testing the springs early next week and he will provide their findings shortly after
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
Old 03-23-2017, 06:22 PM   #39
DjsBadger

Drives: Krypton Green Camaro SS 1LE
I don't understand why people buy this car, which numerous tests have shown to have world class handling, and the first change they make is to tires and suspensions. Probably 99.999% of these changes are reducing the capability of these cars. The GM engineers and drivers are pros, seat of the pants be damned, you are not making your cars handle better the overwhelming majority of the time.
DjsBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:49 PM   #40
nate.the.great

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjsBadger View Post
I don't understand why people buy this car, which numerous tests have shown to have world class handling, and the first change they make is to tires and suspensions. Probably 99.999% of these changes are reducing the capability of these cars. The GM engineers and drivers are pros, seat of the pants be damned, you are not making your cars handle better the overwhelming majority of the time.
I'm pretty sure these guys know they aren't making the car perform better, they are customizing the car to fit their needs. I don't see any problem with that. If an owner wants the car a little lower for aesthetics and a little softer for comfort, who cares?
nate.the.great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #41
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Throw me in the crazy category because I'm putting a supercharger on mine! Then again then engineers are doing the same too. You can always improve on a car. Even if it's just your perception... But then again it's your car!
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:51 PM   #42
F1FTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjsBadger View Post
I see the same type of thinking in the Porsche world. People are very strict that the car stays OEM parts only, because German Engineers.

At the end of the day, say you wanted to keep the car 110% OEM. What would you get out of doing that?

1. Warranty
2. Reliability
3. Easier to sell used/trade-in
4. Cheaper

If a person doesn't care about 1, determines the risk of 2 isn't that great, has no plans to do 3 anytime soon, then that only leaves 4....and for most, this is a hobby that they're ok with spending disposable income on.

The other factor could be longterm collectibility for purposes of hoping values would go up on a pristine 1LE once it reaches the classic car market, but...you'd be better served speculating in some index funds.

As far as performance...let's be honest about our driving abilities....we're talking about the 99th percentile of drivers that could maximize the car from the factory....let alone someone that's determining the 0.01g of traction circle difference from Eibachs.

Also, if 1LE owners head to the track, they shouldn't run OEM brake pads...are upgraded pads a safe change to the world class 1LE?

Camaro = disposable income = spend