Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-09-2019, 05:08 PM   #15
KevlarSS

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro SS
I will post if the 255's fit on the front of a Gen6 with MRC. Unforunately, this is a question that probably can't be answered by a local tire shop. Only a GM mechanic or someone familiar with the Gen6 and MRC suspension would know.
KevlarSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #16
KevlarSS

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro SS
I finally was able to consult the head mechanic of the chevrolet dealership in southern california where I bring my car. He has worked on my car and works on camaros all day long. To my surprise and dismay he strongly advised against the tire size upgrade. My SS is a 2017 auto-tran with MRC, he said because of the MRC and auto-tran it would be problematic. He said the 255's would definitley rub in the front and damage the car and tho the 285's would most likely be OK if you're driving in a straight line and hook slightly better, taking a sharp turn would most likely activate the Traction Control Warning Sensor and then it never turns off. He pointed out that maybe in the older camaros or ones without MRC it might work, but the risk was not worth the reward or damaging the sensors associated with the MRC system. I really wanted to go with the bigger tires mostly for the aesthetics, but not at the price of ruining my car. I am still going with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S over the stock Goodyear F1 A3 runflats, just keeping them the same 245's in the front, 275's in the back.
KevlarSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:29 PM   #17
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Thanks for the info Kevlar SS! I figured that the 255s would cause a problem but so far and knock on wood, the 285s on the back of my SS haven’t caused any problems. They aren’t that much bigger than the 275s and seem to be okay to use. You will enjoy those Michelin tires over the GY runflats. Just make sure to carry an inflator with you in the car. I bought one at Wallyworld and put it in the trunk just in case I have a flat.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:14 AM   #18
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
I went with the 245/40 front and 275/35 rear PS4S on the stock SS wheels. As far as these tires being non-runflat, I ended up buying a kit from Modern Spare that has a spare tire, jack, etc all in one package. It does take up some of the space in the trunk, since the car was not designed to carry a spare tire.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:25 PM   #19
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Cooper Rs3?
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:56 PM   #20
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
Well, not to question your mechanic but again...after 30 hours on a road course my non MRC SS has had zero traction control, stability control, ect issues wearing 255's in the front and 285's on the rear. It doesnt have any issues with 285's on the front and 305's on the back...or the skinny snow tires that are on it now. Just pointing out that these cars are more resilient when it comes to tire sizing than your tech led you to believe.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote