Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-24-2019, 06:23 PM   #1
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Question for thoes who have tuned their TCM

So I got a completely new TCM unlocked from HP tuners. When I installed it and did the replace TCM function in the scanner, it gave me the message that it could not read the TCM all the way, and I could try doing the replace TCM function again if I had problems. When I tried to read the TCM it says it is not readable, which I'm not sure if the 2017s are readable or not, even with the HP tuners unlock modification?

So it appears everything works correctly, the problem is it looks like I am missing a lot of parameters in the file compared to other operating systems. I am missing the whole tab where all the adaptive parameters and a lot of other parameters.

I guess I could try a full flash to a different operating system that has all the other parameters, but I am kind of scared to do it. I submitted a HP Tuners ticket and said there was nothing wrong, and I would have to send my TCM back in.

I'm using T87A os: 24286913
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #2
cmitchell17

So I realized I have messed up, I was actually looking at a TCM for a 6L80 that's why I was seeing the extra parameters, hopefully we can eventually get the same for the 8l90. I'm still curious what others have done for the TCM tune and improving their times?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #3
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
So I realized I have messed up, I was actually looking at a TCM for a 6L80 that's why I was seeing the extra parameters, hopefully we can eventually get the same for the 8l90. I'm still curious what others have done for the TCM tune and improving their times?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
TCM is tough I have learned that alot of tuners have different opinions of what you should and should not do.. There is no black and white answers I have found. 1 thing people tend to agree on across the board is to 0 out your TCC slip tables. Some are disabling Torque Management Some arent.

I know Pray Performance is having alot of success with the parameters hes been changing on his tuned cars but of course this is one of his things you wont find the details out there on. And you have to respect that he has spent alot of time on it I am sure.

I felt like I finally was getting mine dialed in and then I had to go and install a high stall converter and feel like I am back to square 1.

Its a learning curve thats for sure.

Sorry I know that is not the information you are looking for but I have been looking as well and its just not really out there for the 8l90 lots of info to be had for the previous gen TCM's though.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #4
18ss376

Drives: Camaro
Great info, I was wondering the same thing. I just have my ECM unlocked & all my mods with a custom tune with my MPVI2 with 4 credits. I am hesitant to buy the other 4 credits to have the TCM unlocked & tuned, I sure don't want to install a torque converter especilly if that is where most of the extra power is. What I'd like to know is a stock TCM vs a tuned TCM is worth h.p. wise in the 1/4 mile.
18ss376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #5
DapperDan

Drives: 2017 1SS A8 Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18ss376 View Post
Great info, I was wondering the same thing. I just have my ECM unlocked & all my mods with a custom tune with my MPVI2 with 4 credits. I am hesitant to buy the other 4 credits to have the TCM unlocked & tuned, I sure don't want to install a torque converter especilly if that is where most of the extra power is. What I'd like to know is a stock TCM vs a tuned TCM is worth h.p. wise in the 1/4 mile.
The fast guys say the trans tune is worth 3 to 4 tenths in the 1/4 mile
Old 02-25-2019, 05:58 PM   #6
cmitchell17

So I have actually had another problem come up with my "unlocked TCM" and HP tuners is unwilling to help. A couple weeks ago my check engine light came on for P27A7, which is the TCM is "Transmission Control Solenoid Valve 1 Calibration Incorrect".

Now what gets me is how would the control software in the TCM ever know with confidence that it had the wrong flow data for the solenoid. I guess based upon feedback it could tell if things weren't right or meeting commanded shift times, but that could also be for a lot of other reasons.

Now I would assume HP tuners, programs in the solenoid calibration data for all unlocked TCMs, but they won't help me and just say I will have to take my car to the dealer, and of course the dealer won't help unless its part of a by the book GM process. Anyone else with a unlocked TCM (bought a complete unlocked TCM, not had the original stock one unlocked), have problems with missing/incorrect solenoid flow data codes?
Old 02-25-2019, 06:01 PM   #7
cmitchell17

I am thinking I will have to send in my original TCM to be unlocked, then have to pay for additional licenses to fix this. Then try to sell my unlocked TCM and hopefully someone else can flash it to their VIN?

I'm not sure this will even work, as I don't understand how the global A security works and if it will even let my original stock TCM work back in my car. So if anyone knows and wants to buy my "unlocked TCM" let me know. Maybe if I make a post on the HP tuners forum warning people that you will have a permanent, non-clearable, check engine light, if you buy a unlocked TCM, they would be more willing to help me haha
Old 02-26-2019, 09:41 AM   #8
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
I might be able to help you, but Im a bit confused by your posts as to what is actually going on.
You bought an unlocked TCM from HPT, not sent yours in to be unlocked?

Once installed, the individual characteristic data of your solenoids was in-correct?
HPT says what about your problem exactly? You sent your VIN# in with the unlock service right? I'm not sure HPT can pull individual solenoid characteristics from GM's cloud repository. Perhaps they can.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:56 PM   #9
cmitchell17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
I might be able to help you, but Im a bit confused by your posts as to what is actually going on.
You bought an unlocked TCM from HPT, not sent yours in to be unlocked?

Once installed, the individual characteristic data of your solenoids was in-correct?
HPT says what about your problem exactly? You sent your VIN# in with the unlock service right? I'm not sure HPT can pull individual solenoid characteristics from GM's cloud repository. Perhaps they can.
Yes that's right, so I purchased a completely new TCM from HPT and provided them my VIN, now i'm not entirely sure if when they program the TCM with my VIN if they load the solenoid calibration data as well?, if they don't then I really can't complain and will have to live with the check engine light, but I would think they do, and HPT support never answered if they do or not, they just said I would have to have a dealer reflash my stock tune back.

Anyway I got the code, which the service manual indicates is for an incorrect solenoid calibration for solenoid #1. If HPT does not program the solenoid calibrations in when they ship out new unlocked TCMs I would assume I would get a code for every solenoid? However, I don't see any way the TCM could figure out with certainty that the calibration was wrong, although I can see where it would set a code if the calibration was never even programmed.

I am curious and interested to know what exactly HPT does when they "unlock" a TCM, and how they get around global A security, especially when it seems they do things interactive with the TIS web service, for example when you have to be connected to their server when you reflash. Anyway, thanks for the help, and I would be willing to sell my unlocked TCM at a discount as long as I know I can send my stock one to HPT, have it unlocked, and reinstall it and everything work correctly. I realize I will have to use more credits to flash the stock TCM also. If in fact they do not calibrate the solenoid data, I think people should be warned before they buy an unlocked one to replace their stock one that they will have to live with the check engine light, its a pending code that can't be cleared and as far as I know you have to have a TIS subscription and GDS tools (big money) to calibrate the solenoid data yourself.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:32 PM   #10
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
You are correct. You have to have a TIS subscription and GDS tools (big money) to calibrate the solenoid data yourself, OR go to the dealer. If HPT doesn't pull that data from the cloud repository via VIN#, their unlocked TCM's are useless. Incorrect #1 solenoid calibration error would make sense, because its the first one affected.

Surely other guys on this forum have bought the unlocked TCM's from HPT and can chime in???

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #11
cmitchell17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
You are correct. You have to have a TIS subscription and GDS tools (big money) to calibrate the solenoid data yourself, OR go to the dealer. If HPT doesn't pull that data from the cloud repository via VIN#, their unlocked TCM's are useless. Incorrect #1 solenoid calibration error would make sense, because its the first one affected.

Surely other guys on this forum have bought the unlocked TCM's from HPT and can chime in???
So I have the VX Diag which is just a Chinese imitation that runs a virtual machine from a Chinese computer to emulate gds 2.0. the problem is there is no getting around not having a TIS subscription so it can't help you for flashing since the calibration is flashed to your TCM from gm servers.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:01 AM   #12
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18ss376 View Post
Tuning the TCM correctly is huge. Its not about power gain, it's about quicker shifts, optimized shift points, and faster shift torque recovery. The stock programming pulls a bunch of torque on the shifts and it takes a x amount of time before the axles see full torque post shift. That is where the gains come from.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:05 PM   #13
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
So I got a completely new TCM unlocked from HP tuners. When I installed it and did the replace TCM function in the scanner, it gave me the message that it could not read the TCM all the way, and I could try doing the replace TCM function again if I had problems. When I tried to read the TCM it says it is not readable, which I'm not sure if the 2017s are readable or not, even with the HP tuners unlock modification?

So it appears everything works correctly, the problem is it looks like I am missing a lot of parameters in the file compared to other operating systems. I am missing the whole tab where all the adaptive parameters and a lot of other parameters.

I guess I could try a full flash to a different operating system that has all the other parameters, but I am kind of scared to do it. I submitted a HP Tuners ticket and said there was nothing wrong, and I would have to send my TCM back in.

I'm using T87A os: 24286913
I’m gonna revive this because I don’t know how this worked out for you. What was your outcome? I recall KB had a similar issue.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564551

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:39 PM   #14
cmitchell17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
I’m gonna revive this because I don’t know how this worked out for you. What was your outcome? I recall KB had a similar issue.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564551
I just ended up turning the code not to report in HP tuners.