Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 02-23-2019, 11:55 PM   #15
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Another tid bit for the OP: steering mode.
A lot of folks here like to set Steering in Touring for best feel. That's the only setting i pick on the Infotainment screen to lock it in regardless what drive modes i select.
The rest i leave in default.

Steering in Touring provides for a nice weighted feel.
If you put it in Track it will feel rather heavy and as a consequence it will rob you of the detail feedback. At least that's what i feel and prefer.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #16
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Steering in Touring provides for a nice weighted feel.
If you put it in Track it will feel rather heavy and as a consequence it will rob you of the detail feedback. At least that's what i feel and prefer.
Maybe I completely don't understand the steering system, but doesn't the heavier feel allow for more road feedback, because less electric assist is being applied to the system?
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #17
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
Maybe I completely don't understand the steering system, but doesn't the heavier feel allow for more road feedback, because less electric assist is being applied to the system?
Good point. I dont understand it fully either.
All i know is that i get better feedback and it is much easier to make corrections vs fighting a heavy wheel.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #18
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Sport 1 is great and "moving up" doesn't necessarily mean faster. Sport 1 will hardly intervene if you are smooth with inputs. The beauty with Sport 1 is that Stabilitrak is still on just in case you don't perform as perfectly as the car expects. It is likely the car is smarter than we are and knows when danger is looming. PTM is amazing and GM did a great job programming it.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #19
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
Not necessarily.

By that I mean that while there probably is some correlation between steering "weight" and "feel", it doesn't have to be a close correlation. "Feel" seems to be at least partly how the driver interprets all the little vibrations originating at the contact patches that travel up the steering system to the steering wheel. Add either mass or more damping into that path, and "feel" tends to diminish, independently of whether the effort required to make the steering happen is decreased. Vibrations and forces are different things.

The one thing that heavier feel might do for you in a positive sense would be where the extra effort required could keep some of any driver twitchiness at the steering wheel from doing much at the wheels that steer. Twitches such as might happen while shifting and the weight or force from the driver's left hand is no longer balanced and he ends up with a little unintended steering input. Perhaps some drivers are naturally "busier" or "more twitchy" at the steering wheel than others.

FWIW, EPAS systems have typically provided less "feel" than good hydraulic systems, which in turn weren't as good as good unpowered steering systems. I'm insisting on saying 'good' because the details matter. Even a non-assisted steering system can be made to feel "heavy" . . . and sacrifice feel in the process. One of my long-ago cars was a bit like that, and I can only make a couple of guesses as to why it was the way it was.

Norm
Old 03-03-2019, 09:52 AM   #20
TrackClub

Nicely articulated Norm!
Old 03-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #21
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
As many have stated, leave it in PTM Sport one for the entire day and not worry about it. Focus on learning the track and the fundamentals.