Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-09-2020, 07:17 AM   #7995
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I personally never been there. It is a bit too far for me. Or at least farther than I am willing to travel. I used to go to Old Bridge/Englishtown Raceway. After some time I kinda lost interest in it.
I’m around the corner from u. Take a ride up in the spring on a Friday night, I’ll likely be heading there a couple times if u chnage ur mind. Just saying if you got a grudge match there’s at least still one spot left safe and legal
Old 12-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #7996
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
I’m around the corner from u. Take a ride up in the spring on a Friday night, I’ll likely be heading there a couple times if u chnage ur mind. Just saying if you got a grudge match there’s at least still one spot left safe and legal
You're in Monmouth County?

And yea I'll probably do that once it gets warmer and after my ZL1 is modded. I wanna see what the MPH will be.

My bike buddies wanna plan a track rental day with the bikes so we'll be doing that this coming Summers also.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:13 AM   #7997
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

Can't say I blame them considering how many people out there lie or "forget" about or don't disclose certain mods they have.

I don't mind bench racing since it's a good way to not get your car impounded and keep yourself out of jail and having no court fees or loss of license or loss of job etc. I remember a certain fella on here kept trying to get me to street race which I declined. He, and a bunch of others, ended up getting removed from here. But anyway, I'll talk shop. But I'm not engaging in some ego driven showy display. There is just too much to lose.

Haha yeah I was always a take it to the track guy and that is probably why it bothered more. Like ok, you say your car is this fast and you have no problems beating anyone bring it on out to the track and enter our racing series and see if you can win some $$$ and none ever showed.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:49 AM   #7998
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Haha yeah I was always a take it to the track guy and that is probably why it bothered more. Like ok, you say your car is this fast and you have no problems beating anyone bring it on out to the track and enter our racing series and see if you can win some $$$ and none ever showed.
I agree.....my buddy just bought a 2016 Hellcat and brags it will run low 11's. I said that pretty good...but you won't run that. in fact I bet him that I will gap him by 3 Walmarts in my fbo stalled...geared and as of Jan 6th cammed 5th gen. I wIil be half track before those all season tires he has get any traction. He's never been to a track...reality is going to hit hard.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:36 AM   #7999
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modernmusclecar View Post
I agree.....my buddy just bought a 2016 Hellcat and brags it will run low 11's. I said that pretty good...but you won't run that. in fact I bet him that I will gap him by 3 Walmarts in my fbo stalled...geared and as of Jan 6th cammed 5th gen. I wIil be half track before those all season tires he has get any traction. He's never been to a track...reality is going to hit hard.
Exactly.. The same way that there are hero runs with cars going faster than they "should", there are even more scrub runs with cars running way less than they "should". I've seen plenty of 6th gen mustangs and Camaros running mid 13s the first time out.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:50 AM   #8000
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

I am personally not really a fan of going to the track. I mean, why should I when there are plenty of people with the same car going there. Does everyone with a ZL1 or SS have to go to the track? And to prove what? That I can do what everyone else with the same car can do? We know the ZL1 is a high 10 sec car at best, low 11 sec car typically, mid 11 sec car on average. Some of us simply want the car for what it is capable of. Now personally, I ran 11.8 and was satisfied and never went back to the track. I did plan to go back and my goal for the next trip was an 11.6. But I found out that there were a bunch of other things I'd prefer to do with my time than go to a track and be around a bunch of dudes talking about cars. Now some people love it and that is cool. Good for them. But what I can do in this car does not make it any less than what it is. I might run a 13 in it. It is still an 11 sec car. Same with the SS. Some dude might go and run a 13. But he still has a fast car. And not for nothing, some of us want the power so we can feel it at partial throttle, WOT on the highway, or other reasons. Basically, a 650 HP supercharged car that I might only be able to run let's say a 12.3 vs a 460 HP Mustang GT that max effort can run a 11.9, well on the freeway those cars will feel completely different. And that is what some people care about. My HC at 766 RWHP and with the crappy tires I put on it (I was planning to turn it in after the lease expired) might run a mid 12 at best. And some yahoo in a GT with DRs might run a 12 flat. But put us on the freeway at 60 MPH and let us both downshift and go WOT and then tell me which car takes off like a freakin maniac psychopath on crack. The HC WILL hands down be the faster car by spades and it wouldn't even be a comparison and anyone who thinks differently is delusional. Again, to each his own. But the Hellcat dude does have a very fast car and whether or not he can extract every single last inch of power from it means nothing. Mine will be at quadruple digits to the rear wheels soon and it might not ever see the track.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:26 AM   #8001
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
BlaqWhole,

Thanks for detailing your POV and approach to how you enjoy your cars. I’m inclined to believe that most people who buy high powered cars approach it the same way. Most probably wouldn’t even know where to find a track.

My personal approach is different. Being an engineer, I’m all about actions and results. Measurable actions approach. Status A is this...I do Action 1 and I except a particular result. Then I measure it. Now I have Status B. And if it doesn’t provide the results I like, it might lead to Action 2 that I will then measure against my new expected results.

That’s why the track matters to me. So for my car, Status A is ATB 1/4mile of 12.6 @ 112; consistent runs in the 12.8 - 13.1 range. Action 1 is that my car is at Vector Motorsports getting a Mamo PTB, Kooks 1-7/8” LTH and E85 tune. My expected results are 1/4 mile in the 11.4 - 11.8 range. Going to the track periodically is how I get to measure whether Action 1 delivers those results.

My other reason for going to the track is I get to run my car full out (at least in a straight line) without risking my license and/or my life. I’ve seen some things in Detroit and I get challenged (usually by Challengers ) on an almost daily basis. Milan Dragway makes it possible for me to wave them off without feeling my nutsack shrivel.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #8002
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
I am personally not really a fan of going to the track. I mean, why should I when there are plenty of people with the same car going there. Does everyone with a ZL1 or SS have to go to the track? And to prove what? That I can do what everyone else with the same car can do? We know the ZL1 is a high 10 sec car at best, low 11 sec car typically, mid 11 sec car on average. Some of us simply want the car for what it is capable of. Now personally, I ran 11.8 and was satisfied and never went back to the track. I did plan to go back and my goal for the next trip was an 11.6. But I found out that there were a bunch of other things I'd prefer to do with my time than go to a track and be around a bunch of dudes talking about cars. Now some people love it and that is cool. Good for them. But what I can do in this car does not make it any less than what it is. I might run a 13 in it. It is still an 11 sec car. Same with the SS. Some dude might go and run a 13. But he still has a fast car. And not for nothing, some of us want the power so we can feel it at partial throttle, WOT on the highway, or other reasons. Basically, a 650 HP supercharged car that I might only be able to run let's say a 12.3 vs a 460 HP Mustang GT that max effort can run a 11.9, well on the freeway those cars will feel completely different. And that is what some people care about. My HC at 766 RWHP and with the crappy tires I put on it (I was planning to turn it in after the lease expired) might run a mid 12 at best. And some yahoo in a GT with DRs might run a 12 flat. But put us on the freeway at 60 MPH and let us both downshift and go WOT and then tell me which car takes off like a freakin maniac psychopath on crack. The HC WILL hands down be the faster car by spades and it wouldn't even be a comparison and anyone who thinks differently is delusional. Again, to each his own. But the Hellcat dude does have a very fast car and whether or not he can extract every single last inch of power from it means nothing. Mine will be at quadruple digits to the rear wheels soon and it might not ever see the track.
Some performance minded people ( i would hope most) are not satisfied having a factory 12.5 sec car and just believing " I have a 12.5 sec car" because that is what the magazine says without actually making a pass down the 1/4 mile. Yes, there are plenty of people when in automotive gatherings quoting a fastest mag ET of 12.4 and thats what there car can do, while that same guy makes multiple tries , multiple times at a track and cannot get the car into the 12's for multiple different reasons. He has a 13 sec car because he doesnt have the knowledge nor the skill to meet or beat an obtainable 1/4 mile ET. No way in hell I would be satisfied with that. Set up and driver skill, even driver mods will get your 12.5 car into the lower 12s and if your good a 12.0. The time slip rules in all bench racing. This formula doesnt pertain to the Demon because Dodges 9.65 was never attainable LOL.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #8003
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Yup. No idea how to where the track is. Could care less. Love the street experience though.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #8004
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Some performance minded people ( i would hope most) are not satisfied having a factory 12.5 sec car and just believing " I have a 12.5 sec car" because that is what the magazine says without actually making a pass down the 1/4 mile. Yes, there are plenty of people when in automotive gatherings quoting a fastest mag ET of 12.4 and thats what there car can do, while that same guy makes multiple tries , multiple times at a track and cannot get the car into the 12's for multiple different reasons. He has a 13 sec car because he doesnt have the knowledge nor the skill to meet or beat an obtainable 1/4 mile ET. No way in hell I would be satisfied with that. Set up and driver skill, even driver mods will get your 12.5 car into the lower 12s and if your good a 12.0. The time slip rules in all bench racing. This formula doesnt pertain to the Demon because Dodges 9.65 was never attainable LOL.
As much as he and I disagree on many things, I'm sort of with BlaqWhole on this one in a way...to me, the way a car pulls from a roll is more important than from a dig. And a 1/4 mile e.t. is so much about the dig. Trap speed reveals how much power a car truly makes. That said, I do believe in confirming that mods work, which I have done w/ my car by doing timed acceleration pulls from a 20 mph roll.

I would rather have a car that I can personally make go 12.0 @ 125 mph than a car that goes 11.9 @ 117 mph. Yes, technically at the track the 11.9 sec car is "quicker", but everyone knows the 125 mph car is pulling harder. The 125 mph car will rule over the 11.9 car in all except from a dig or very slow roll where the tires will spin really badly.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #8005
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Guys - there's a '21 ZL1 w/ the Carbon fiber hood insert, A10, and premium infotainment (BOSE) in my area for about $6k under msrp...I'm terribly tempted to go drive it, but concerned I'll want to walk out the door with it after feeling the power...That said, what's a good price compared to msrp for a new ZL1 in your minds? I typically like to see about 15% under msrp before considering a new car a pretty good deal. Thoughts on the ZL1 price? No one needs to sell me on the performance, as I know it's a high performer...

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:38 PM   #8006
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
As much as he and I disagree on many things, I'm sort of with BlaqWhole on this one in a way...to me, the way a car pulls from a roll is more important than from a dig. And a 1/4 mile e.t. is so much about the dig. Trap speed reveals how much power a car truly makes. That said, I do believe in confirming that mods work, which I have done w/ my car by doing timed acceleration pulls from a 20 mph roll.

I would rather have a car that I can personally make go 12.0 @ 125 mph than a car that goes 11.9 @ 117 mph. Yes, technically at the track the 11.9 sec car is "quicker", but everyone knows the 125 mph car is pulling harder. The 125 mph car will rule over the 11.9 car in all except from a dig or very slow roll where the tires will spin really badly.
A lot of street action is either from a dig or a slow roll and not often up to a high MPH, so the 11.9 car being quicker will get ya everytime on the street and the 1/4 mile track. I love being the underdog and watching the high powered stuff in the mirror catching up. I had a 11.50 car that trapped at 117 mph, being quicker not faster has always been my favorite, cause I love beating the faster 125 mph boys. In my part of the country there isnt many places one can do 60 to 130 rolls. Even now one of my buds has a 662 HP GT500, I had a 2015 Stingray non Z51 manual, the GT500 has never beat my ET after many many attempts, we are both on OE factory ultra summer summer tires , manual for manual and the GT500 consistantly traps 6 to 8 MPH higher. So much easier harnessing 460 HP versus 662 HP on the street
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:13 PM   #8007
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Guys - there's a '21 ZL1 w/ the Carbon fiber hood insert, A10, and premium infotainment (BOSE) in my area for about $6k under msrp...I'm terribly tempted to go drive it, but concerned I'll want to walk out the door with it after feeling the power...That said, what's a good price compared to msrp for a new ZL1 in your minds? I typically like to see about 15% under msrp before considering a new car a pretty good deal. Thoughts on the ZL1 price? No one needs to sell me on the performance, as I know it's a high performer...
The ZL1 at full MSRP is an incredible value. That being said, any amount taken off is just extra icing on a cake that already has icing on it. If you were soo impressed with the 2018 GT Premium that you had to buy it, then you will most likely leave the dealership after you test drive the ZL1. Because they are nowhere even close in performance. You'll be blown away. Even now after being used to the power of my ZL1 (3.5 years of ownership) and a (modded) Hellcat I am still blown away by the performance of the ZL1. I would say the price is low $60K-ish with the discount? If so then I'd take it immediately.
Old 12-12-2020, 04:39 PM   #8008
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Not for nothing, but a 12 second car is a 12 second car regardless of if the driver can do it or not. If it matters to him that the car goes 12s, then he could always get someone who is better qualified to run it. I've seen that many times at the track. Which is why racing teams have a driver. But again, there are many people who take these cars to the track and we see the results. So we can say for a fact that the SS is X in the quarter mile because we have plenty of people that already proved it.

The other point again is that a car that can run low 11s feels much different than a car that runs low 12s even at partial throttle. Like the difference between a ZL1 and the SS. Now some guy in a SS might beat some guy in a ZL1...for the record back in my 5th Gen days I was running 12.8 in my FBO SS and some guy had a 13 ZL1 and the best he could get was a 13 flat. But still, drive those cars back to back and anyone can tell that the ZL1 is superior. And who knows, if I had drove his ZL1 then I might have gotten a time that was no way attainable by me in my SS. And his ZL1 was stock BTW.

Which brings up a debate I had with someone here a long time ago. When the 18 GT came out, that one company did what I call a max effort run in a GT and managed to pull 11.8 if I remember it correctly. I ran 11.8 in my ZL1 as well. However the GT was at it's max potential and my ZL1 was not even close to max potential. Those GTs will never squeeze a drop more than that bone stock. I know for a fact that I could easily get 11.6 out of my ZL1 and it still won't be a max effort run.

Back to my Hellcat, it is probably a mid 12 with the MM tires I have on it and with it being a manual trans. Probably even a high 12. But the MPH will probably be in the 130s. Like this dude I knew who had an 800+ RWHP Roush on stock tires that ran 13s but at 135 MPH. LOL!! I'll take his car any day over a GT that runs a high 11.