Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-29-2020, 01:16 PM   #15
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Ok, I’ve been here. Exact symptoms...

1. Are you tuned? If yes, Aggressive or Moderate?
2. Getting a CEL yet? Took mine a while.
3. Mine was a bad torque converter. Had to be replaced.

Personally, I believe an aggressive trans tune caused it. The tuner does not. But that fixed it. Fortunately, under warranty!
Old 12-30-2020, 06:25 AM   #16
mxdude

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro SS
Some more codes showed up last night while driving around in a more of a hilly area.
P0700 - Transmission Control System
P0741 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance/stuc OFF
Any thoughts?
mxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:27 AM   #17
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Ok, I’ve been here. Exact symptoms...

1. Are you tuned? If yes, Aggressive or Moderate?
2. Getting a CEL yet? Took mine a while.
3. Mine was a bad torque converter. Had to be replaced.

Personally, I believe an aggressive trans tune caused it. The tuner does not. But that fixed it. Fortunately, under warranty!
I was thinking this.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:58 AM   #18
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxdude View Post
Some more codes showed up last night while driving around in a more of a hilly area.
P0700 - Transmission Control System
P0741 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance/stuc OFF
Any thoughts?
Even though I tried to convince myself it was better some days than others and might even fix itself, it didn’t. I live in the foothills and there was one hilly off ramp that created the fail every time. Unless you have some extended warranty, this one appears to be out of pocket. But it’s going to require trans service and I really suspect it’s the TC and or TCC. Your car and symptoms are EXACTLY what I experienced.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:03 AM   #19
mxdude

Thanks for the feedback The flying banana SS and Moto Mojo. My car is a 2015 and just passed the 65K point. Assume this is not under warranty? Any rough guess of costs? If it's not covered and pricey, I may just change the fluid/filter, and trade it in somewhere lol
I had a tune on it, but I have the factory transmission settings back on it now. The tune was not too aggressive, but I never saw any problems until the tune. The guy that did the tune said it's not the tune (of course). I don't want to piss him off or anything but I feel it may have been the case. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:28 PM   #20
mxdude

I changed the fluid/filter today. The fluid was pretty dirty, and I feel like I put more back in than I took out. My drain pan holds 5 quarts, it was just about full. I put about 7 back in. I know I spilled some, but not 2 quarts worth. I made sure it was level and running while I topped it off. I'm installing a dipstck later this week lol. Now just need to drive it some. I took it for a quick ride, seemed normal. Just need to give it a good test and see how it works. I suspect I will see the same thing but keeping fingers crossed that it no longer acts up.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:56 PM   #21
Moto-Mojo

I’m going to guesstimate about $1,500.00. I could be off either way. One “popular” tuner here did mine. Said the same thing. Probably never know. Another “popular” tuner states on his website that he’s seen trans tunes ‘destroy’ transmissions. I went with his. After a year, so far so good. The things we do to rid ourselves of AFM!
Old 12-30-2020, 03:08 PM   #22
mxdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I’m going to guesstimate about $1,500.00. I could be off either way. One “popular” tuner here did mine. Said the same thing. Probably never know. Another “popular” tuner states on his website that he’s seen trans tunes ‘destroy’ transmissions. I went with his. After a year, so far so good. The things we do to rid ourselves of AFM!
Thanks for the feedback....! I don't doubt the tuners can get more out of our cars, but I think some things need to stay within parameters to prevent damage. At this point all I can do is learn from it. If I continue with tunes, I will probably leave the transmission alone lol. I honestly didn't even ask for the transmission to be tuned. It definately shifted quicker but it's not worth the damage that it may cause. This is my daily driver and I still owe quite a bit on it. Live an learn is all I can say at this point lol.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:58 PM   #23
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Well I sure do hope you get this all squared away! Nothing like having problems, it sucks when you just can't seem to find it. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:01 PM   #24
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxdude View Post
Thanks for the feedback....! I don't doubt the tuners can get more out of our cars, but I think some things need to stay within parameters to prevent damage. At this point all I can do is learn from it. If I continue with tunes, I will probably leave the transmission alone lol. I honestly didn't even ask for the transmission to be tuned. It definately shifted quicker but it's not worth the damage that it may cause. This is my daily driver and I still owe quite a bit on it. Live an learn is all I can say at this point lol.
Heck, I guess I'm a lucky one so far. I have had a trans tune on my 2011 Camaro since 2012, and I drive the car like it is meant to be driven. So if you have the correct tune on it, should all be good.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:28 PM   #25
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Heck, I guess I'm a lucky one so far. I have had a trans tune on my 2011 Camaro since 2012, and I drive the car like it is meant to be driven. So if you have the correct tune on it, should all be good.
This, and you also can’t take the mechanical side of things out of the equation, sometimes shit happens and mechanical things fail.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:10 PM   #26
Teeth

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
I had these same problems with my transmission after I did mods on my car earlier this year. That is definitely a slipping converter. It slips out of 6th on the highway just like mine did and is also throwing the same codes I had back then.

It took me quite a bit of money to get it squared away, I apparently needed a new converter and a new tune to correct that horrible one I got before. Best of luck finding your issue.
L99 to LS3 conversion, Vararam ram air intake, BTR Nightfury cam, Johnson lifters, LS7 injectors, Circle D 3200 stall converter, Kooks LT headers, Custom X-pipe
Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:51 PM   #27
Moto-Mojo

In some fairness to the tuners many of us use, there is a reasonable possibility that the stock TC and or TCC are a weak link. Adding just a little more stress to it over the factory tune might expose that weak link. Especially if it was designed to work on the ragged edge of a stock tune, that might explain why some fail and most don’t.

And like always, you pay to play. Some more than others!
Old 12-31-2020, 02:52 PM   #28
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
This, and you also can’t take the mechanical side of things out of the equation, sometimes shit happens and mechanical things fail.
Yes sir, been there on the mechanical failure part and have seen TQ's take a dump in several different ways. My Precision one failed when the hub cracked and it ate up all the front pump area and all the seals and pump! And if for some reason the TQ can't, or won't stay locked while driving the tranny will be slipping because it can't keep pressure on the discs and use more fuel to drive the tranny... Good luck..