Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-10-2020, 07:49 PM   #1
anthony10210

Drives: 2015 camaro 2SS 1LE
HELP PLEASE !!!! CAR BREAKING UP UNDER LOAD

So I have a 15 camaro ss 1LE, it has a GPI SS3 NA cam, comp cams trunnion upgrade kit, speed engineering headers, melling LS7 lifters, GPI 7.425 hardened pushrods, K&N black hawk intake, BTR .660 dual valve springs w/ titanium retainers, and a couple other things. It’s been tuned by another tuner who i shall not name as they completely screwed my car up with putting in BS tune which ended up being so lean i could’ve cracked a piston.

anyway, i’m getting it tuned by a different tuner and i’ve been having this problem since i’ve cammed the car where it breaks up in partial load and in WOT really bad. almost sounds like fuel cut, and it will happen randomly, it’s never consistent. my new tuner logged with me and told me it’s lots of spark knock, and it seems to be ghost knock caused by possibly the camshaft being a bit too loud for the knock sensors taste, or hitting a certain frequency the knock sensors read at random rpms and load levels.

the knock sensors are completely on and never have been desensitized, however my tuner and i have came to the conclusion we may have to desensitize the knock sensors till they don’t act up anymore and cut timing. the motor is healthy, verified by pulling plugs and the fact that i feel no loss in compression or hear anything odd in the valve train. can someone please help, have any of you gone through this ? and is it quite common on a cammed car to slightly desensitize knock sensors due to this issue ?
anthony10210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:35 AM   #2
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
What spark plugs are you using and have you tried replacing them? Not only will it eliminate a potential cause, but it will also give you the opportunity to see if the problem is limited to specific cylinders.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:14 AM   #3
taz1727

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
First off I dont know who you used before or if you're currently using him or if you're not, but @dsmlights is the man in south florida when it comes to tuning our cars... On the flip side if you did use him and he messed up your car, you might be the first LS I've heard him mess up.
I'm running a very similar setup to yours and hes been my tuner. Same cam as you, didn't know a cam could throw off knock sensors this bad? Changing your spark plugs would be a good starting point, could have faulty injectors but that's something that a tuner can see.
K&N Intake/ Pray Ported TB/ GPI Rod-Mod Intake Manifold/ GPI Ported Heads/ GPI SS3 Cam/ TSP 1-7/8" LTH to NPP/ Z/28 Diff/ Hendrix Offset Bushings/ BMR Delrin Cradle Bushings/ Pedders 27/32mm Sway Bars/ 1LE Shocks & Struts/ BMR 1.25 Springs/ Mishimoto Catch Can
taz1727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:59 PM   #4
anthony10210

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
What spark plugs are you using and have you tried replacing them? Not only will it eliminate a potential cause, but it will also give you the opportunity to see if the problem is limited to specific cylinders.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
i changed the plugs on the dyno, to TR6 .038 and it was STILL doing it.
we desensitized the sensors a bit and it’s still having spark knock issues. i am at 14 degrees of timing right now :/ i always use good fuel too so idk what the hell is going on. i pulled the old plugs on the dyno and verified they were ALL normal, i’m gonna replace the knock sensor tomorrow and i asked a bunch of technicians who work with me to give my car a listen, using a technician stethoscope to listen to the valve train. everyone said the car is operating beautifully in the head
Old 12-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #5
anthony10210

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz1727 View Post
First off I dont know who you used before or if you're currently using him or if you're not, but @dsmlights is the man in south florida when it comes to tuning our cars... On the flip side if you did use him and he messed up your car, you might be the first LS I've heard him mess up.
I'm running a very similar setup to yours and hes been my tuner. Same cam as you, didn't know a cam could throw off knock sensors this bad? Changing your spark plugs would be a good starting point, could have faulty injectors but that's something that a tuner can see.
it wasn’t DSMlights, i’ve heard he’s good but im with another tuner
Old 12-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #6
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
should be easy enough to find while trending your components and marking when this is occurring...at least zeroing in on what is exactly happening. sounds like ur tuner doesn’t want to put any time into this, go with another tuner.
No offense
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #7
anthony10210

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
should be easy enough to find while trending your components and marking when this is occurring...at least zeroing in on what is exactly happening. sounds like ur tuner doesn’t want to put any time into this, go with another tuner.
No offense
he spent 12 hours straight on the car lol, the problem is there is no trend. it’s at different places and at different times, different RPM’s from light load to WOT. it sounds like something electronic
Old 12-13-2020, 12:09 AM   #8
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony10210 View Post
he spent 12 hours straight on the car lol, the problem is there is no trend. it’s at different places and at different times, different RPM’s from light load to WOT. it sounds like something electronic
it’s something electronic? Lol, that’s what trending is....monitoring your i/o data, trend the devices individually at the same time and match the pid’s with the occurrence timeline and it will narrow it down. if your tuner is not doing this you should get a second opinion.

Last edited by bottletalk; 12-13-2020 at 12:23 AM.
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:50 AM   #9
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
You likely already did this but make sure your exhaust isn't hitting anywhere and headers aren't too close to anything. Have to make sure you aren't getting a false knock from something else first. I would do a compression check if you haven't already. If all that has checked out and you're sure my next recommendation would be to go with Ted at Jannetty racing in CT, he can remote tune and is excellent. Shouldn't have to desensitize knock sensors.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:10 PM   #10
Warship2k15

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
You most likely have a different issue.Exhaust hitting something,something loose etc.
I also had a GN that had a nail in a tire that set off the knock retard sensor.
Check everything!
Warship2k15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:21 PM   #11
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
it’s something electronic? Lol, that’s what trending is....monitoring your i/o data, trend the devices individually at the same time and match the pid’s with the occurrence timeline and it will narrow it down. if your tuner is not doing this you should get a second opinion.
Right. A data log would show injector and pump behavior, fuel pressure (random drop?), knock detect/timing (is it retarding right after the event?), voltages, etc. You should be able to see something on the datalog exactly preceeding or after the breaking up. Then it's just a matter of filtering out the stuff that is just a reaction and narrowing it down. Obviously this is a generalization, but I'm sure you get what I'm saying.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cam, help me please, knock, ls3 5thgen, tuning advice