Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-14-2020, 06:45 PM   #29
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I put all my music on an 8gb stick. I have about 500 songs with a lot of room left over. I prefer it to CD's.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:35 PM   #30
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
At the risk of being flamed for not embracing modern technology (as I've been accused of being stuck with the dinosaurs for never owning an automatic transmission), I have a great tip for anyone who wants to play their CDs in the Camaro.

If you have your own portable CD player (CD? What's a CD? Isn't that a savings account at the bank???) in your old boxes in the basement or attic (or maybe you actually still use it), simply get a 3.5 mm male-to-male headphone patch cord and connect it to the auxiliary headphone jack in the armrest. Connect the other end to the headphone output from your CD player. Then you can either use the 12v power adapter if it came with one or batteries to run it. AUX shows up in your audio source options list when something is plugged into that port and viola! It sounds really good too!

I just have way too many CDs to sit down and transfer them to my iPhone. It would take me a month. It's much easier for me just go to my shelf and pick which ones I want to listen to in the car. I have about 800 songs on my iPhone now but that's not even a quarter of my collection.
Thanks for your story - if nothing else, it has generated 3 pages of discussion so far. I resisted digital downloads for a long time myself and have a CD collection of something over 730 CDs. But I finally gave in and buy almost all my music now from iTunes. My phone is a Samsung, but I have a 128 GB iPod Touch 7th generation that I use for music.

As far as music in the Camaro, even though I have the Bose, it could be better. The iPod works fine through MyLink - playlists, podcasts, and music all use the iPod interface. But, due to the iPod barely fitting in the center console (only if I tilt it kitty-corner), sometimes I'll just bring a USB stick. The limitation - USB 3.0 doesn't work! The other thing that could be better on the Camaro is that it's missing a hard drive. My 2015 MINI daily driver has a 20 GB hard drive built in. When you stick a USB drive in the port (3.0 does work here), the system has an option to import to the hard drive.

Anyway, enjoy your CDs if that's what you like. And good luck storing them in the Camaro.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:00 PM   #31
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Anyway, enjoy your CDs if that's what you like. And good luck storing them in the Camaro.
My daily driver is a 2009 Accord with a 6 disc in dash changer. Before that it was all single disc players in cars with just as much storage room as the Camaro. They weren’t thinking of CD storage in a 1990 Beretta GT.

My point is nothing’s changed for me so storing them is no different than it’s been for 25 years. Grab a few discs for the day and put them in the glove box.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:24 PM   #32
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
For me the tech isn't difficult at all. I can transfer all my CDs to my phone or stick if I wanted to, that's not a problem. It's just, really, a waste of time to me.
Heh, I have to admit to occasionally preprocessing my mp3's to obtain a dynamic range that sounds better on the car's audio system, to make sure metadata (album, artist, track) and album art are all correct... talk about a waste of time

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:25 PM   #33
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Guys if you don't want to worry about your CD's skipping you could always just dig your old Walkman and cassettes out of one of the boxes in your attic and hook it up the same way.

I'm sure some of you held on to your MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice and New Kids on the Block cassettes? Or how about some old cassettes of your favorite radio station in 1994 that you made by hitting record on your boom box when a song you liked came on?
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:03 AM   #34
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Guys if you don't want to worry about your CD's skipping you could always just dig your old Walkman and cassettes out of one of the boxes in your attic and hook it up the same way.

I'm sure some of you held on to your MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice and New Kids on the Block cassettes? Or how about some old cassettes of your favorite radio station in 1994 that you made by hitting record on your boom box when a song you liked came on?
I was never in to that. I was into Elvis and the Beatles, then in high school it was all the grunge stuff first. And then I discovered the great stuff - Pink Floyd, The Who, and Led Zeppelin. I have every one of their albums twice over each on CD and twice on vinyl.

And my portable CD player has anti-skip memory
Old 08-15-2020, 08:25 AM   #35
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
So you’re a f’n psychologist now eh?

You missed the point so much - as you do with a lot of topics I’ve noticed - that there’s no sense in you being on this forum. Your opinions are baseless and your responses border on what moderators have suspended people for before.
Attached Images

gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:46 AM   #36
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
57: I have hundreds of CD’s I have hundreds of Vinyl albums and even cassettes.

Solution for car, mowing the lawn, working out? Apple Music, so far never failed to find a song I want.
My current favorite JJ Wilde, look her up!

I also have Pandora and Spotify, and a few radio station apps.

While deployed, I tuned in to my hometown radio station every Sunday for the “feels”

A few favorites are loaded directly to my apple library for no connection/ airplane mode etc.

Time to cut the cord, keep the CD’s for the man cave
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:58 AM   #37
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
First, your suggestion of the stereo jack is an option, but (IMHO) there is a better one - use a USB CD drive. You can both power the drive AND control the playback from the head unit.

Second, the process of ripping CD’s can be quite painless if you happen to be a bit of “a tecchie”. I have a purpose-built Linux machine with two DVD drives that I can feed BluRay, DVD, or CD media to and it will do 100% of the work of pulling the content off of the disc and organizing it along with metadata and album art. If you have any interest in building a machine like that, PM me and I can share some info on how I built it and how to customize it.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #38
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
If they weren’t garbage to begin with I’d be all for it

My basement is full of old school audio. I was an audio technician for 10 years before I got into medical equipment. Made a great living fixing everything from 1960s jukeboxes to 4 channel Quadrophonic receivers from the 60s and 70s, along with modern stuff too with Dolby Digital. Everything from $5,000 turntables to $50.00 DVD players I learned to fix.

It all started with my Grandfather’s 1967 Rowe jukebox. I learned how the electronics and mechanicals worked in that when I was about 15 and I still have it.
Boy could I use you now.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:02 PM   #39
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldman View Post
Boy could I use you now.
What do you have and what’s the problem, maybe I can give you direction over the internet
Old 08-15-2020, 02:49 PM   #40
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
First, your suggestion of the stereo jack is an option, but (IMHO) there is a better one - use a USB CD drive. You can both power the drive AND control the playback from the head unit.
If only someone had thought of that sooner!
Old 08-15-2020, 03:22 PM   #41
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Heh, I have to admit to occasionally preprocessing my mp3's to obtain a dynamic range that sounds better on the car's audio system, to make sure metadata (album, artist, track) and album art are all correct... talk about a waste of time

Thats what kills me about all this new stuff the compression sounds like its in a tin can and I have no clue,time or paitience to learn whats what what better whos cheaper... I guess im old.

I goto to live music shows alot before covid so I like the live sound...and you dont get that in MP3.

The sirius radio in my 1le sounds like my dads am radio did in his 1969 Chevelle wagon...Chevy recreated something right!

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:49 PM   #42
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
I think there are many out there in the same situation as OP. Recently a rep at an audio store told me if it wasn't for customers buying new CD head units, they might be out of business.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote