Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-31-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Clutch pop starting

I've had my Camaro for 5 months but I just realized now, there's no way to clutch start it if the battery is dead. It requires both the clutch AND the brake to be pressed to start. Of course applying the brake will stop the momentum of the transmission turning the clutch thus not being able to crank the engine. Also, the push button start eliminates the possibility of engaging accessory mode mechanically. On old cars you turn the key to acc mode, and even if the car is completely dead the accessory circuit is connected and will provide power to all the systems once the alternator starts turning.

With a push button start, acc mode is engaged electronically. You can't even manually override it.

Modern technology. Sheesh
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:33 AM   #2
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
New cars are not designed to be roll started, Those days are gone....
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:35 AM   #3
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
New cars are not designed to be roll started, Those days are gone....
Yep apparently so.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:52 AM   #4
I`m Batman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6
I figured that out the hard way with my previous car. It had direct injection, electronic blah blah blah everything. My battery died so I though, no big deal I have a manual, I'll just roll it down the hill from my house... NOPE did not start. Took me a second to figure out that those electronic direct fuel injector and drive by wire throttle requires POWER.

I had to run back up the hill to get my other car to jump start it.... Drive it back, then run back to get the other car. Good morning exercise.

Good luck with the Camaro, how are you going to disengage E-Brake if you have no power?
I`m Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:00 PM   #5
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by I`m Batman View Post
I figured that out the hard way with my previous car. It had direct injection, electronic blah blah blah everything. My battery died so I though, no big deal I have a manual, I'll just roll it down the hill from my house... NOPE did not start. Took me a second to figure out that those electronic direct fuel injector and drive by wire throttle requires POWER.

I had to run back up the hill to get my other car to jump start it.... Drive it back, then run back to get the other car. Good morning exercise.

Good luck with the Camaro, how are you going to disengage E-Brake if you have no power?
Well, the electronic throttle and DFI shouldn't be a problem. My Accord has electronic throttle (and fuel injection has been electronic on all cars since the 80s) and it clutch pops fine. So long as the alternator is turning and works, 12 volts is being applied to all the systems in the entire car. Did your previous car have push button start or a mechanical ignition lock?

The problem comes in where you can't even turn the ignition switch to accessory mode manually, thus completing the run circuit. Can't go to acc mode manually, and you have to apply the brakes to start the car. That's what makes clutch popping impossible.

And you're right I didn't even think about the e-brake. That's something I think companies really need to make a manual mechanical release for somewhere in the car for emergencies. Starting to realize modern cars rely far too much on electronics. You need to have some mechanical access by the driver as fail-safes for electronic failures.

That is why you will never see me in an autonomous car. Ever. Or even one with radar guided cruise control. The last thing you need is for the software to glitch out.

Last edited by Petrol Head; 07-31-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:29 PM   #6
I`m Batman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Did your previous car have push button start or a mechanical ignition lock?

My old car had a normal key ignition.

I tested, Pop/push start would work if my battery is not dead. I doesn't when it's dead.
I`m Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
It's ben a looooong time since cars could be push started with a dead battery.

Like 30 years.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:17 PM   #8
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
I've had my Camaro for 5 months but I just realized now, there's no way to clutch start it if the battery is dead. It requires both the clutch AND the brake to be pressed to start. Of course applying the brake will stop the momentum of the transmission turning the clutch thus not being able to crank the engine. Also, the push button start eliminates the possibility of engaging accessory mode mechanically. On old cars you turn the key to acc mode, and even if the car is completely dead the accessory circuit is connected and will provide power to all the systems once the alternator starts turning.

With a push button start, acc mode is engaged electronically. You can't even manually override it.

Modern technology. Sheesh
One thing I’d like to point out: the brake doesn’t have to be pressed to start the manual cars, but clutch does.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:19 PM   #9
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
One thing I’d like to point out: the brake doesn’t have to be pressed to start the manual cars, but clutch does.

Clutch AND Brake are indeed required, if I only push clutch I get a reminder that brake must be depressed.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:28 PM   #10
sav03cobra
SS Copbait R.I.

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
If the battery has is at least enough to have interior lights on then it should be enough disengage the ebrake, press the ACC button like your are attempting to start while someone is pushing and clutch pop it in 1st. I’ve done it and it does work. Now completely dead is another story but if there’s at least a little juice it works.
sav03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:38 PM   #11
BenDiem

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS 1LE
I hear ya OP.

My biggest annoyance is similar.
I have not managed to find a way to disengage the stupid electric hand brake, when all I want to do is role the car out of the garage just a bit, to wash it. I hate the electric brake!
PITA! My only gripe w/the car.
Cheers/B
Old 07-31-2020, 03:15 PM   #12
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
It's ben a looooong time since cars could be push started with a dead battery.

Like 30 years.
Well, it works on my 2009 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6 speed coupe so.....
Old 07-31-2020, 03:17 PM   #13
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post
Clutch AND Brake are indeed required, if I only push clutch I get a reminder that brake must be depressed.
Yes I’ve already tried starting by just pressing the clutch and it in fact will not start. You get that message on the DIC.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:20 PM   #14
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav03cobra View Post
If the battery has is at least enough to have interior lights on then it should be enough disengage the ebrake, press the ACC button like your are attempting to start while someone is pushing and clutch pop it in 1st. I’ve done it and it does work. Now completely dead is another story but if there’s at least a little juice it works.
Good to know! But how did you get around the requirement that both the brake and clutch must be pressed to start? Was the guy pushing you strong enough to brake torque it?