#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #1
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Softpore vs Hardpore Corn

One of my favorite things about living here is getting fresh corn during the warm weather months, and I'm pretty psyched about getting some fresh corn soon. I've found that, even from the same producer, there can be a good bit of variation in the pore firmness of corn. I tend to prepare hardpore corn because I like to grill my corn and the firmness helps with mailliard reaction and thus, has better carmelization. I know many people used to getting their corn at a store tend to find softpore corn more approachable, in terms of its flavor profile. While corn tastes do vary, I've found that hardpore corn is much more satisfying. It's hard to get much enjoyment out of softpore corn once you get used to hardpore corn. This only refers to what we Americans think of as corn. "Corn" is used to describe any number of grains in Europe. For instance, many Americans find German corn unpalatable. So which do you prefer: hardpore corn or softpore corn? If you're unfamiliar with the concept of porousness in corn, you might want to do some web research. The OSU extension is a good resource, but there are plenty of good, comprehensive corn sites out there.
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #2
ttesort1

Drives: 2013 2lt rs
Grilling fresh local corn is the best, especially living in the corn state. You just cant beat it
ttesort1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Sweet Corn please .

The German Corn you mentioned sounds like Cow corn or Feed corn which is feed to farm animals .
1Coopgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Mmm... I love grilled corn. I like to pull the husks back and butter, salt and pepper them then put the husks back on and grill them. So good.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote