Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-22-2020, 07:26 PM   #1
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Home made splash guards!

Many talk about splash guards being almost essential, and I've gotta say that even with street tires and off track use, I see debris all the way up the doors. Out back the PPF seems to cover the needed areas, but up front....well....I saw why so many of you run splash guards.

The GM pieces are really nice but they're too...big, too noticeable, at least to me. The ZL1 add-on style looks good, but... looked too much like a mudflap. Still.... it was thin, and pretty low key. I figured I'd model mine after that style, but make it a little more subtle. If dropping the profile down affects performance, so be it. These are as big as I'm willing to go.

-I bought a piece of 12" x 12" x.125", black, textured ABS plastic. Thought it was textured on both sides, but it was not. Clicked a different link and got single sided. My bad. We'll see how the smooth/tire side wears over time.

-I traced a pattern out of masking tape first, then transferred it to some thin cardboard. Laid down a ruler for scale, then photographed it to get it into the computer.
-Being a graphic artists and operations manager at a local sign shop certainly helps. I played with a few different shape and size profiles, ultimately decided to go with the old KISSASS method. Keep it simple stupid and somewhat small!!! LOL. -sorry. bad joke.
-About 25 mintues on the 3 axis router and they were good to go. I routed a groove in them for the double sided 3M VHB tape to help keep the tape from holding the plastic off the fender. It's only 1/16", but still. I really wanted it to hug up tight. ....peel, stick, and there ya go!

That tape is SUPER strong, and will likely hold. If not, I'm only out a few bucks. I could drill 'em, but I'm not gonna do that at this time. We'll see how they work!
Attached Images

Abubaca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:31 PM   #2
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Wow, good job!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:03 PM   #3
Callaway SC630

Drives: 2020 Callaway Camaro SC630
Those are really good.

Kind of like the Stealth Splash Guards I have.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2020, 10:22 PM   #4
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Nice job! Wish I had a CNC too haha
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:03 AM   #5
Justcruising

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
I’d be willing to buy a set if you are thinking of making some for fellow 6 gen owners I think they are a well thought out design
Justcruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:59 AM   #6
Marty31

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10
Nice work!
Marty31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:30 AM   #7
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Drives: Camaro
Awesome job!
Altered Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:57 AM   #8
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Yeah, I did the same. I don't know how they're getting fifty bucks for the ZL1 splash guards for a quarter sheet of abs. I ran mine a little longer though, I was already getting marks on the bottom of the Rockers. Figured might as well protect it all.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:26 AM   #9
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the only thing that is going to protect your car. Your front is too short, like the ZL1...they undeniably look good but they're way short on protection. If you'd take your design and lengthen in to extend downward another 1-2"...maybe.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:42 AM   #10
Abubaca

Thanks for the kind words guys. ...we shall see how well they work. No miles on 'em yet!!!

Quote:
I’d be willing to buy a set if you are thinking of making some for fellow 6 gen owners I think they are a well thought out design
Thanks man!!!! ....I won't say "NO", but at this time that's not my intention. We'll see how they hold up. I'd hate to sell 'em, only to have 'em fall off!!! I did make an extra set though, if mine last for awhile, maybe I'll just send that extra set to you and we can both be guinea pigs!!!

Quote:
I don't know how they're getting fifty bucks for the ZL1 splash guards for a quarter sheet of abs.
I've "made" stuff for different vehicles before, and while I can always do it WAY cheaper than I can buy it, you gotta remember you have the time to R&D (in this case I spent an evening making templates), plus the time to make, the cost of operating a business, plus from the business side of it, they DO deserve to make a profit. -and the router is 30 grand too!

Quote:
they undeniably look good but they're way short on protection.
Yep, I agree with you. If they help at all, it'll be worth it. For a track car I see big guards, but for a street car, I'm not willing to sacrifice appearance beyond what I've made, which is why I made them and didn't buy the ZL1 add ons part. We'll see.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #11
Justcruising

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
I’m cool with that
Justcruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:02 PM   #12
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
Great idea

Thanks for sharing
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:47 AM   #13
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post

I've "made" stuff for different vehicles before, and while I can always do it WAY cheaper than I can buy it, you gotta remember you have the time to R&D (in this case I spent an evening making templates), plus the time to make, the cost of operating a business, plus from the business side of it, they DO deserve to make a profit. -and the router is 30 grand.
Oh I understand. :-) this is what I do. I've got over seven figures into my shop, and if I was Manufacturing these in any kind of a volume, I wouldn't charge more than probably 29 99. But I also don't have the middleman, and I coded mine in about 15 minutes. LOL.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:47 AM   #14
Abubaca

Quote:
Oh I understand. :-) this is what I do. I've got over seven figures into my shop, and if I was Manufacturing these in any kind of a volume, I wouldn't charge more than probably 29 99. But I also don't have the middleman, and I coded mine in about 15 minutes. LOL.

Yeah, I always wonder about the shops and companies that make this stuff. On one hand, you'll have brands under the Holley group, or Edelbrock, etc. etc., and then you'll have smaller start ups, and sometimes those guys are working out of their garage. Cost of simply running the business can vary drastically, as well as what is considered volume. One guys is turning out 1000 a day, one guys is doing 1 a week. I was making custom gauge overlays for 85-89 Iroc clusters, and required you to send your cluster to me. I was charging $125 for 5 dollars worth of printed vinyl, but I only got about 1 or 2 a week. After a few months, good as the money was, it just became a headache. Wasn't nearly enough to quit my job, but I was working on 'em most evenings. The money wasn't worth my time. On paper it was a huge profit, but in reality....not as much.