Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 03-29-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
brzfan

Drives: '18 Camero V6 1LE
Preparing for first track day (V6 1LE)

Just got my V6 1LE and it has been awesome to drive, especially on the 10+ hour trip I took back from dealer to my place. It's a bit heavy/sluggish, I can't see anything outside, and the base seats don't hold me in, but other than that no flaws that bother me. Even the V6 feels powerful compared to the 160whp BRZ I was driving before :P.

I'm preparing for my first track day with the Camaro and wanted to run my list of items by you guys to catch if I made any mistakes or bad choices. I will have the oils changed next week at a shop, will be at around 1,000 miles.

Oil filter: ACDelco PF64 from High Performance Owner's Manual

Front brake pads: G-Loc R10 for 2016 Camaro SS (GP1001)

Rear brake pads: G-Loc R10 for 2010-2016 Camaro LS/LT (GP1053)

Is it correct that V6 1LE uses base Camaro6 SS front pads and base Camaro5/6 V6 LS/LT rear pads?

How are the stock V6 1LE brake pads for track days? I have around 20-25 track day experience. Regardless of how good they are, I will be ordering another set anyway to have as a stand by.

The Project Mu Club Racer brake pad I used had a similar operating range as the R10, up to 800*C. Wear was OK on them albeit on a track with low braking demands and non sticky tires, but they started crumbling after a few track days.

I'm mainly looking for something that can be used for both daily driving and track and will last a long time on the track. Don't care about loud screeching or dust. I haven't decided on any specific product, G-Loc was just the brand that came to my mind first.

Engine oil: Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40 dexxos2

Anyone use Motul 300V? It's supposed to last longer on the track, but I don't think it's on GM's approved lsit.

Trans oil: Motul Gear 300 75w90 GL-4/5

Diff oil: Motul Gear 300 LS 75w90 GL-4/5

Brakes: Castrol SRF DOT 3/4

Tools:

Harbor Freight 2.3 gallon manual oil extractor - V6 1LE requires 1qt oil overfill... I think I got fuel starvation just from going down banked onramp and full throttle out of it.

Harbor Freight 3 ton low profile steel floor jack

Last edited by brzfan; 03-29-2018 at 08:23 PM.
brzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
I didn't use the stock pads on my trackday. I swapped them out for Z26 pads, Motul 660 fluid. On the street the yfeel similar to stock just don't produce as much brake. On track they did fine, although I was wanting a little more. And yes SS front pads, LS/LT rear pads.
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #3
Kairles

I see your in the Bay Area, maybe I'll see you at a trackday.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:43 PM   #4
brzfan

Drives: '18 Camero V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairles View Post
Awesome, I have actually never seen an 1LE of any type in my four years living here. I will be at Streets of Willow 4/21-22 and Thunderhill West 4/28-29.
brzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:31 PM   #5
Kairles

I might do Thill West on the 28th. Been wanting to do the west on 4 wheels for a while. Lots of different things going on that weekend.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:19 AM   #6
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzfan View Post
Front brake pads: G-Loc R10 for 2016 Camaro SS (GP1001)

Rear brake pads: G-Loc R10 for 2010-2016 Camaro LS/LT (GP1053)

I'm mainly looking for something that can be used for both daily driving and track and will last a long time on the track. Don't care about loud screeching or dust. I haven't decided on any specific product, G-Loc was just the brand that came to my mind first.
I think you'd be happy with the R10's, and I think you ought to be able to get half a dozen track days out of them before they're more than 50% worn. Dust you'll get for sure, but noise in street duty either isn't always there or it's at least not loud enough that you'll always hear it. And unlike certain brand H entry-level track pads, they're gentle on rotors even in 100% street duty. That's been my experience with 10-level compounds in Carbotech and G-loc on a car that weighs about the same as yours and has about the same power (20 or so less HP, about 1000 rpm less to play with, but 40 ft*lbs more torque).

Quote:
I think I got fuel starvation just from going down banked onramp and full throttle out of it.
Any chance of this being some sort of break-in limitation?

Quote:
Harbor Freight 3 ton low profile steel floor jack
For something you're going to bring to the track, I'm going to suggest an aluminum floor jack. Being much easier to heft in and out of the trunk makes for less chance of dinging the car. In any case, get a couple of hockey pucks for cheap disposable protection of wherever you end up lifting the car at.

Norm
Old 03-30-2018, 09:35 AM   #7
IH8WNTR

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairles View Post
Good to see more locals around! It'll be nice to see others burning up the tracks.
IH8WNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #8
driverxdeutsch

Drives: 2018 V6 1LE
Woo, another V6 1le at the track! I just went to Buttonwillow last Sunday and was incredibly impressed by the car. My last track car was an S2000 with all of the necessities done, pads, fluids, brake ducts to stop the rotor cracking issue, etc. All I did on the camaro was the track alignment and the break in oil change and diff fluid (I used the factory recommended gear oil and it was the easiest fluid change I've ever done).

The v6 1le is 100% ready for heavy track abuse right off the showroom floor. I expected pads and brake fluid to be an issue but never got around to flushing the brakes, although I had my bleeder and a few things of RBF 600 with me just in case. The stock pads and fluid kept up all day long. Initial bite got a little soft after the second session but after the first inch of travel the stopping power was 100% there, never faded on track. The tires will not be super happy, expect significant wear on the front tires. The weight is for sure there, but the tires are the only thing that really show that. I'll be moving to a 18" 275/285 square setup in the future for track use.

Honestly, my vote is to get it aligned, make sure all of the services in the supplemental track manual are done, and go out and beat on it. You will be VERY impressed. I ran a 2:04.2 at Buttonwillow, very respectable time. Faster than my semi-prepped S2000 ever was, and faster than my friends full aero, full suspension, 200 treadwear tire S2000 was when I drove them back to back.

Have fun!

driverxdeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #9
hzycamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Glad to see so many locals! Which organization do you run with? I run with NASA and Speed District. Plan to try OnGrid
hzycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:31 PM   #10
driverxdeutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzycamaro View Post
Glad to see so many locals! Which organization do you run with? I run with NASA and Speed District. Plan to try OnGrid
I usually run with speed ventures, they have it together pretty well. I would love to run with NASA but it would sort of suck to work up their "ladder" as I'm already in the open passing group with speed ventures. Maybe sometime in the future. I've actually never heard of speed district, how are their events?
Old 04-12-2018, 11:49 PM   #11
hzycamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by driverxdeutsch View Post
I usually run with speed ventures, they have it together pretty well. I would love to run with NASA but it would sort of suck to work up their "ladder" as I'm already in the open passing group with speed ventures. Maybe sometime in the future. I've actually never heard of speed district, how are their events?
I've heard of speed ventures but I've never run with them. Because a friend of mine told me he had bad experience with speed ventures and there were too many cars on track. Since you say they are good, I may give it a try in future.

I'm new to track driving and had only 4 track days. That's why I ran with NASA and I've learned a lot from NASA instructors. You're really good with a 2:04 at Buttonwillow. My best time at Buttonwillow 13cw is 2:05. I've only changed wheels, tires (19'' 295 R888R all around) and track pads. Since you have a lot of experience, I guess NASA event doesn't appeal to you.

Speed District is a bit expensive but I think it's very good because there are not many cars (probably because of high price) and you can get 3 hours track time if you keep driving.
hzycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #12
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
ive ran with speed ventures extreme speed and speed district and i love speed ventures the most ...good guys and not too crowded tracks good safety and fair prices
Old 04-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #13
driverxdeutsch

Yeah, the organization of speed ventures' track days is by far the best I've experienced. There are a fair number of cars on track, up to 30 in the larger run groups, but they stage by lap time so it is rare that you ever pass or are passed after the first session. The more advanced run groups are best as everyone has a good understanding of what's happening around them and are usually very courteous. Aaron is quick to call people on their BS and is happy to kick people out if they're being dumb.

That said, I would actually love to run with NASA, it seems to be the more serious route and have more of a national following. I would go and start out at the bottom again, I just need the $ to start tracking with some regularity.

And yeah, I was really impressed with the 2:04 on runflats, the 1le's are magic. There is nothing with a warranty that's faster for the money.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:14 PM   #14
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
only bad thing about nasa is you have to pay to be a member and its for more serious people not just fun track day people buts its a good group same with ssca people