Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-28-2021, 10:29 PM   #15
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
I also installed the ZL1 Add ons. I think they definitely help prevent chips and don't look obtrusive.

The only thing I missed during the install was taking a black sharpie marker and coloring the side of the white foam adhesive strip BEFORE mounting. The white strip stood out between the blue of the fender and black of the guard. I was able to color it black after install, but it wasn't easy. With a rally green car, you may have the same issue.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:38 AM   #16
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
I also installed the ZL1 Add ons. I think they definitely help prevent chips and don't look obtrusive.

The only thing I missed during the install was taking a black sharpie marker and coloring the side of the white foam adhesive strip BEFORE mounting. The white strip stood out between the blue of the fender and black of the guard. I was able to color it black after install, but it wasn't easy. With a rally green car, you may have the same issue.
I can't remember for certain, but I don't think the tape is white any more. Might be black.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:30 AM   #17
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Bingo. Those steamrollers throw rocks like there's no tomorrow. Or no side rocker clearcoat tomorrow.

I added RPI mudflaps (similar in design to the ZL1 Addons guards) very early on, and have side skirts on order, which is a combo I expect to eliminate this problem.
I had the ZL1 addons guards on mine as well as sideskirts and i still got a bunch of chips in front of the rear fender area. I think the RPI guards are better because they have the flap that hangs down below the fender. That flap might look worse, but i bet it's very functional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem2104 View Post
i solved my problem with rocks for my 1le with a cheap mod to the factory GM guards:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575899

highly recommend this combo
This is probably the most effective setup I've seen, good idea
Old 01-29-2021, 08:51 AM   #18
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I can't remember for certain, but I don't think the tape is white any more. Might be black.
I just bought mine at Xmas time and the tape is black
joekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:06 AM   #19
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post
I just bought mine at Xmas time and the tape is black
Just put mine on and yes tape is black. Will see how they do. Only 1150 miles on the car, I did get three little hits on the driver side rear panel right before I took it in for track PPF 😡. Other then that no hits. I drove through some water to see what kind of spray pattern might develop, water drops on bottom edge of rocker for three inches. More behind rear wheel along same line. Doesn’t mean much but at least water wasn’t spraying up along the side of the car. That time anyway.

The added flap hanging down isn’t a bad idea if you don’t mind the look. I have PPF for autocross that I do, but want to keep the “self healing “PPF as clean as possible.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:31 AM   #20
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Ordered the RPI premiums, thanks!
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:06 AM   #21
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Just put mine on and yes tape is black. Will see how they do. Only 1150 miles on the car, I did get three little hits on the driver side rear panel right before I took it in for track PPF 😡. Other then that no hits. I drove through some water to see what kind of spray pattern might develop, water drops on bottom edge of rocker for three inches. More behind rear wheel along same line. Doesn’t mean much but at least water wasn’t spraying up along the side of the car. That time anyway.

The added flap hanging down isn’t a bad idea if you don’t mind the look. I have PPF for autocross that I do, but want to keep the “self healing “PPF as clean as possible.
A update: 1900 miles and zl1 flaps and PPF have kept the car free of marks. What little marks there were look like tiny dirt clod hits that wipe off. I did get a few little hits but that was from having on the 305/30/19s and autocrossing on a worn out parking lot with gravely surface
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote