Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-29-2020, 08:54 PM   #1
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Not so much

So I looked at at a challenger the other day, since FCA has killer rebates on their new stuff this month. Thought maybe a scat pack equipped 6.4L... car would be interesting to drive maybe. The sales guys first off wouldn't let me test drive the car initially, which I can understand. Its a performance car, not everyone should be able to test drive. They warned me to be careful with the 485Hp under the hood. Wow, what a let down. It drove just fine, great brakes, ok interior, huge trunk. But tried to accelerate up an on ramp, and it was a slug. I was very under whelmed with the test drive. So went and bought a new 2SS camaro instead.

The camaro just feels and reacts like a performance car. Just thought I would try the other options out there.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:31 PM   #2
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I used to want a Challenger very much, but after owning an RX-8, I lost interest as the Challenger doesn't handle well. I would still like to test drive one if I have a chance at some point, though.

There was a thread of a guy with SS racing a 392 SRT Challenger and the Challenger didn't keep up. The Challenger simply weighs too much and the 30 extra horses can't help that.

That said, I have a friend with a Hellcat Charger, and the supercharger whine is just amazing.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:25 AM   #3
Marty31

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10
How are you not taking a financial bath on new car purchases?
Marty31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:06 AM   #4
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Sometimes a new cars feels like a slug until you get some miles on it.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:15 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Is FCA doing the "reduced power until break-in is complete" thing with the Challengers like the Demon and new C8 vettes?
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:18 AM   #6
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Is FCA doing the "reduced power until break-in is complete" thing with the Challengers like the Demon and new C8 vettes?
My 2019 C7 did that also until 500 miles.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:25 AM   #7
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
My experience was quite the opposite. I've driven the newer SS, 5.0 GT, and a 392. The 392 actually felt more punchy down low (throttle response was by far the best) and pulled very strong like the SS in my opinion. Even the 5.0 Mustang felt like it had better tip in response than the Camaro, but after that the LT1 torque was noticeably better. On paper these cars are incredibly close in acceleration.
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:43 AM   #8
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty31 View Post
How are you not taking a financial bath on new car purchases?
Haven't you heard from some of the guys on here? Buy a new Camaro and they practically gain value over night, or you can at least break even!

I'm not entirely surprised on the OP's review of the Challenger; that is basically what I would expect. Can't test drive it because it is a high horsepower car, give me a break. That is one thing that has always floored me about domestic dealerships. They treat their vehicles like they're all gold (you NEED someone to test drive with you, have to twist their arm to get the keys, sales attitude, etc.). You can go to one of the higher tiered dealerships and they'll throw you the keys to something with double the MSRP without batting an eye. I will say in their defense, however, that I'm sure the domestic dealerships see a lot more of the "buyer scum" than the higher end ones... people window shopping, test driving for a hot lap, being financially unrealistic..
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:55 AM   #9
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Yeah the Dodge dealers probably get a good share of the under 30 crowd who just want to go for a joy ride with no intent or financial ability to actually buy a new Challenger. There's many on the lots and FCA advertises the heck out of them - with ads that really make you want one!

We've been down that road a billion times with people on this forum about GM's abysmal advertising and promotion of the Camaro.

OTOH, That's sort of a positive of the Camaro SS too. With very few on the lots, and fewer people actually knowing about them and thus salivating over them, you have to be a serious buyer to find one to test drive. I drove the only 2018 SS with the manual anywhere in the Cleveland area and the salesman was cool with me driving myself.

I can remember when the Camaro, TransAm, Mustang, Regal T-Type/GN/GNX, and the like were all more prevalent, advertised, and stocked at dealers. 16 year olds were showing up looking for a WS6 just to "take for a spin" lol
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:25 AM   #10
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
I'm not entirely surprised on the OP's review of the Challenger; that is basically what I would expect. Can't test drive it because it is a high horsepower car, give me a break. That is one thing that has always floored me about domestic dealerships. They treat their vehicles like they're all gold (you NEED someone to test drive with you, have to twist their arm to get the keys, sales attitude, etc.). You can go to one of the higher tiered dealerships and they'll throw you the keys to something with double the MSRP without batting an eye. I will say in their defense, however, that I'm sure the domestic dealerships see a lot more of the "buyer scum" than the higher end ones... people window shopping, test driving for a hot lap, being financially unrealistic..
Try walking into a Honda dealer and asking for a test drive on a Civic Type R. See how they treat you. Hint: it makes even less sense than not allowing you to test drive a pony car.

As a serious buyer, I have had no trouble with getting test drives on Corvette, Camaro or Mustang. And yes, when I bought my C7, the salesman told me that they require a deposit on Corvette test drives as they had people who just take them out for spins without any intentions to buy them, especially during COVID when some people are bored.

Maybe it's a Dodge thing, then?

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:25 AM   #11
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Test drove a scat pack a few times. Never felt sluggish to me at all. But the seats were subpar (stock ones anyway) and the bulk/weight turned me off big time.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:22 PM   #12
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
The thing I've been turned off the most with Challenger/Charger's is the final drive ratio seems more suited for highway cruising than performance. I had a Mustang GT, 3:73, option was 3:55, base was a 3:23 (IIRC), then the 1LE is 3:73 but those cars the gear ration was something like 2:75 (ish).
To add, my GF had a V6 Challenger and it's big and heavy and bulky, she loved it, great car and she drove the snot out of it and that V6 would GO.

Typically if I'm going in to test drive, I would walk if they do the test drive non-sense. I'm 48 and I pull up in these kind of cars anyway so it's not like a kid that is joy riding.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:40 PM   #13
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
The thing I've been turned off the most with Challenger/Charger's is the final drive ratio seems more suited for highway cruising than performance. I had a Mustang GT, 3:73, option was 3:55, base was a 3:23 (IIRC), then the 1LE is 3:73 but those cars the gear ration was something like 2:75 (ish).
To add, my GF had a V6 Challenger and it's big and heavy and bulky, she loved it, great car and she drove the snot out of it and that V6 would GO.

Typically if I'm going in to test drive, I would walk if they do the test drive non-sense. I'm 48 and I pull up in these kind of cars anyway so it's not like a kid that is joy riding.
The 6.2L NA V8 Challengers have a 3.90 axle ratio with the manual.

If you're comparing it to an auto, you really need to run the #s on trans gear ratio and axle ratio to gauge which one is more aggressive. For instance, comparing the Camaro SS 8spd auto (2.77 axle ratio) to Camaro SS manual (3.73), you can see that the auto is geared more aggressively overall despite the numerically lower rear axle ratio.
Attached Images

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:49 PM   #14
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
shat...whichever I didn't like whatever I read at the time and then I wasn't getting one any way.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote