Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-17-2020, 02:24 PM   #15
gcrusco

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSA View Post
Have you tried 100% distilled water? That will drop temps, but I don’t know by how much- have to test.

I wonder if the lower pulley is the issue. How much boost are you seeing on the first hot lap? Are you logging IAT2? I’d like to see peak straight speed on the first hot lap for your setup vs a car with full exhaust, porter blower, and a larger tb (but not pulley)..... and temps throughout the session with the no pulley setup.

If it’s a track only car, you could try removing the ac condenser. If you do, please report back with results. Same for distilled water.
Would like to keep the AC for right now. I will have to look at all the temps on the log and see what they are. Pulley may be the issue.
gcrusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:26 PM   #16
juice3

Drives: 19 ZLE A10,17 SS 1LE, 16 C7R,CT5V
Been battling the jointly rising coolant temps 262+ and Oil Temps 300+ on the first lap with a 2650.

I have conversed with a ton of folks with stock blower, aftermarket blower, and ported stocker. Seems the thing that everyone that is able to do laps in their car has done is a seperate oil cooler setup.

I put a call into C&R today, as noted they don't make a radiator for the ZL1 or ZLE. During the call they stated that they found greater performance with seperation of the oil cooling from the engine cooling. Their solution is to replace the side cooler that performs secondary HX functions, make that an oil cooler, and put a larger primary HX into the car. Details to come out soon ISH.

For now the Improved Racing with a SetRab hanging off the front of the car from say the front crash beam is going to be the way to make it happen.
juice3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:14 PM   #17
juice3

I heard @travislambert Has some details!
Old 10-21-2020, 01:56 PM   #18
swisstyphoon
Former GM Technician

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 06 Silverado Duramax
Maybe Improved Racing can help you with an oil cooler.
I saw this video the other day:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k2UeXr...ture=emb_title

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-co...ter-p-930.html
Rotofab Big Gulp, Nick Williams 103, Magnuson 2650, 9.17" (14%) lower, 90mm upper, Vengeance Racing Heads (LME) Cam Package (Cammotion Stage 1), Johnson Lifters, JMS Voltage Booster, Lingenfelter high flow check valve, BBK shorty headers, Custom 2.75" down pipes, Gesi Gen2 high flow cats, MM catch can 791whp, 772ft-lbs SAE
Just added 30% XDI Injectors, LPE big bore hpfp, Flex fuel.
Elite tuning, results coming soon.

2006 Silverado Duramax Diesel
MPI Compound Turbo
40% over Injectors
Efi Live DSP5 Tuning

Follow me on Instagram: Swisstyphoon1980
swisstyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #19
juice3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstyphoon View Post
Maybe Improved Racing can help you with an oil cooler.
I saw this video the other day:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k2UeXr...ture=emb_title

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-co...ter-p-930.html

I have an untested and un installed list of parts from Improved.

I will share it, however, again this has not been installed as of yet. And still requires routing the oil cooler lines to the front of the car, which is a VERY tight fit.

EGM-136 Builder 1
Oil Cooler Adapter
1 x 2016+ Camaro SS/ZL1 & CTS-V Oil Cooler Adapter
EGM-136
Factory Water-to-Oil Cooler Delete Kit
1 x 6th Gen Camaro SS / ZL1 Factory Oil Cooler Delete Kit
E6G-680
Adapter Fittings
2 x RaceFlux -10AN O-Ring Boss to -10AN Male Flare Adapter Fitting
OM-10-10

Setrab Oil Cooler Configurator 1
Oil Cooler
1 x Setrab 60-Row, Series 6 Oil Cooler
50-660-7612
RaceFlux Adapter Fittings for Setrab Oil Coolers
2 x RaceFlux -10AN Male Flare to M22 O-Ring Adapter Fitting $8.90
OM-M22-10
Setrab Cooler Brackets
1 x Setrab Series 6 Oil Cooler Mounting Bracket (Also Fits Mocal 235)
ABKT-235
Setrab Oil Cooler Mounting Bracket (Also Fits Mocal)

Part #: ABKT-235
Old 10-21-2020, 06:13 PM   #20
LSA

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice3 View Post
Been battling the jointly rising coolant temps 262+ and Oil Temps 300+ on the first lap with a 2650.
How much power? How much boost?

Which track? Ambient temps?
LSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:26 PM   #21
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I'll preface with I don't have any experience with this driving situation so I have not had to deal with the issues. What I will add is just what I've read about similar issues by Members of the Community that have had experience.

All of those mods' contribute to your issues. The car was validated under STOCK condition. You've altered the supercharger system, the cooling system, the ECM-tune, etc. with all of those mods'. By creating extra power, you've added more heat within the powertrain system and that heat bleeds into a lot of the rest of the car. Those heat exchangers, according to other Members (and I put it that way because they've found aftermarket heat exchangers, including radiators, to be detrimental - NOT brand specific either) don't do anything to help around a road course because they limit air flow and hold heat longer than the OEM set-up.

I wouldn't suggest that I know how to set a car up for anyone else, but it is my opinion that if you want OEM reliability and OEM optimization, you have to keep OEM parts and systems OEM. You've changed that with your mods'. It's your car, and I don't pretend to tell anyone else what they should do with their money, but there are Members still trying to figure this puzzle out, and your set-up is not effective in that regard, on a road course. If you want to beat on the car as Team Camaro demonstrates, then you have to run it the way they ENGINEERED it. That's the key - the car, as a system, is engineered. It is optimized. Unfortunately - your car is not, which is why you face the issues you do.

I only add that to be constructive. I'm not trying to sound like I'm attacking you in any way. This is the reality at this time though. There are others trying to find the solutions you are looking for, too, so I'd encourage you to keep checking in. Cooling system companies/manufacturers don't even have proper solutions yet, according to some Members. There's a magic the OEMs possess that we just don't yet have access to.

It is also my understanding that the ECM, in differing years, also bounce spark control influence from IAT2s to MATs. I thought I read that later ECMs use MATs for spark influence.

Just for clarification

+1
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:55 AM   #22
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
I'm torn between the Improved w/ setrab and the C&R methods.

Unproven, just my thoughts at the moment: the C&R will probably do a better job of cooling the oil when the car is moving, may be an issue in traffic (probably won't be generating much heat though) and not sure how/if IAT will climb faster. Improved method worked well on my 5th gen 1LE, but the ZL1 has the intercooler added to the mix (concerned about stacking too many coolers and airflow through the stack)

I saw a thread once about locating an aux oil cooler 'under' the car, but don't recall where or how it would be mounted.?.

EDIT: I'm unmodified, but high ambient temps for most of the year are my issue. The first session out is the fastest and the car slows down the rest of the day and temps climb.......to the point I get concerned and dial it back
Old 10-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #23
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
+1
Well said!
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:08 AM   #24
juice3

Quote:
How much power? How much boost?

Which track? Ambient temps?

740whp, 18#

VIR, Summit Point.

60-70 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #25
LSA

Did you go from stock power to 740whp, or where there intermediate steps (for track use, ignoring the street)?

My thinking is to use a 2650 to make “only” 625-650 whp. The 2650 is so much more efficient at that power level than the stock blower. I think if that’s the power goal and you can get there with stock headers- just blower, tb, tune- it might be manageable.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:43 AM   #26
juice3

Aftermarket Oil Cooler? Where?

Quote:
Did you go from stock power to 740whp, or where there intermediate steps (for track use, ignoring the street)?

My thinking is to use a 2650 to make “only” 625-650 whp. The 2650 is so much more efficient at that power level than the stock blower. I think if that’s the power goal and you can get there with stock headers- just blower, tb, tune- it might be manageable.

Stock to 740whp; yes.

If you just want 625. Do the JRE 125.

I’m running the car in TT1 and needed the power given the cars weight.

Then do the entire C&R setup.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:50 AM   #27
LSA

Have you been able to test with the C&R setup?
Old 10-25-2020, 09:01 AM   #28
juice3

Quote:
Have you been able to test with the C&R setup?

There’s a forum member that has tested with the set up.

C&R have all the data a lot of logging and lots of information from labs from that customer at VIR. I’ve also talk to everybody from Mark Martin and R stands for race and several others. A secondary oil cooler resolves all the problems.

Being able to put it on the side and replace the secondary heat exchanger it is a huge bonus.

I had my headers done by header shield, they should ship to Jannetty Tuesday or Weds.

Heat is the enemy

Tags
cota, oil cooler, track, zle