Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-22-2020, 09:05 PM   #463
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Ditto. I've made myself a full list of mods I'd want to do to the car if I made the jump to CAM, just to remind myself of how expensive it would be and how much less nice of a street car it would become.

I think it's fine as far as it goes. I would be very tempted to run 18x12 wheels in back and go with 315/335 Rivals or 295/315 A052s (those tires are huge for their nominal size). Those Yoks won't take any time at all to heat up, but they may overheat pretty easily.

Other mods that would be at the top of my list are camber plates for the front (Vorshlag) and some kind of aftermarket toe link for the rear, both of which would allow more negative camber.

I'd mostly go to CAM because if I'm going to invest in new wheels and tires I'd have to stick with 19x10 wheels up front to stay in street class. Also, if I want to use the GM rear diff autox tune that makes the car ineligible for street.

I'm not that worried about being competitive in my class and I don't care about PAX at all. But after driving the car for a while I think the larger wheels/tires and rear diff tune would make the car more fun to drive and it would certainly be much faster. It also wouldn't take away anything from it's use as a street car. With this setup in CAM I'm pretty sure I can beat a vast majority of the Mustangs anyways, I think I could be pretty close to the top of CAM-C in my region without any other mods.

The car does really well in BS bone stock, even with my questionable driving skills... and as long as you can get some heat in those GY SC3s! Last event was a BMW autox, there were about 20 cars in BS, I would have come in 3rd, missed 2nd by a few thousandths. I got 2nd in open (all non-BMWs, class had 17 cars), but that's based on PAX, there were some faster cars in raw time. 1st place was a GT4 on RE71s with a pro driver at the wheel.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:08 PM   #464
CRBWS6

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE SCCA FS, 99 WS-6, E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
It was nice to see Sam make the goodyear competitive. kinda shows it might be worth giving it a shot sometime!
To clarify - was Strano running the OEM 20" SC3? EDIT: Per his youtube channel, was on the OEM tires.

Glad to find this thread. I'm new to the 1LE and this forum, and just ran my 1st event in a new (to me) 1LE this Sunday...on MPS4S...which has led me to immediately shop tires

Our local alien driver runs on the OEM SC3 20" and suggested they are really not much slower than the 305/30/19 RE71R setup.

What sort of time difference have others seen between OEM 20" SC3 and a 19" square RE71R setup?

Last edited by CRBWS6; 09-25-2020 at 11:30 AM.
CRBWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:29 PM   #465
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRBWS6 View Post
To clarify - was Strano running the OEM 20" SC3?

Glad to find this thread. I'm new to the 1LE and this forum, and just ran my 1st event in a new (to me) 1LE this Sunday...on MPS4S...which has led me to immediately shop tires

Our local alien driver runs on the OEM SC3 20" and suggested they are really not much slower than the 305/30/19 RE71R setup.

What sort of time difference have others seen between OEM 20" SC3 and a 19" square RE71R setup?
I see you're in Phoenix. If I lived in Phoenix I'd probably continue to run the OEM GYs. The main issue I have with GYs is slow warm-up. In CO, nights can be cool and if we start runs at 9am the GYs won't warm up at all, and the car is a lot less fun to drive on cold tires. This has pretty much ruined a couple events for me, and made a couple more less fun than it could have been... it's more an issue of spending time and money to drive a car that doesn't handle right than how fast it is for me. The car just understeers to the point trying to drive fast is futile when they're too cold.

IME it needs to be 80+ and sunny for the GYs to work, and then it'll take a couple runs. Mid 90's+ is what it seems to take for them to reach optimal, but when they are, they are really impressive, as is the car.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #466
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Ditto. I've made myself a full list of mods I'd want to do to the car if I made the jump to CAM, just to remind myself of how expensive it would be and how much less nice of a street car it would become.
Yeah, like i wanted 500 na HP just for fun. so cam, e85 some other bits. Would be fun right? lol
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:23 AM   #467
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I'd mostly go to CAM because if I'm going to invest in new wheels and tires I'd have to stick with 19x10 wheels up front to stay in street class. Also, if I want to use the GM rear diff autox tune that makes the car ineligible for street.

I'm not that worried about being competitive in my class and I don't care about PAX at all. But after driving the car for a while I think the larger wheels/tires and rear diff tune would make the car more fun to drive and it would certainly be much faster. It also wouldn't take away anything from it's use as a street car.
Understood, and agreed. I'd still take a hard look at the camber plates and rear toe link. The Vorshlag plates allow you to slam them in at the event for lots of negative camber and then move them back out for street driving.* So the require no compromises. The rear toe link would allow you to get more rear negative camber while still retaining zero rear toe or slight toe in. These would significantly improve your times with no compromise for street driving.

*When you move them in for max camber at the event, you'll also gain some toe out. If you set toe to zero for your street camber, then this could work in your favor because a little toe out seems to increase front grip (at least on my car), but increases inside edge wear in street driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53
Yeah, like i wanted 500 na HP just for fun. so cam, e85 some other bits. Would be fun right? lol
Yes, but on my dreamier days I fantasize about a 480cid LT build from Horsepower Research with around 650-700rwhp on pump gas.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:33 AM   #468
jpaulson

Drives: 2020 SS 1le
Loving my new 1le! I knew I should have ditched the Stang a couple years ago. Here is a video from NWR SCCA event last weekend. Was ~60 degrees and overcast. SC3's took a run or two to warm up but then felt great!

https://youtu.be/I7b13bMQnlg
jpaulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #469
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
I run CAM-C in my '18 with limited mods mostly because I don't want to spend the money. I do fairly well in class when I don't mess up. Driver definitely needs more work. when I'm on my game, I usually PAX in the top 30 of 130ish drivers. Not bad considering all the previous national champs in the Cal Club region. My mods are 19x11 apex wheels, BFG Rivals, Vorschlag Camber plates, GM eLSD tune, and a Mamo PTB. I've thought about going to 18" wheels but some of our courses currently take me to 6400rpm in 2nd gear. Not sure what that would do with 335/18s.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:49 AM   #470
DaveC113

Quote:
Understood, and agreed. I'd still take a hard look at the camber plates and rear toe link. The Vorshlag plates allow you to slam them in at the event for lots of negative camber and then move them back out for street driving.* So the require no compromises. The rear toe link would allow you to get more rear negative camber while still retaining zero rear toe or slight toe in. These would significantly improve your times with no compromise for street driving.

*When you move them in for max camber at the event, you'll also gain some toe out. If you set toe to zero for your street camber, then this could work in your favor because a little toe out seems to increase front grip (at least on my car), but increases inside edge wear in street driving.

Yes, but on my dreamier days I fantasize about a 480cid LT build from Horsepower Research with around 650-700rwhp on pump gas.
Ok, thanks! I'll check out the camber plates and toe link... I'm currently running the GM track alignment and definitely need more camber.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:43 AM   #471
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
I run CAM-C in my '18 with limited mods mostly because I don't want to spend the money. I do fairly well in class when I don't mess up. Driver definitely needs more work. when I'm on my game, I usually PAX in the top 30 of 130ish drivers. Not bad considering all the previous national champs in the Cal Club region. My mods are 19x11 apex wheels, BFG Rivals, Vorschlag Camber plates, GM eLSD tune, and a Mamo PTB. I've thought about going to 18" wheels but some of our courses currently take me to 6400rpm in 2nd gear. Not sure what that would do with 335/18s.
For sure. no offense to anyone in cam but realistically you dont need more power to compete. wheels tires and suspension. you're set.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:35 PM   #472
CRBWS6

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE SCCA FS, 99 WS-6, E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I see you're in Phoenix. If I lived in Phoenix I'd probably continue to run the OEM GYs. The main issue I have with GYs is slow warm-up. In CO, nights can be cool and if we start runs at 9am the GYs won't warm up at all, and the car is a lot less fun to drive on cold tires. T
Thanks for the input. So are the SC3 more adversely affected by cold than the dedicated AutoX tires (RE, BFG)?

It can sometimes be 40-50 deg at 9am in the AZ winters!

I am coming from an STU car on RE71R and would guess there was about 0.5sec penalty by running the A group vs. later groups.
CRBWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:03 PM   #473
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
For sure. no offense to anyone in cam but realistically you dont need more power to compete. wheels tires and suspension. you're set.
Oh, I agree completely. The extra power is for...other times than autocross runs.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:16 PM   #474
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRBWS6 View Post
Thanks for the input. So are the SC3 more adversely affected by cold than the dedicated AutoX tires (RE, BFG)?

It can sometimes be 40-50 deg at 9am in the AZ winters!

I am coming from an STU car on RE71R and would guess there was about 0.5sec penalty by running the A group vs. later groups.
Yeah, it's night and day when cold. Much closer when warm, but if they never warm up you might be better off on all season tires.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:35 PM   #475
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
I really have no desire to get more power other than what could be achieved thru e85 and it's tune. An intake and axle back would just be for my pleasure. I'm not sure if the PTB added any real power gains, I got it for the crisper throttle response on idle when on the street. It does pull a little better to redline but I didn't notice much at the autocross. Right now I'm just trying to work on my driving and tuning the suspension a bit. Gotta try to keep up with the Wongs, they are running CAM locally now instead of ESP.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #476
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Due to oil pump boom, I need to get alignment redone - what is consensus on toe in vs toe out at the front ?

GM track setup seems to indicate positive toe.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote