Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 01-31-2018, 11:33 AM   #1
Jdfromga

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
My 2013 3.6 RS Build Thread

I just want to start something where I will be able to track the different mods I've done, and am going to do, to my car.

I bought it almost 2 years ago already, and have been slacking at getting things done, so I've decided now I am going to start making the changes I've been wanting to do.

So far, all that is done is I added a K&N intake,Flowmaster cat-back exhaust and tinted the windows a little darker. The CAI and exhaust actually did help the car sound much sportier and I've been very happy with ever since. Eventually, I will probably change out the down-pipes too, but I'm not in any rush to do that since I like how it sounds now.

Near future updates will be painting the engine cover and adding a vitesse throttle controller. Both are already ordered.

I also want to change out the hood, to add some attitude and am probably going to go with one that has the slots on both slides, carbon fiber. I'm thinking of keeping it black, then painting the sides of the cowl, and the vents of the slots to match the car color and add some black stripes along the length of the body to accent the black from the hood.

A down the road idea is to change out the rear spoiler to black carbon fiber, to match the hood.

Also want to upgrade the brakes, and add color matching calipers. Replace the wheels with a matte black style of some sort, with the edges of the spokes color matched.

As for the engine, since it's the v6 I know there isn't a whole lot to do, so I will be getting it tuned, just to unlock the little bit of power that is still there, and probably add a ported throttle body. I change my mind on a daily basis whether I want to turbo it, or supercharge it, or leave it alone. So, since I can't settle on one, I figure the best course of action is none until I do get that "I have to do this" feeling.

Anyway, I know this car isn't as modded out as most on here, but I pretty much wanted a record of changes for myself. I'm always open to any tips, ideas, etc you guys might have, so feel free to post any you have.
Attached Images

Jdfromga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
Jdfromga

Well, I went ahead and ordered a ported intake manifold with a spacer.

I had emailed Phil down at Tampa Tuning to get an appointment set up to have engine tuned, and I figured if I am going to do that, I might as well get those on the engine first. And i've emailed vmax about getting a Ported body from them, so hopefully I hear back soon and can get that order processing too so I can just do it at once.

Oh, I also ordered this bad ass hood --- https://www.carid.com/vis-racing/ter...leid=322717529

Once all these toys start arriving, I'll post some pics of the install before and afters.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
Jdfromga

Got the throttle controller yesterday and installed it after work. Only took a few minutes, and was pretty easy except for trying to bend under the dash to see what I was doing.

But, it was definitely worth it! Cranked it up to 9 and, wow! What a difference!

Got the throttle body today. Gonna wait on the manifold to get here and just do it all at once.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Looking good so far!

I hear ya about dragging your feet. I'm sitting at 1.5 years with only doing a CAI and PTB. More in the works though (brakes, grip, a little more go).

I like the sound of a good size V6 with a nice exhaust. I've watched some vids of the 3.6 Camaro and it sounds gooood.

My favorite V6 sound to date is from VW/Audi - either the VR6, or the 2.7 V6 from the Audi (twin turbo). But I'm weird like that.

The only thing I don't like is the sound of is a 4cyl. I've had several fun and capable 4cylinder hot hatches but they sound so meh.

Anyway...sorry for the tangent. Good luck with the mods!
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
Jdfromga

Yeah me and my son were just talking about the 4 cylinder turbos the other day. He has a 4cyl turbo mustang (YES I know, I've failed as a good father..) and he was complaining how all the exhaust options sounded so shreekish....told him he's never gonna gonna get any good exhaust out of it.

My 6 though, with the flowmaster on it, sounds pretty decent. Nice low rumble on cold start and in high rpms it doesn't get too high. Maybe I'll take video so you can can hear it for yourselves.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
Jdfromga

OK, so i decided to DIY my engine cover, as you can see in the pics I just started by doing a good degreaser, taped the center and then started the painting.

I put down the primer, then the basecoat, but skipped the midcoat because I wanted it to be more of 'matte' then gloss in the engine compartment. I did finish it off with clearcoat though, just to protect the paint. I did not buff out the clearcoat either.

And as you can see in the final pics,,,,now i really need to clean my engine bay and finish painting the other covers.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jdfromga; 02-16-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #7
Jdfromga

And I got my new hood on!!

VIS Terminator carbon fiber, took the inserts out and painted them to match the car, and next week I have an appointment to get carbon fiber stripes down the side of the door in the rocker panel indent, then up on the rear fender wrapping the entire spoiler. Will post some more pics when I get that done!

And my vmaxx throttle body is here, and my ported manifold shipped out today, so I should be able to get those on next week too!
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2018, 03:35 PM   #8
Jdfromga

Got back from the shop with the new wrap on! I got carbon fiber wrap on the sides, top of rear fenders and followed the body line to the spoiler, and completely wrapped that..very happy with the way it turned out.

This weekend I'm putting on the vmax throttle body and the ported manifold with riser, by jacfab,,,progress progress progess
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
Jdfromga

This last weekend I put my Vmax throttle body and Jacfab ported mainfold with their spacer on the car -- I don't know what actual difference it made in gains, but it sure does feel quicker. Whether or not that is just a placebo affect, I don't know -- lol..but, now, to find a place to get a good tune and some dyno numbers. By my calculations, I should at least be over the 300hp mark to the wheels now
Old 03-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #10
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Loving that hood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdfromga View Post
By my calculations, I should at least be over the 300hp mark to the wheels now
I don't think any NA LFX cars are over 300whp without switching to e85, high-flow downpipes, and having a good tune. Perhaps if you have e85 in your area, that's the next mod.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #11
Jdfromga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Loving that hood!

I don't think any NA LFX cars are over 300whp without switching to e85, high-flow downpipes, and having a good tune. Perhaps if you have e85 in your area, that's the next mod.

Thanks, I get compliments on the hood everywhere I go!

And yeah, I really don't think I'm over 300rwhp at the moment, but with a decent tune I can probably get really close....I think I see a supercharger in my near future.....
Old 03-07-2018, 01:26 AM   #12
PowerCreep

Drives: '14 SS 509.5 RWHP
Love the hood! Looks great!
PowerCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #13
Tech@Flowmaster

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdfromga View Post
I just want to start something where I will be able to track the different mods I've done, and am going to do, to my car.

I bought it almost 2 years ago already, and have been slacking at getting things done, so I've decided now I am going to start making the changes I've been wanting to do.

So far, all that is done is I added a K&N intake,Flowmaster cat-back exhaust and tinted the windows a little darker. The CAI and exhaust actually did help the car sound much sportier and I've been very happy with ever since. Eventually, I will probably change out the down-pipes too, but I'm not in any rush to do that since I like how it sounds now.

Near future updates will be painting the engine cover and adding a vitesse throttle controller. Both are already ordered.

I also want to change out the hood, to add some attitude and am probably going to go with one that has the slots on both slides, carbon fiber. I'm thinking of keeping it black, then painting the sides of the cowl, and the vents of the slots to match the car color and add some black stripes along the length of the body to accent the black from the hood.

A down the road idea is to change out the rear spoiler to black carbon fiber, to match the hood.

Also want to upgrade the brakes, and add color matching calipers. Replace the wheels with a matte black style of some sort, with the edges of the spokes color matched.

As for the engine, since it's the v6 I know there isn't a whole lot to do, so I will be getting it tuned, just to unlock the little bit of power that is still there, and probably add a ported throttle body. I change my mind on a daily basis whether I want to turbo it, or supercharge it, or leave it alone. So, since I can't settle on one, I figure the best course of action is none until I do get that "I have to do this" feeling.

Anyway, I know this car isn't as modded out as most on here, but I pretty much wanted a record of changes for myself. I'm always open to any tips, ideas, etc you guys might have, so feel free to post any you have.
Came across your posts and just wanted to say your Camaro looks gorgeous! Love all that beautiful carbon fiber. How’s the Cat-back treating you?
Tech@Flowmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #14
Jdfromga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech@Flowmaster View Post
Came across your posts and just wanted to say your Camaro looks gorgeous! Love all that beautiful carbon fiber. How’s the Cat-back treating you?

Loving that exhaust. I got American Thunder and sure, even though it's just a v6, it sounds great. I get compliments all the time on it.