Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #1
alrock

Drives: 2015 Camaro Convertible 2SS RS
Anker Roav dash cam - video test

I installed a dashcam into my DD this week and here's the video test. I did hardwire the unit using a standard wiring kit that brings it down to 5V from the vehicles 12V system. I used a fuse tap so that the dashcam turns on and off automatically with the ignition. Only took about 15 minutes to install and do the wiring.

I like that the Anker uses a sticky mount vs. suction cup to mount to the dash and the camera is easily dismounted when necessary. I have this tucked behind the rear view mirror so it's not distracting inside and barely visible outside.

Anker Roav Dashcam
32gb micro SD Card
Wiring Kit

The video first shows it in bright sunlight and second shows the performance at dusk

alrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:40 PM   #2
rotwiler
ruff ruff

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Looks really good, think I want one now.
2010 2SS/RS, XO Verona wheels, BC coilovers oem ZL1 bumper conversion Kenwood ddx9905s, maestro, Kenwood xr1s, xr4s, kappa 1200w,subs, Kenwood xr comps and rear deck speakers, long tubes, hf cats, speed secrets tune, custom exhaust, CAI, blacked out everything.
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:41 PM   #3
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Get the Falcon Zero HD touch screen. You'll thank me later.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
Valkyrja
Shieldmaiden

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2LT/RS
Minor necro-thread resurrection thinga-ma-bob. No, Bob, not you.

Anyways, I picked up the Anker produced Roav cam as well and did a quick road test with it yesterday. Other than spacing out on the setting for the test (720p @ 30 fps, since updated to 60 fps) and setting it where it can be a pain to pop it off of the mount, things went well.

I have since adjusted the lens down a notch (it can rotate up and down) and adjusted the suction cup smartphone mount and USB power to keep everything a bit more organized and easily reached/viewed. The compression on YT really does not do the vid justice, looks much better on the laptop. Pulling video off of the cam can be done with an app and phone wifi which eliminates the need to un-mount the unit or eject the media. If you use the 10 minute clips rather than the 3 minute clip option it might take some time though plus storage space may be an issue for you.

Unlike the op, I used the crowbar and am just using the 12V system in the car. Starting this year the car is going to be stored 4+ months a year and the cable is tucked up out of the way. I probably mounted it a bit lower than the OP, it is noticeable in the windshield if you really look for it but the screen is still well hidden behind the rv mirror.

I did a night time test too but it included pulling into a family member's house and I do not have editing software setup on my new system yet. It is a bit rainy tonight so I might have another one later to use for comparison. If you want one of these, keep an eye on the Kinja deals blog. I saved about $20 on Amazon when Anker had a discount code out and about.
Valkyrja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
houtx

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I have the Anker Roav too and I got it so I don't have to take it out of my car to export videos. You can easily do it using your phone.
houtx is offline   Reply With Quote