Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 07-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #1
zryan

Drives: 1973 z28 Rs, 2018 SS 1LE
6.2L Lt1 SB v8 Power Potential General Discussion

Hey all, I've recently ordered a 1ss 1le camaro. My brother has a 2015 Mustang GT but recently got the whipple stage 2. He has half shafts, driveshaft, clutch, flywheel, and exhaust but can reach 750 wheel horsepower. That is absurd. I have yet to see any 6th gens near this number with similar modifications. Maybe I am not looking hard enough. Has anyone made it close to 750whp with similar modifications?

*SideNote* I am a noob so if I have done something wrong please inform me!

Last edited by zryan; 07-06-2017 at 09:46 AM.
zryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #2
Casalino

Drives: 17' 1LE BLK
I don't have any examples or proof, but from experience that's reachable.

I'm going to pick your brain now. If this is a race between you and your brother over who has the highest horsepower number, why did you pick the 1LE? It's made for the track. Putting that kind of horsepower in a 1LE defeats its purpose. Some people on here bought them for the looks or because the handling is just so much better than any other competitive muscle cars. Back to the horsepower. If this is race for the most horsepower, why didn't you pick a 1SS and mod the hell out of it? Maybe mopar could reach those numbers as well? (i don't know much about dodge's and modifications)

Also, maybe find out some info on the dyno your brother used. And if it is really 780 to the wheels. 650whp I would believe. And you wrote, "but can reach 780 wheel horsepower" Did your brother tell you his car CAN REACH 780whp? or HAS 780whp???
Casalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #3
zryan

This is number is tentative based on other cars that have dyno'd with his exact same set up. He will of course have different numbers but we can safely bet he will have around 720-750 rear wheel horsepower. 780 was a typo I apologize. I bought the 1le for its cornering capabilities, I have never been into the straight line business. That being said he is a pain in my butt (telling me ill always be slower). Nobody wins these games but you know brothers right? Regardless, I am mostly curious as to why the 5.0 cayote can reach these numbers but with current supercharger systems our LT1s manage 500-650.

I also have a 73 z28 which could be used to do the job. That might be my best option IF I choose to play this game.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #4
Casalino

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryan View Post
This is number is tentative based on other cars that have dyno'd with his exact same set up. He will of course have different numbers but we can safely bet he will have around 720-750 rear wheel horsepower. 780 was a typo I apologize. I bought the 1le for its cornering capabilities, I have never been into the straight line business. That being said he is a pain in my butt (telling me ill always be slower). Nobody wins these games but you know brothers right? Regardless, I am mostly curious as to why the 5.0 cayote can reach these numbers but with current supercharger systems our LT1s manage 500-650.

I also have a 73 z28 which could be used to do the job. That might be my best option IF I choose to play this game.
I would keep the 1LE the way it is. At least for now. You have a new car, under warranty that can be taken to the track and DEMOLISH any mustang your brother will brag about. When you start putting it through corners you won't want more power. The straights you will want more, don't we all? I'm keeping mine bone stock until the warranty is over. After that i want 500whp N/A like the 5th gen Z28. The beauty of the 1LE is the naturally aspirated big displacement. like i said, butcher a 1SS if you want to play those games.

Also the LT's put down much more torque than the coyotes. Don't let a mustang fanboy change the facts in your mind. The reason your brother put all that horsepower in his car is to brag. Because a 2015 mustang gt is NOTHING to brag about. The only way he can feel happy that he has his gt when there are tons of better muscle cars is by making more power. I would challenge him with your stock 1LE and shut him up on the first turn.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
zryan

You've re-inspired me Casalino. All of that is entirely true. I'll let him win the horsepower game in favor of better handling. I'd still like to see some LT1's with 750 rear wheel horsepower LOL! Feel free to add more to this discussion guys!
Old 07-06-2017, 10:33 AM   #6
Casalino

Any time brother. I can tell you they did a yenko 6th gen camaro with 800 horsepower using a supercharger. Putting forced induction on these basically guarantees you minimum 600 to the wheels. But believe me, as you drive this 1LE you won't want that. When you're brother brags about all that power you can tell him that you're car puts the same times down on a track as a ferrari 458, gtr, 911 gt3, m4gts or his beloved gt350R which is 2 or 3 times as expensive. All of this while being covered under warranty and the ability to drive much smoother on the road than any of those cars could dream about. Tell him all the diff, trans and oil coolers your car has that his doesn't. Or how you're front tires are wider than most car's rears. Or the wonderful tremec 6 speed, PDR recorder, E-LSD and magnetic dampers. He might have more power but that don't mean shit. You have the better car plain and simple and i'd love to hear what he says about that
Old 07-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #7
WhiteNight

Drives: MB 1SS
The cyote engines reach high horsepower levels due to the extra RPM that they spin. However they lack torque. A 6th gen can hit 750 or whatever, but even if it doesn't it will still make more torque, and torque wins races.
WhiteNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #8
rootus

Drives: 2018 HBM SS 1LE
There are so many factors. The stage 2 whipple is 2.9L in both cases, so perhaps it isn't as well suited to feed the 6.2L LT1 as it is the 5.0L. A quick glance at Whipple's site suggests the LT1 kit makes a bit more torque, a bit less horsepower. So they're getting the 5.0L to wind up a little higher for the peak horsepower number.

Personally I'd leave it stock, or maybe do bolt-ons for fun. But I'm middle aged and my priorities have changed. I've owned cars with 500+ rwhp back when that still seemed like a lot, and it was not life changing. And I've owned little four door sedans with 305 horsepower that put a silly grin on my face in the twisties. I used to school most all C6 Vettes at the track (road course, not 1/4) back when I had my first STI, and it was only stage 2. Going fast is more than just power, and IMO the nice thing about the current 1LE is how incredibly balanced it is. Such a great match between power, brakes, and handling. I think I've lost my taste for heavily modified cars. Which isn't to say you shouldn't do it, of course . Just post pictures and impressions along the way, please .
rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #9
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
invite him to the track and annihilate him! you will feel better!
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #10
zryan

Thanks for all the good commentary. Sounds like the odds are in our favor whichever path we choose. Good to know our engines have the torque advantage. Does anyone know how much power the tremec 6-speed is capable of handling?
Old 07-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #11
Casalino

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryan View Post
Thanks for all the good commentary. Sounds like the odds are in our favor whichever path we choose. Good to know our engines have the torque advantage. Does anyone know how much power the tremec 6-speed is capable of handling?
It is clearly in our favor. These are legendary motors for a reason. The new LT1 or LT4's are regarded as some of the best motors in the world. period. The transmission in the 1LE (different than the 1 or 2SS) is a Tremec TR6060 ***thanks for correcting me its throughout all camaros*** . Some quick googling i discovered it is used throughout a wide range of performance muscle cars. Vipers, Hellcats, Shelby GT500 etc... That might answer most of your question about handling power. I think you would have to worry about other things supporting all that power before the tranny. Fuel pumps, driveshafts etc...

Last edited by Casalino; 07-06-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #12
rootus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casalino View Post
The transmission in the 1LE (different than the 1 or 2SS) is a Tremec TR6060
Where did you hear that the 1LE has a different transmission? AFAIK, all SS models use the same TR-6060 (C) rated at 560 lb-ft. The 1LE has a slightly shorter gear ratio in the rear differential, but that's completely separate.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #13
Casalino

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootus View Post
Where did you hear that the 1LE has a different transmission? AFAIK, all SS models use the same TR-6060 (C) rated at 560 lb-ft. The 1LE has a slightly shorter gear ratio in the rear differential, but that's completely separate.
I was under the impression the 1LE had a different tranny. Definitely correct me if i'm wrong. I do know the 1LE has a short shifter kit.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #14
rootus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casalino View Post
I was under the impression the 1LE had a different tranny. Definitely correct me if i'm wrong. I do know the 1LE has a short shifter kit.
I believe it was different for the Gen5 Camaro, but I cannot find anything that suggests it is different for Gen6.

Edit: Looking at a reference I found, it seems like the Gen6 SS has the same ratios as the Gen5 SS 1LE, but with a 3.73 rear. And Chevy says the 2017 1LE has the same 3.73 rear.

Tags
engine, forced induction, horsepower, modifications