Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-30-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
Valkyrja
Shieldmaiden

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2LT/RS
Rear differential fluid - 2014 V6 manual trans

Had my oil change done the other day and since the rear diff had not been done in awhile I had that done too. The car does not get driven much lately so a few days later I took her out for errands and noted what sounded like a rubbing noise coming from the back during slow and tight left-hand turns.

The fluid used was Valvoline 75W90 which is supposed to have an additive already in it.

Anyone use this gear oil? Any issues?

Any ideas what else it might be? I just find the timing a bit odd since it started right after the change.

If I redo the gear fluid any recommendations for both gear oil and additive?

Thanks!
Valkyrja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
They didn't put it through the figure 8s as required.

It's getting harder than ever to find enough room to complete a procedure like that.

It should work itself out in daily driving but will take more time than being able to run it through the course as directed.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Want to read a good one?

We arrived near home from a 2500 mile road trip and when I exited the expressway I had the exact same noise.

I found a divided, nearly deserted road. I started swerving right and left at a low speed ~30MPH, and my wife asked "What are you doing?"

Fixed the noise and cleaned off my tires.

Last edited by CamaroFred; 07-30-2017 at 04:58 PM.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
Valkyrja
Shieldmaiden

LOL, that is awesome. Thank you for the reply. I never had a car where I had to have rear differential fluid. Two years in and I still love the Camaro so and love learning new things. Guess I will need to hit some nearby windy roads at the actual speed limit posted rather than what I normally drive at.

I had read about the figure 8s before but it was always in reference to the TSB issued on the older Camaros, did not know it was something that still persists.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
Valkyrja
Shieldmaiden

Just a quick update: sound actually got worse even after another 600 miles so I took it in to a dealer to have it (and my brakes) checked out. Paid way too much to have it changed out again but it was worth it to find out the rear is fine, the brake pads are in excellent shape (even after 51K on the original pads), and the sound is about non-existent now.

This will fall under an either I will learn to do or let the dealer do in the future maintenance item. Now to think about doing the CAI and replacing the cabin filter in the next couple of weeks.