Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
Bayles76

Drives: 16 Summit 2SS, 92 Arctic Formula
LT2 vs LT5

Just hear me out. We haven't heard much about the new LT2 that will be the base power plant for the C8. That is supposed to be a N/A 500ish hp tuned up LT1. What if they did keep the naturally aspirated idea like the previous gen Z/28 and instead of the LT5 they used the LT2?

I haven't read anyone else mention this but it makes sense to me. The only thing I would find hard to believe with this concept is the Z/28 car having the same heart as the new C8. I don't necessarily believe GM would allow that to happen.

A 6th gen, stripped out, more powerful NA Camaro than the SS but not as much power as the ZL1 (Just like 5th gen) and lighter than SS and ZL1. This is just an idea that hit me this morning.

Do I think it will actually happen? most likely not....

But what if they did?
Old 05-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayles76 View Post
Just hear me out. We haven't heard much about the new LT2 that will be the base power plant for the C8. That is supposed to be a N/A 500ish hp tuned up LT1. What if they did keep the naturally aspirated idea like the previous gen Z/28 and instead of the LT5 they used the LT2?

I haven't read anyone else mention this but it makes sense to me. The only thing I would find hard to believe with this concept is the Z/28 car having the same heart as the new C8. I don't necessarily believe GM would allow that to happen.

A 6th gen, stripped out, more powerful NA Camaro than the SS but not as much power as the ZL1 (Just like 5th gen) and lighter than SS and ZL1. This is just an idea that hit me this morning.

Do I think it will actually happen? most likely not....

But what if they did?
It's not happening....

1.) The LT2 will most likely power the next generation Camaro...
2.) GM is not going to make the same mistakes twice by creating a stripper version Z/28
3.) They also wont basically create a more powerful SS 1LE

The reality is that the Z/28 is essentially dead in this environment... and short of them throwing an LT1 with a power bump into the ZL1 1LE setup... I don't see them ever building a 6th gen Z/28...
Old 05-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
It's not happening....

1.) The LT2 will most likely power the next generation Camaro...
2.) GM is not going to make the same mistakes twice by creating a stripper version Z/28
3.) They also wont basically create a more powerful SS 1LE

The reality is that the Z/28 is essentially dead in this environment... and short of them throwing an LT1 with a power bump into the ZL1 1LE setup... I don't see them ever building a 6th gen Z/28...
I have to agree with this ^ A similar thought hit me in the GT500 vs ZL1 thread.

The ZL1 as a grand tourer and with the 1LE track pack is such an amazing track car that does having a less powerful track car that isn't as good as the ZL1/ZLE make sense from a business point? As Blaq likes to say a track car that isn't as good on the track lol.

The 5th gen Z/28 really kind of screwed the pooch on a future Z/28. It was the top of the food chain, best performing track camaro.

I don't see any way they make a NA powered camaro outperform the ZLE. Yes they did in the 5th gen, but did it by making it 300 lbs lighter and were only down 75hp.

There are only 2 ways I see a 6th gen Z being possible.

Like you mentioned, a hot LT1 in a ZLE set up. It would be better than a SS 1LE, but not as good as teh ZL1 and would cater to the NA track guys.

Or if they just said screw the history and all the BS we spewed out with the 5th gen car and stick the LT5 in it.(which I don't see happening)
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #4
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I have to agree with this ^ A similar thought hit me in the GT500 vs ZL1 thread.

The ZL1 as a grand tourer and with the 1LE track pack is such an amazing track car that does having a less powerful track car that isn't as good as the ZL1/ZLE make sense from a business point? As Blaq likes to say a track car that isn't as good on the track lol.

The 5th gen Z/28 really kind of screwed the pooch on a future Z/28. It was the top of the food chain, best performing track camaro.

I don't see any way they make a NA powered camaro outperform the ZLE. Yes they did in the 5th gen, but did it by making it 300 lbs lighter and were only down 75hp.

There are only 2 ways I see a 6th gen Z being possible.

Like you mentioned, a hot LT1 in a ZLE set up. It would be better than a SS 1LE, but not as good as teh ZL1 and would cater to the NA track guys.

Or if they just said screw the history and all the BS we spewed out with the 5th gen car and stick the LT5 in it.(which I don't see happening)
Exactly....

The real history of the Z/28 is basically what the SS 1LE has become....a proven road course handling machine but not as fast in a straight line as the SS. Would I be upset if they threw a hot LT1 into the ZLE setup and offered it as a Z/28? Not at all...

But if they offered it as the ZLE only and with an LT5? You'd probably have a lot of pissed of people looking to move away from Chevy....and I can't imagine GM wants that at all...
Old 05-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #5
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I take this image, with the "1"s forming a slash, to signify that the ZL1 1LE replaced the Z/28.

Purist couldn't abide a forced induction Z/28 so they retired the name.

I agree that the SS 1LE should have been Z/28 but the gen5 Z/28 is a hard act to follow naturally aspirated.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Original ZL1 Camaro wasn't even a small block let alone a blown small block.
Present ZL1 1LE is most likely the top of the food chain Camaro wise. The addition of the A10 is the icing on the cake. They could possibly build a drag friendly car but it's going to be a major challenge to improve on the 1LE chassis.
I think the Z28 is done.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Rumor has it the LT2 will be a 495BHP which is an LT1 with a different intake and cam out of the box. The LT3 will be a 510BHP 402ci that is currently found on gas powered HD trucks 6.6L engines. LT3 will be aluminum vs the L8T Iron block.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:15 PM   #8
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Rumor has it the LT2 will be a 495BHP which is an LT1 with a different intake and cam out of the box. The LT3 will be a 510BHP 402ci that is currently found on gas powered HD trucks 6.6L engines. LT3 will be aluminum vs the L8T Iron block.
Curious where you've heard those rumors? Not tryin to hate, just always lookin for more info. So LT3 "396" SS and then maybe move from 5.3 to 5.7 and make "350" SS again? 😁 I don't see why 495 hp LT2 and then too close for comfort 510 hp LT3 though.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:43 PM   #9
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaperSS View Post
Curious where you've heard those rumors? Not tryin to hate, just always lookin for more info. So LT3 "396" SS and then maybe move from 5.3 to 5.7 and make "350" SS again? �� I don't see why 495 hp LT2 and then too close for comfort 510 hp LT3 though.
The LT3 will be a "400ci" 4.065 bore x 3.860 stroke, these were shared by GM Performance staff at PRI 2018. They would say it "Rumor has it" then in February the 2020 engine specs were released just like they mentioned. The LT2 is replacing the LT1s and LT3 will be targeted for C8 cars.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:50 PM   #10
Brettmess24

Drives: 17 C7 GS WGG
LT2 vs LT5

The Corvette and Camaro share the same motors........

Forget the NA Z28, sorry but it won’t compete any longer in that form.

The LT5 Z28 makes so much sense you all are blinded by the past! Why is this a bad thing?

I own a ZLE and would be happy if GM added the LT5 and named it the Z28 simply to crush the GT500 if it can even beat the ZLE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brettmess24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:09 AM   #11
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettmess24 View Post

The LT5 Z28 makes so much sense you all are blinded by the past! Why is this a bad thing?

I own a ZLE and would be happy if GM added the LT5 and named it the Z28 simply to crush the GT500 if it can even beat the ZLE

I think many people would love to see the LT5 in camaro. The problem with the whole heritage thing is that it was GM that made such a big deal about it with the 5th gen. The 5th gen ZL1 was supposed to be called the Z28 but late they realized it didn't "fit" the heritage of the Z28. Then they got into this whole stupid / or no / and how they are different and how a Z/28 should be a high revving NA engine
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:49 AM   #12
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:

How does it make sense? The Z/28 was never the most powerful Camaro and never competed with the GT500.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #13
Brettmess24

Drives: 17 C7 GS WGG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
How does it make sense? The Z/28 was never the most powerful Camaro and never competed with the GT500.

Because GM and Ford have flipped the script on the single purpose Camaro and Mustang. Camaro no longer plays the little brother to the Corvette with restricted engines and lesser tech.

The GT500 is no longer a straight line car.

Brettmess24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:17 PM   #14
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Because GM and Ford have flipped the script on the single purpose Camaro and Mustang. Camaro no longer plays the little brother to the Corvette with restricted engines and lesser tech.

The GT500 is no longer a straight line car.
Problem is that a naturally aspirated engine is not enough to compete with the top track cars and the SS 1LE already fills the mid level niche.

The Z/28 needs to be forced induction ...or replace the SS 1LE in the NA V8 segment ...or be retired.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concept, lt2, lt5, z/28