Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #15
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Yes, wasn't assuming they put in springs that dont match other basic components needed to handle a rare over-rev event. Maybe what all the good shops do when they upgrade springs and lifters, at least to handle a mishap like mechanical over-rev with a manual or whatever the OP is describing here.

Even if the engine isn't designed and tuned to go to 7500-8000 it would be good to have a safety buffer if it did.
Especially if the total increased costs are minimal...seems like a no brainer & benefit for GM.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #16
Ebbsnflows

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
I dont understand why OEMs dont always use high rev springs with 9-10K RPM capability on car like this to avoid that kind of damage, keeping rev limit 3k RPM below the spring's capability. This might cost them an extra $100 to include.
Not high-jack the OP's thread...

But unfortunately it's a bit more complicated (and costly) to GM than simply upgrading to a stiffer valve-spring to support higher-revs. Because the valve-train works as a complimentary system of matched components - upgrading to a spring capable of handling 8-9k RPM, also involves upgrading the lifters. I've never pressure tested a stock hydraulic lifter, but I would imagine that the lift pressures for a 9K rpm capable-spring would eventually collapse the existing stock hydraulic units - it wouldn't be a matter of "if", but "when". Then course then you're upgrading to stronger pushrods and rocker-arms as well. I've bent more than my share of pushrods (on LS-based motors) - it doesn't take much.

Finally GM has to consider the fuel-economy penalty associated with the increased resistance of a stiffer spring. While that may not matter to most of us - as a manufacturer, every single mpg could mean life-or-death for a product.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #17
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
I tried my best to make it clear that I wasn't trying to create a higher revving ZL1, or upgrade the ZL1 valve-train for sustained high RPM capability or raising the RPM limiter AT ALL, just to protect it during the unlikely event that an M6 owner downshifted too low or an A10 had an issue like this, so the valves don't float and hit the pistons. If they have to upgrade the lifters too, well worth the better protection.

With my Evo X, it was pretty simple to add GSC single high rev springs and go from stock 7600 RPM capability to over 9000. No change in lifters or anything else in valve-train, except cams

With these 9500 RPM springs I was able to raise my rev limit on my built motor 2.0 to 8700, and it spun like a top with zero issues for several years and many great track days. I doubt the effect from higher rated springs on gas mileage with the ZL1, if any, would be noticeable.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote