#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-05-2019, 06:00 PM   #15
ZEE0HSIX

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 3LZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
My ZLE never overheats at all even on a warm day after 20 minutes on a twisty road course. Are you guys buying these 160 T-stats because you have big heat generating power mods like pullies?

If you're car overheats too much, the head and/or block can easily warp. Also, do you get tuned after the T-stat mod? The change in engine temp is intertwined with ECU MAP table things like optimal timing and boost at a certain temp/load. You need to tune for the changed temp.
Yes we were actually just tuned in the same week at JRE. Ted changed all the fan temps, desired engine temp etc in the tune.

The MAT calculation is based on engine temp, IAT2, and ambient temp. There is a ton of timing pulled when the engine temp is 210ish. Running a colder stat helps with the calculation, plus with my Z06, airflow is not as good as the Camaro guys. My car is making ~700 rwhp, so keeping it cool is good thing. I am anticipating engine damage when I do testing/disassembly tomorrow.
20 Cadillac XT6
ZEE0HSIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #16
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Common Problem.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:32 PM   #17
ZEE0HSIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
Common Problem.
The kicker is I ordered the new thicker 19 Z06 Radiator and a Katech stat to be safe just yesterday...cooked it today. Can't make this shit up.
20 Cadillac XT6
Old 06-05-2019, 07:51 PM   #18
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEE0HSIX View Post
The kicker is I ordered the new thicker 19 Z06 Radiator and a Katech stat to be safe just yesterday...cooked it today. Can't make this shit up.
Man that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the Katech stat lasts. These thermostat failures seem very common. Think I’ll stay away from that mod until a reliable one is found.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:11 PM   #19
F419sr1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
My ZLE never overheats at all even on a warm day after 20 minutes on a twisty road course. Are you guys buying these 160 T-stats because you have big heat generating power mods like pullies?

If you're car overheats too much, the head and/or block can easily warp. Also, do you get tuned after the T-stat mod? The change in engine temp is intertwined with ECU MAP table things like optimal timing and boost at a certain temp/load. You need to tune for the changed temp.
It’s what the tuners want. Its a problem with certain stats not the car itself. Jannetty recommended a Jet stat.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:15 PM   #20
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
Man that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the Katech stat lasts. These thermostat failures seem very common. Think I’ll stay away from that mod until a reliable one is found.
Given Katech’s close working relationship with GM, it’s the only one I would use, bar none. The Mishimoto/Weapon X/etc ones are not worth the gamble IMO. Too many horror stories.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:48 PM   #21
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Yep I agree if I would be trying one it would be Katechs first. But unfortunately you never know. I hope the Katechs reliability is far better.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #22
ZEE0HSIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEE0HSIX View Post
Yes we were actually just tuned in the same week at JRE. Ted changed all the fan temps, desired engine temp etc in the tune.

The MAT calculation is based on engine temp, IAT2, and ambient temp. There is a ton of timing pulled when the engine temp is 210ish. Running a colder stat helps with the calculation, plus with my Z06, airflow is not as good as the Camaro guys. My car is making ~700 rwhp, so keeping it cool is good thing. I am anticipating engine damage when I do testing/disassembly tomorrow.
Well the good news is the only thing that failed was the coolant reservoir. It warped enough to make the fill hole out of round. The coolant is spewing from the overflow because the lower o-ring on the cap can't seal. I have a new reservoir being overnighted. I have just the engine on a pressure test, and it's been holding 15 psi for a bit. I think I may have dodged a bullet. Still waiting for a response from Weapon X. I am hoping they will at least just refund me for the stat. I know they didn't do it intentionally, but I would expect it to last more than 5 hours.
20 Cadillac XT6
Old 09-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #23
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Just thought it would be good to revive this thread with some info..

Ever since Katech came out with their Thermostats and mentioned the reasoning behind developing their own was because there were too many of the "Other" guys thermostats failing.

Well I happen to have one of those "Other" guys brands. Almost exactly 1 year ago I bought a Mishimoto 160 Tstat. My car is properly tuned for a lower Tstat and never any issues and then suddenly I started seeing threads like this one about them failing.

Well last week I noticed my coolant fans were really on HIGH all the time. At first I just thought probably because im in stop and go traffic and it's hot as balls but by the next day I actually looked at my coolant temp on my Aeroforce gauge and noticed it was way above what it normally is. Especially on the highway it's usually 175-178 tops. This time it was closer to 200 so I assumed my Mishimoto was dying and ordered a Katech Tstat.

Here is the Mishimoto below. The Katech was installed and everything is back to normal. The point of this post is if you have an MM Tstat. Go ahead and get it replaced since it appears it's true that it's not really IF but When it will fail. .
Attached Images

Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote