Old 07-16-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
John Stanley

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Stealth mode on the NPP now I guess
John Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
V8RWD

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th
I agree with this move. I don't live in Toronto, but there's some fuking acehole in a BMW 440i that drives my house every other night, with extremely loud POP CRACKLE tune. It basically sounds like a machine gun and has woke up my daughter at 2:30AM.

Sure, I'm a car guy too. I love nice sounding exhaust, and I like to open my window to hear it. But ripping through residential area in wide open throttle in 1st/2nd gear, or downtown where people are crowded, that's just straight up acehole move and deserves a much higher ticket IMO.

My only worry is that I hope cops cannot randomly pull people over with this very opinionated law. Unless they are start equipping cops with decibel meters...
V8RWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #4
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
I was at a pop-up car meet near the 400 and 407 last week that I've never been to before. Worst car meet I've ever been to in my life! After about 50 cars showed up a "two-step" sound-off started. For those unfamiliar with "two-step", it basically means inducing a backfire through some engine tuning. If you're near by, it's deafening to the point of being literally physically painful. Now picture a dozen cars doing this repeatedly, all at once for 5 minutes! I had to abandon my car and walk away until it was over. It's this kind of moronic behaviour that ruins it for everyone! But these f'ing idiots are too self-centered to care. Absolutely pathetic!
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #5
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8RWD View Post
I agree with this move. I don't live in Toronto, but there's some fuking acehole in a BMW 440i that drives my house every other night, with extremely loud POP CRACKLE tune. It basically sounds like a machine gun and has woke up my daughter at 2:30AM.

Sure, I'm a car guy too. I love nice sounding exhaust, and I like to open my window to hear it. But ripping through residential area in wide open throttle in 1st/2nd gear, or downtown where people are crowded, that's just straight up acehole move and deserves a much higher ticket IMO.

My only worry is that I hope cops cannot randomly pull people over with this very opinionated law. Unless they are start equipping cops with decibel meters...
Well said
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:43 PM   #6
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8RWD View Post

They will be targeting the problematic drivers, like the one you described, and the ones who need to draw attention to themselves because they have low self-esteem in life. I would like to see the BMW guy pull his stunts while driving "under" the Gardiner expressway, hope he doesn't have a convertible, or he'll have unwanted passengers...namely, crumbling cement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
I was at a pop-up car meet near the 400 and 407 last week that I've never been to before. Worst car meet I've ever been to in my life! After about 50 cars showed up a "two-step" sound-off started. For those unfamiliar with "two-step", it basically means inducing a backfire through some engine tuning. If you're near by, it's deafening to the point of being literally physically painful. Now picture a dozen cars doing this repeatedly, all at once for 5 minutes! I had to abandon my car and walk away until it was over. It's this kind of moronic behaviour that ruins it for everyone! But these f'ing idiots are too self-centered to care. Absolutely pathetic!
I think I know the show you mean, probably not a Muscle Car to be found in the group.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #7
Flybynight

Drives: 2015 Abarth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post

Seen a VW golf doing this at cayuga, sounded like a shot gun but even more ear piercing and all for 14 sec ET's. Like what's the point?
Flybynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:55 PM   #8
Snrub

Drives: Gone: 2017 Camaro SS
It's not clear to me if there is a clear standard of number of decibels measured at a set distance. It sounds like a new broader noise bylaw will have this, it's not clear whether this one does. If there is no standard, then it's ripe for abuse.

That said, I don't have a problem with a reasonable standard. Motorcycles are a bigger culprit, it amazes me what they get away with because the provincial laws are written in a broader sense. Sometimes they can be heard KMs away.

Another one is lawn mowers. Suburban life on a nice Saturday means non-stop lawn mower noise. Why not require a standard which means they're sold with a $5 muffler attached? If you can afford a home with a lawn, you can afford to buy a lawn mower with a minimal muffler. Lawn mowers don't have the "cool" excuse like a bike/car, quiet them down.
Snrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:53 AM   #9
Quix

Drives: 2016 2LT V6 Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stanley View Post
Stealth mode on the NPP now I guess
I don't think the NPP is loud enough, I don't think they're going after stock mufflers.
Quix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:39 PM   #10
chubs

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
This announcement was laced with irony.

1. They had to wait until the construction ended for the day to make the announcement because it was too loud.
2. The new units they described being in charge of enforcement were the motorcycle cops that drive the Harley's. Loudest vehicles in their entire fleet.

I work in Yorkville and can say that yes we do have a fair amount of cars that show up straight piped or tuned to crackle and pop. And some do indeed still cruise late at night. But we don't have the 2-steppers and generally I hear far more of these "offenders" they're looking for in Etobicoke, Scarborough or Vaughn.

I'm worried as someone else mentioned that this gives them far too many reasons to pull me over for tickets that are up to their discretion: tints, license plate covers and now noise too.
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:07 AM   #11
John Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quix View Post
I don't think the NPP is loud enough, I don't think they're going after stock mufflers.
My car has long tubes and cat deletes, but I kept the NPP mufflers. Loud in track mode, but still undetectable in stealth mode.

It is a very good option for making power, and noise, but can still drive thru my neighborhood at night and not feel like a jerk. I just wish others didn't think getting all the attention by being loud was Kool.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:17 AM   #12
Clin5910

Drives: 2016 2ss, whipple supercharged
Catless long tubes undetectable �� lmao
Clin5910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:43 AM   #13
John Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clin5910 View Post
Catless long tubes undetectable �� lmao
It’s a good thing the cops like the AC and the windows up. Not my daily, but still get worried when they are close by in traffic.