Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-14-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
ZL1 1LE Carbon Fiber Canard

So after going through four different sets from three different manufacturers, I finally got a set that met my standards. After acquiring the set, I had them refinished at a friend’s bodyshop with a couple coats of clear with a flex additive added to the mix to help with rock chips/etc. So far it has worked very well except on Saturday. Cruising on the freeway with my daughter in the car, some (add explicit name here) in a dark blue BMW goes flying by me in the right lane ( I’m in the second from right on a 5 lane freeway) doing roughly 110-120mph. (Keep in mind this freeway has the right three lanes exit onto a slight uphill right hand curve) No brains, no headaches! The cloud this fool left behind him kicked up all the dirt and sand onto me. ( my kid even asked me what all the sound was). Anyhow, I ended up taking a rock right on the lip edge of one of my canards. It held up really well but I can still see the chip. ( ocd). I had some extra matte black 3M vinyl so I made a strip to cover the front lip. I always felt like they needed something to tie them into the rest of the car. Now they match the wing perfectly with the lip matching the “X” decal on the wing. . What do you guys think? Sorry for the long read. Please feel free to move this if it is in the wrong section. I included one before pic for reference.
Attached Images

Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Looks right on. Some of the ones out there make me cry. These look like the real deal.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:08 PM   #3
Rnovrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Looks right on. Some of the ones out there make me cry. These look like the real deal.
Thank you. First set had holes in the back, second set was only finished on one side. Third set the carbon was laid funky and seamed to be cut short slightly in areas. Fourth set is another of set one with holes filled in with tinted resin. Then re-cleared. With all the shipping, returning and discussions with manufacturers, it took me roughly 3 months to get a decent set. Lol!
Old 04-14-2020, 07:15 PM   #4
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnovrit View Post
Thank you. First set had holes in the back, second set was only finished on one side. Third set the carbon was laid funky and seamed to be cut short slightly in areas. Fourth set is another of set one with holes filled in with tinted resin. Then re-cleared. With all the shipping, returning and discussions with manufacturers, it took me roughly 3 months to get a decent set. Lol!
You are welcome. You never gave up and you have results!
Old 04-14-2020, 09:34 PM   #5
BanOne

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
Who ended up making the successful set and how much. They look good.
BanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:46 PM   #6
~Jb

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Did I miss the brand?
Old 04-14-2020, 09:55 PM   #7
Rnovrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jb View Post
Did I miss the brand?
Nope. I left the brands out on purpose. I did not want to publicly flame any of them. I will say the end pair was from Trufiber but.... I had to modify (fill in holes) and refinish them. I was not able to locate a pair that was out of the box satisfactory for my standards. One thing to note is I’m really picky about fit, finish, materials so what does not make my requirements is probably more than acceptable for 99% of the population. I was looking for OEM type fit and finish which is difficult with aftermarket parts most times.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:30 PM   #8
BanOne

Quote:
Nope. I left the brands out on purpose. I did not want to publicly flame any of them. I will say the end pair was from Trufiber but.... I had to modify (fill in holes) and refinish them. I was not able to locate a pair that was out of the box satisfactory for my standards. One thing to note is I’m really picky about fit, finish, materials so what does not make my requirements is probably more than acceptable for 99% of the population. I was looking for OEM type fit and finish which is difficult with aftermarket parts most times.
Thanks for the info, how was the install, were they plug and play ?
Old 04-14-2020, 10:51 PM   #9
Rnovrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanOne View Post
Thanks for the info, how was the install, were they plug and play ?
Yep, went on just like factory pieces using the factory clips. I bought extra clips in case I broke one but ended up not needing them. Out of the three, the Trufiber seamed to have the best quality looking fastening points.

Last edited by Rnovrit; 04-14-2020 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:43 AM   #10
~Jb

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
I definitely understand and agree with you that there is no need to flame any brand specifically. With that said, some of us here are capable of constructive conversation and it usually becomes beneficial to save others from making costly mistakes.

It does sound like our OCD is very similar because from the pics and videos I have seen of most carbon fiber parts (exterior and interior) for the ZLE I have seen all have pretty clear visual fitment and questionable quality issues.

I have yet to see or find anything with that OEM fitment, which is why my ZLE is still wearing all stock body parts.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:05 AM   #11
Marty31

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10
Do they make a difference in lap times?
Marty31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:10 AM   #12
BanOne

Quote:
Yep, went on just like factory pieces using the factory clips. I bought extra clips in case I broke one but ended up not needing them. Out of the three, the Trufiber seamed to have the best quality looking fastening points.
Thanks for the response, one last question, did you have to remove the bumper cover to do it? I imagine you do but it has always made me nervous to try and pull and hank on the covers.

Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:35 AM   #13
SgtGuyver

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
I just wanted to add my .02 cents and say, I think the “matte” finish along the edge looks awesome ! Not only will it help with road debris, but it really ties in with the splitter.
Great Job !
Sarge
2010 Corvette Z06 AO (Lingenfelter)
2010 BMW 3 series
2008 Acura TL Type-S Silver (Daily)
2005 Dodge Ram SRT (4 door) Red
2001 Audi TT Quattro 225 Red
2015 Suzuki GSXR 1000
SgtGuyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:46 AM   #14
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanOne View Post
Thanks for the response, one last question, did you have to remove the bumper cover to do it? I imagine you do but it has always made me nervous to try and pull and hank on the covers.

Thanks again.
You can access them via the wheel well liner, w/o removing the bumper. Remove the wheel, it provides more room.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote