Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-02-2020, 12:14 AM   #1
Pcormier66

Drives: 2019 ZLE
Clear bra - what areas need protecting

Getting dealer to install clear bra before I pick up my ZLE. I was planning to do:
1. the 1/2 front end pattern which covers bumper and about 1/2 of the front fenders. Hood obviously doesn’t need it. Just the painter area around the hood.
2. Mirror caps
3 small squareish panel just In front of the rear fender.

I’m debating if I need the full front end to cover the entire front fenders. And should I do the headlights? Other know rock chip areas?

Thx
Pcormier66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:49 AM   #2
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
"Hood obviously doesn’t need it", sorry this is incorrect. The ZLE matte hood is very sensitive to stains, wax buildup, etc and requires too much care to keep looking nice--it's one place that shows issues a lot. When you get Xpel matte wrap like mine, it just looks a lot better than stock and you don't need to worry about stains. It looks less dry wrapped, looks like it should have from factory, and stays like that with bird$hit, oil, detailer, wax, almost anything.

Wrap the whole front clip, and if you plan to track it do the roof too--airflow sends gravel there and chips it.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:05 AM   #3
MR2620

Drives: 2017 ZL1 - Hyper Blue
I did full front end, rockers and bottom of the doors, and around the rear wheels. I've contemplated having the rear bumper done as well just because of the amount of dust and dirt that accumulates there in a very short amount of time. Very happy that I did it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
MR2620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:49 AM   #4
SliChillax

Drives: Camaro ZL1 A10, F-Type R, RR Sport
Roof
SliChillax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:36 AM   #5
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2620 View Post
I did full front end, rockers and bottom of the doors, and around the rear wheels. I've contemplated having the rear bumper done as well just because of the amount of dust and dirt that accumulates there in a very short amount of time. Very happy that I did it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
This is what I had covered on the initial go round. I went back to the installer 9 months later and had the rear bumper covered. Wiping off road grime at car shows swirled the heck out of the rear end. I haven’t had any issues with swirls since covering it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliChillax View Post
Roof
I have owned my car for almost four years. There are no chips on the a-pillars or front of the roof. In my opinion, It’s not worth doing the roof unless you’re going to cover the entire car in film.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:02 AM   #6
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
If I were to do it again, I'd drop the extra $2-3k and PPF the entire car, skip the ceramic coating (except for wheels), and just do the hydrophobic.

What I did was (not a ZLE) with Suntek Ultra self-healing PPF:
1) Full front including heat extractor and headlights. Emblems removed and replaced after film.
2) Rockers up to the body line in the door (this area takes a lot of hits from tires kicking up rocks)
3) Windshield surround.
4) Mirrors.
5) Behind the front and rear wheels (also takes a lot of hits).
6) Gtechniq Crystal Serum black ceramic coating on the entire car & wheels.
7) Gtechniq EXO durable hydrophobic coating entire car & wheels.

3 years later it still looks brand new.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:20 AM   #7
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
About the same for me. My "guy" covered the:
Entire front end
Mirrors
Rockers
Areas in front of and in back of the rear wheels
Windshield pillars

The above is a MINIMUM of what I would have done. More is better if your wallet wants to pay for it.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:25 AM   #8
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Just did the front bumper!
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:46 AM   #9
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Cover as much as possible, the clear and paint on these cars is terrible. 2500 miles and 4 very small nicks- 2 on hood, 1 front bumper and 1 just past clear bra already installed at rear wheel wells. I stay clear of other cars / trucks too. Not kidding, a good size, sharp grain of sand can chip the clear coat through to the paint. I’ll be doing the entire hood, front bumper, rockers and further back at rear quarters. Will hate paying for it (because the factory paint shouldn’t chip this easy) but will be happy when it’s done.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:47 AM   #10
turbo2ltr

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
How much can one expect to pay for a clearbra job? And anyone have "a guy" in Phoenix?
Old 08-02-2020, 10:53 AM   #11
passwords

Drives: 2019 ZLE, 2019 GT350R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Cover as much as possible, the clear and paint on these cars is terrible. 2500 miles and 4 very small nicks- 2 on hood, 1 front bumper and 1 just past clear bra already installed at rear wheel wells. I stay clear of other cars / trucks too. Not kidding, a good size, sharp grain of sand can chip the clear coat through to the paint. I’ll be doing the entire hood, front bumper, rockers and further back at rear quarters. Will hate paying for it (because the factory paint shouldn’t chip this easy) but will be happy when it’s done.
Cover the entire car if you can swing it. If you are like me and are bothered by road wear imperfections then having the entire car covered will make driving it a lot more enjoyable since the PPF will take almost all of the abuse. It also makes washing the car a lot less stressful since you don’t have to worry about putting fine scratches in the paint when wiping it down/drying. I covered just the front end on my GT350R and after that experience I sucked it up and paid to have the whole car covered when I got the ZLE. I skipped the ceramic coating on the ZLE too since From my experience that doesn’t provide a benefit that outweighs the cost.
passwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #12
JD64

Drives: '19 Camaro ZL1 A10 Riverside Blue
mine is getting done as we speak, just dropped it off friday afternoon.

full front bumper fascia/splitter
full hood
headlights
side skirts and lower section of the door to the lower body line
in front and rear of rear wheels
door handle cups .

using xpel ultimate plus.
the ppf will be ceramic coated.

was quoted $1800
Old 08-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #13
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
This is what I had done on my 2020 2SS... Very happy with the results...

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #14
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
This is what I had done on my 2020 2SS... Very happy with the results...

I second this suggestion in addition to having clear bra installed immediately behind the rear wheels. These are precisely the areas I had covered in Xpel Ultimate Plus. Cost: $2500.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote