Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-23-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
Mishimoto's 2016+ Camaro SS Performance Intake: UPDATE

Good afternoon everyone!

After our initial release of the Camaro SS intake, we had a few customers who, after installing the product and driving the car for a few miles, saw two specific issues. The first main problem was an initial check engine light (CEL) popping up after first turning the car on, or immediately after driving a few miles. The second issue was the air filter slipping off the mass airflow (MAF) sensor housing after a short period of driving, which would also cause the CEL to pop on.

If you tuned your current intake and are not having any issues with the air filters popping off, then there is no need to exchange your housing.

Mishimoto addressed the first issue by moving the MAF sensor lower in the housing and reducing the diameter of the housing to provide a more accurate reading of the MAF signal. Our testing has shown a 0-3% error from the stock MAF calibration. We tested this design over many weeks on the dyno and thousands of miles of road testing. These changes will eliminate anyone from having any CEL issues on a stock tune. The second change was extending the lip and adding a barb feature at the end of the housing to prevent the air filter from ever slipping off the housing during engine movement over the life of the product.

We apologize to any customers who might have had to deal with these issues with their initial purchase. Any customers who have purchased our intake can contact our CSR team at 1-877-466-4744 or submit a ticket at support@mishimoto.com, and a new replacement MAF housing will be sent to them free of charge.

Please let us know if you have any questions!
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
From: Mishimoto Customer Service [mailto:support@mishimoto.com]
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 1:42 PM
To: xxxxxxx
Subject: [#NHR-867-40047]: FW: Mishimoto Camaro Intake Update!

Hello!

Thanks for the email!

Our engineering team is currently aware of the rare case where users are getting bad AFR readings with this intake. We are currently in the works of revising this product to fix the AFR issues some users are seeing. At the current time, we are looking towards having a formal response to the Camaro community by the end of the month. If you would like to hang on until then for this update, we would be happy to get that worked out for you!

Please let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with.

Thanks,

Mishimoto Automotive

Glad you sorted this out.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
Karrottop009

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6 Spd
With the reduced outer diameter on the MAF housing, will there be a sleeve included so the tube does not rattle around in hole of heat shield? Or is the difference negligible in terms of fit?
Karrottop009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrottop009 View Post
With the reduced outer diameter on the MAF housing, will there be a sleeve included so the tube does not rattle around in hole of heat shield? Or is the difference negligible in terms of fit?
Great question!

It was actually the inner diameter of the MAF housing that we changed, so the sensor could get a more accurate reading. We've also lengthened the housing and added a barb to prevent the filter from falling off as well. The fit with this housing will be better given the updates we have made so far. Hope this helps!
Old 01-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Well done, Mishimoto!
Old 02-26-2017, 02:34 AM   #6
Karrottop009

I've put 4000ish miles on the intake with the original MAF tube. As of last night, the stock tube just started throwing CEL for lean condition. So, I installed the revised tube with lowered MAF mount flange and cleared the code. CEL came back that night. Going to try to solve with tuning the fuel maps.

For background, this is the only modification to the car, never been tuned. Sitting at just under 18k miles, has manual and NPP exhaust.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:34 AM   #7
oldman

How are you going to tune the fuel map? Do you have a wide band?
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #8
Karrottop009

I doubt I have wideband O2 maps on a stock ECU. I'm going to contact a local tuner who worked with Bad Bowtie's 6th gen to see what is adjustable in hopes that can at least tune injector duration to fix the AFR across the map. If it can't be done, then I'm just going back to stock air box since I don't have a ton of cash to try anything else.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #9
oldman

if "fixed" the MAF should NOT need any further tuning. I'd check all fittings and see if something else is hinky. Also the original Mishimoto MAF ran rich via my wideband.

Last edited by oldman; 02-26-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:04 PM   #10
Karrottop009

CEL went away again. Must be right at the limit of ECU's comfort zone. Double checked connections, everything still fully seated. Going to monitor over time and update later, have a feeling light going to come on and off variably. Won't be till mid March until I can afford tuning, so don't expect an update until.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:42 AM   #11
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrottop009 View Post
CEL went away again. Must be right at the limit of ECU's comfort zone. Double checked connections, everything still fully seated. Going to monitor over time and update later, have a feeling light going to come on and off variably. Won't be till mid March until I can afford tuning, so don't expect an update until.
Please keep us updated!
Old 02-28-2017, 08:57 PM   #12
heydudebro

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE Nightfall Grey
Received my updated MAF housing

I received my updated MAF housing over a week ago and the filter is no longer dropping off, there is alot more surface area as well as an additional barb that grips the inside of the air filter sleeve. Also the inner diameter of the new housing is a bit narrower but still retains the original outer diameter. So far no issues with CEL in SS1LE. Awesome service as usual Mishmoto.
Thanks again,
Gary
Attached Images

Last edited by heydudebro; 03-04-2017 at 10:52 AM.
heydudebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:53 PM   #13
oldman

Note to Mishimoto, I asked twice for this new MAF, you all messed up and did not send it to me. I asked again and said for the love of the one true god, send me it as I've been waiting with no CAI for almost a year. I got it today, JHK, it is the EXACT same MAF I already have no barb, not thicker.. NOTHING. I don't know why you want to torture me. I've done nothing but be a supporter of your product for years.
Attached Images

Last edited by oldman; 03-05-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #14
SprSprt

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I just got my new replacement maf in as well and it looks exactly like the old one. No barb or anything?? What gives Mishimoto??

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Note to Mishimoto, I asked twice for this new MAF, you all messed up and did not send it to me. I asked again and said for the love of the one true god, send me it as I've been waiting with no CAI for almost a year. I got it today, JHK, it is the EXACT same MAF I already have no barb, not thicker.. NOTHING. I don't know why you want to torture me. I've done nothing but be a supporter of your product for years.
SprSprt is offline   Reply With Quote