Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-04-2020, 06:35 AM   #1
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Will all Axle backs Fit once you Cut the Pipes?

Once you cut the stock suitcase stock muffler off at the pipes and install an axle back, will all the axle backs fit if you decide to get another one?

I have an MBRP axle back installed and cut the pipes as per the instructions- in line with the back of the rear frame cross member. Are all the axle backs the same- so could I buy a Borla or other system and will it simply clamp to the cut pipes? Or do different systems have different cut off points and I will need to make an adapter pipe, or cut more pipe off?

My MBRP is OK but drones at 1800 RPM. I am thinking I want a system that will not drone at all. I discarded the stock muffler as it was defective inside it somewhere as it rattled very bad at start up. I went with the MBRP as I installed two other MBRP systems on different cars and they both sounded great with no droning.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #2
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
They're all about the same spot. The different spots may have a negative effect though.

Should have done your research.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:26 AM   #3
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
Once you cut the stock suitcase stock muffler off at the pipes and install an axle back, will all the axle backs fit if you decide to get another one?

I have an MBRP axle back installed and cut the pipes as per the instructions- in line with the back of the rear frame cross member. Are all the axle backs the same- so could I buy a Borla or other system and will it simply clamp to the cut pipes? Or do different systems have different cut off points and I will need to make an adapter pipe, or cut more pipe off?

My MBRP is OK but drones at 1800 RPM. I am thinking I want a system that will not drone at all. I discarded the stock muffler as it was defective inside it somewhere as it rattled very bad at start up. I went with the MBRP as I installed two other MBRP systems on different cars and they both sounded great with no droning.
Not sure about the Borla axleback but my AWE touring requires the cut in almost the same place. I had to cut mine two inches aft of he rear cross member. Either way, exhaust can be can be extended if needed. Just have a reputable muffler shop add more pipe if needed.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:53 AM   #4
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
The Borla Atak for the SS is cut 7" from the back of the muffler. I would guess it's the same for the 1LT. If your other axle back was cut somewhere else you can buy pipe connectors (couplings) to take up for any space that was cut off. If the pipe is too long just cut it where the 7" is from the back of the muffler.
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:39 AM   #5
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
IDK about drone on a V6 but I had a Borla S axleback on my 2010 LS3 and it droned like a mofo at 1800.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
V6's seem to more easily drone when the exhaust tones are deep. When they are not deep, they tend to rasp.

There's just a ton of flat body surfaces that have no insulation or sound deadening in the car. You'll need to correct that (and add a bunch of weight in the process) to get a handle on drone if you want a nice deep exhaust.

There might be a happy middle ground, but you wont find it in anyone's products because it seems like exhaust shops dont bother spending any effort acoustically tuning their exhaust for the V6. They'll maybe do that on the V8, then test fit the product on the V6 (change the tube diameter so it fits and mounting bracket locations) and call it a day.

If you're handy with a welder or have a friend who is, a j-pipe setup might let you to test and change the length of the j so you can do your own custom acoustic tuning after some trials. I dont think anyone's done that though. We all just live with the drone or live with the rasp and pretend that we like it.

edit: actually there is another option. the npp (or any other electric bypass setup) route. Have your droney deep exhaust when you want to show off, then switch to a more extensively muffled exhaust sound when not. Though, i'm not sure how the npp system isn't labeled an electric exhaust cutout - which are usually illegal in most states. ..but hey.. wouldn't be the first time oem's are allowed to do something that the aftermarket isn't.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:08 AM   #7
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Actually I love the sound of the V6 exhaust with NPP. Since my car came without it and the stock muffler (without NPP) was defective, car out of warranty so I had to go aftermarket. I thought the MBRP system would be good- I listened to the videos, had a similar Hemoltz type system on my 2016 Miata and other MBRP systems on other cars. All sounded fantastic with no drone.

The drone is only at 1800 RPM- you can hear it change tone and drone as the tach hits 1800- not before or after. And if you are at 60 or so when it is at 1800 it just drones. At the 6-7K RPM there is the V6 rasp but I am not in that RPM when just lightly accelerating or cruising. But I always have to pass 1800 RPM in normal driving so you hear it.

It seems easy enough to go with another system by adding or subtracting pipe so I'll most likely go that route.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:53 PM   #8
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
This info about the drone on the MBRP axle back is very good to know. I was seriously considering this for my 2018 V6, but might shy away now. I definitely do not want any drone on my daily driver
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:17 PM   #9
cnc237

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Have you tried dynamat or something similar in the trunk. My understanding is the trunk is not insulated at all and I have heard you only hear the drone from the inside.

Just a thought and a possible quick solution.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:42 PM   #10
Jbanta1983

Drives: 2019 2ss 1LE
You'll be fine, you can always extend it or cut off more if you need to.
Jbanta1983 is offline   Reply With Quote