Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-08-2020, 03:02 PM   #29
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Just finished installing the Flowmaster. Drove it on the highway, city, and country roads, to try and get a thorough experience. Here are my initial impressions...Cold start is much louder and deeper. Even when warm it's way deeper and a little louder, and you can definitely here a slight deep burble when at a stop light and just idling. It's actually not a lot louder on the inside ( but much deeper and definitely somewhat louder) which is just fine with me. From the outside my girlfriend says it's a lot louder than before, and she would know, because she has drove behind me several times before when it was the stock exhaust. As far as drone goes it's almost next to nothing. Even in high gear and lugging along between 1500-2000 rpm you can detect a slight bit of a deep base like sound, but I wouldn't call that drone. Absolutely no rasp or anything like that. Just a nice deep tone with no popping or anything. Overall I'm very impressed with this exhaust. Fitment was spot on as well. When I get some time I'll post some videos.
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:20 PM   #30
Fire260

Drives: 2019 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Just finished installing the Flowmaster. Drove it on the highway, city, and country roads, to try and get a thorough experience. Here are my initial impressions...Cold start is much louder and deeper. Even when warm it's way deeper and a little louder, and you can definitely here a slight deep burble when at a stop light and just idling. It's actually not a lot louder on the inside ( but much deeper and definitely somewhat louder) which is just fine with me. From the outside my girlfriend says it's a lot louder than before, and she would know, because she has drove behind me several times before when it was the stock exhaust. As far as drone goes it's almost next to nothing. Even in high gear and lugging along between 1500-2000 rpm you can detect a slight bit of a deep base like sound, but I wouldn't call that drone. Absolutely no rasp or anything like that. Just a nice deep tone with no popping or anything. Overall I'm very impressed with this exhaust. Fitment was spot on as well. When I get some time I'll post some videos.
That's cool man.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:44 PM   #31
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire260 View Post
That's cool man.
Thanks! Honestly I can now see no reason to go with a high end system like Borla. My biggest worry was about drone and fitment with any other brand besides Borla. For the extra $200 or so it's just not worth it IMO. Especially considering the Flowmaster sounds every bit as good from what I've seen. And if the MBRP is just as good as well, then it's even a better overall bargain.

Here is a cold start

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tEDudU59J3rP99p97

Last edited by HCI2000SS; 05-09-2020 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:25 PM   #32
KKamaro

Drives: 2022 Satin Steel LT1 M6
Thanks for all the information here. I wish I read through these posts before tackling my axle-back. Currently on a tighter budget and went with NXT Step. The quality, appearance, and sound were fantastic. The only problem was a pretty intense drone at 2k rpm under load. Unfortunately, that is right around cruising speed. Lots of hills here in VT, so that range is hit often. The drone got so bad that it was giving me a headache. Weird thing is some passengers said it wasn't that bad. As I learn more about exhaust drone, I am finding that it is more of a 'feeling' than a 'sound' and affects people differently.
The startup sounds and growl at everywhere else in the rpm range was excellent, but just wasn't worth the drone at 2k. I like to cruise in this car and started to not enjoy rides. I ended up putting the stock exhaust back on and enjoy the car again. Problem is, since I removed the stock sound tube because of installing an Airaid MIT, the car is really quiet now.
I figure I would save up for a Borla since they claim 'zero drone'. However, learning from these posts, it seems that Flowmaster or MBRP may work.
KKamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:08 PM   #33
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKamaro View Post
Thanks for all the information here. I wish I read through these posts before tackling my axle-back. Currently on a tighter budget and went with NXT Step. The quality, appearance, and sound were fantastic. The only problem was a pretty intense drone at 2k rpm under load. Unfortunately, that is right around cruising speed. Lots of hills here in VT, so that range is hit often. The drone got so bad that it was giving me a headache. Weird thing is some passengers said it wasn't that bad. As I learn more about exhaust drone, I am finding that it is more of a 'feeling' than a 'sound' and affects people differently.
The startup sounds and growl at everywhere else in the rpm range was excellent, but just wasn't worth the drone at 2k. I like to cruise in this car and started to not enjoy rides. I ended up putting the stock exhaust back on and enjoy the car again. Problem is, since I removed the stock sound tube because of installing an Airaid MIT, the car is really quiet now.
I figure I would save up for a Borla since they claim 'zero drone'. However, learning from these posts, it seems that Flowmaster or MBRP may work.
I looked at that NXT axle back as well. Price and quality looked outstanding, but the size and shape of those mufflers is what turned me away. And your experience basically backs up what I suspected. When you consider the V6 naturally has a higher pitched and more raspy type note just based on design, then it seems obvious that aftermarket setups need to be chosen wisely.

I ran that Airaid MIT for a while as well, but I could barely tell a difference in sound. Maybe very slight, but very little. Since then I went with a AEM Momentum GT CAI, and hooked the sound tube back up. That made a pretty big difference in sound
Old 07-13-2021, 09:33 AM   #34
KKamaro

Drives: 2022 Satin Steel LT1 M6
Thanks for the reply post. I am actually considering putting the sound tube back. Hoping it goes back in as easily as it came out. I took it out originally because the Airaid tube didn’t have a connection. Also have to admit that I thought pumped in sound was hokey, but now I actually miss it. I will have to check out that AEM CAI. Thanks again!
KKamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:27 AM   #35
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKamaro View Post
Thanks for the reply post. I am actually considering putting the sound tube back. Hoping it goes back in as easily as it came out. I took it out originally because the Airaid tube didn’t have a connection. Also have to admit that I thought pumped in sound was hokey, but now I actually miss it. I will have to check out that AEM CAI. Thanks again!
I though I felt the same way about the sound tube being kind of gimmicky and whatnot, but in my opinion it sounds great with a good cold air setup like the AFE and others. Gives it a nice deep throaty type sound that adds a nice complement to the exhaust. Putting it back in is just as easy as taking it out. Really simple.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:39 PM   #36
peteric

Drives: 2016 camaro
My car has AFE Momentum intake that I bought from 4wheelonline. Can't say if there's an hp gain but I love the sound. It looks nice in the engine bay also.
peteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:32 PM   #37
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteric View Post
My car has AFE Momentum intake that I bought from 4wheelonline. Can't say if there's an hp gain but I love the sound. It looks nice in the engine bay also.
Yeah it's a good unit.. You run yours with or without the block off plug?
Old 01-22-2024, 12:56 PM   #38
Max_Burnside

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6 3.6L
MBRP Axle Back "DRONE" in cabin Feedback Wanted

Hey everyone. I'm new here and thanks in advance for accepting my join request.

I'm getting the MBRP Axle back exhaust in the mail but there's only one video of the interior of the cabin I sa (after ordering) and the cell phone mic picked a LOT of drone vibration which sounded like a loud hum. I don't want but a little bit of sound on the interior of the cabin so its between the Flowmaster Super 44 series with Delta Flow Tech and the MBRP.

So has anyone done a comparison on these two as far as drone is concerned? Either way, if you have one can you all give me a "Drone Rating" of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst on both so I can decide if I'm going to send the MBRP back or not? I appreciate any comments. Thanks again.
Max_Burnside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 07:06 AM   #39
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I have an MBRP axle back and its got the resonator for drone, and it works. Drone is not the sound in the cabin it's a very specific frequency range that reverberates in the cabin and can give you a headache, if it's bad enough.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 07:14 AM   #40
Max_Burnside

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6 3.6L
Ok, so no drone or some drone or bad drone? Thanks in advance. I think I'm going to return these MBRP's and get the Borla S-Type because they guarantee no drone and someone has already confirmed the Flowmaster 44's had some drone to it. He replaced with Borla and has zero drone.
Max_Burnside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 06:24 PM   #41
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
I had my resonator and muffler replaced with a x pipe and mbrp axle back 18k miles ago. I love it and I'm almost 62 yo.